International student fast track!

Old May 30th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International student fast track!

I am currently in Qld doing a 2 year course in hairdressing, I have completed 14 months now, and was told at the college that I could fast track my course and complete be December 2006 instead of April 2007, as I am competent with all the skills. If I was to finish before the 2 years will this stop me being able to apply as an independent onshore student! Even if I complete all the hours for 2 years by December?
As I am not sure and do not want to do anything to jeopardise my visa for permanent residency.
I would be grateful for any advice, especially if someone has already done this.
many thanks
Old May 30th 2006, 12:47 pm

Default Re: International student fast track!

I would suggest you speak with a migration agent. Think fast track
would stop applying as independent student but you could probably apply
for direct skilled migration. Again, we are not migration agents,
which school and what do they say? Ciao Andrew Australian
International Education Centre AIEC

Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

see if you can find Paul&Nic as they're the haridressing students, and they might know!

the 2 years you need to complete is 2 academic years which, I believe, translates into about 16 months with no holidays... so if you finish early but have done the 16months of academic work then you might be already....

you should also email the student visa people - address is on the DIMIA website!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: International student fast track!

Originally Posted by YoSemite
Hey

see if you can find Paul&Nic as they're the haridressing students, and they might know!

the 2 years you need to complete is 2 academic years which, I believe, translates into about 16 months with no holidays... so if you finish early but have done the 16months of academic work then you might be already....

you should also email the student visa people - address is on the DIMIA website!
Thanks for info, have had loads of holidays 6 weeks xmas, easter etc, so I think I just do the 2 years and then know I will have less things to worry about when it comes to PR.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: International student fast track!

Originally Posted by Corkhead
I am currently in Qld doing a 2 year course in hairdressing, I have completed 14 months now, and was told at the college that I could fast track my course and complete be December 2006 instead of April 2007, as I am competent with all the skills. If I was to finish before the 2 years will this stop me being able to apply as an independent onshore student! Even if I complete all the hours for 2 years by December?
As I am not sure and do not want to do anything to jeopardise my visa for permanent residency.
I would be grateful for any advice, especially if someone has already done this.
many thanks
HI

Where are you doing your hairdressing course as I am going to apply for 1 but have been told I will only get 2 weeks off at Christmas and then a further 2 weeks for the year..... Not great as I would like to have some holidays to work full time.
Many thanks
Esther
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:59 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for info, have had loads of holidays 6 weeks xmas, easter etc, so I think I just do the 2 years and then know I will have less things to worry about when it comes to PR.
Hi CH,

The only really reliable way to pre-test a college's claims that your studies are ok is to see if someone in the ASPC will confirm it for you. And that of itself might be a challenge. If you're in no rush then I think your approach is rational.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:01 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I would suggest you speak with a migration agent. Think fast track
would stop applying as independent student but you could probably apply
for direct skilled migration. Again, we are not migration agents,
which school and what do they say? Ciao Andrew Australian
International Education Centre AIEC
Hi Andrew,

So out of interest what do your TAFE and business college clients say about the 16 months?

And what do you mean by "direct skilled migration"??? :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

many thanks
From www.immi.gov.au (don't know how to post the link). I also attended a PR seminar at Uni by DIMA and this was discussed although I didn't pay full attention at the time as this aspect is not applicable to me

What is meant by two (2) years full-time study?
Two (2) years full-time study means four (4) terms/semesters over a total period of at least 16 months. This recognises that many educational institutions have introduced new academic year arrangements whereby three (3) trimesters of equal length are offered in a single calendar year rather than the traditional two (2) semesters. If the 16 months of study does not comprise of four (4) terms/semesters then you will not satisfy this requirement.

Traditional summer semesters of study may contribute towards satisfying the two (2) years of study requirement provided the study was full-time.

Two (2) years of study undertaken in less than 16 months is not acceptable because it reduces the actual time you have spent studying in Australia.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your information.
I have been told that total course time has to cover at least 72 weeks of full time study, over a period of longer than 16 months, this has been confirmed both by the tafe and a so called "international student visa expert"
I am still not 100% sure, but we have a girl who fast tracked in June and is now going through the PR process, she should know in a few weeks, so I will keep you all posted on her progress.
Cheers
CH