Wikiposts

Initial Thoughts

Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

ja109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial Thoughts

Morning All.
My husband and I are thinking about migrating to Australia in a few years under the Skilled Workers visa. We are both 28 and know that we get 5 extra points for being under the age of 30. In general, how long does the visa process take in total? If we get the visa, do we have to go immediately or can we hang on until we are ready? If so, how long can we hang on for until we have to go?

Many thanks for your help.
Jo
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial Thoughts

would say timelines for applications difficult to guess at since change to on-line applications as they seem to be progressing faster than paper apps. You do have 12 months to validate your visa but this date is from date of meds or PCC whichever is soonest, so if you want to stall, don't frontload.
Good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ja109
Morning All.
My husband and I are thinking about migrating to Australia in a few years under the Skilled Workers visa. We are both 28 and know that we get 5 extra points for being under the age of 30. In general, how long does the visa process take in total? If we get the visa, do we have to go immediately or can we hang on until we are ready? If so, how long can we hang on for until we have to go?

Jo

Jo,

You will have to validate the visa i.e. go on a trip to australia as per the previous post but you do not have to move then!!!!

The PR visa lasts for 5 years and will have an expiry date - as long as you validate you will have until the date on the visa to make the move permanently. The only disadvantage being that you will not be able to apply for citizenship until you have lived there for 4 (I think - recently changed) years!!!! You can stay in Australia even if the visa has expired .......... More difficult to travel out of country though....

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Regards,

Laura
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, good point! Forgot that you can validate wita trip
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ja109
Morning All.

Jo
Our whole experience took 8 months from collating the TRA skills assessment to getting the visa.

Sam
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:12 am
Just Joined

ja109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone.
Thanks a lot for your help so far. Plenty of food for thought for us to think about. Kind regards. Jo