British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Initial entry 15 months after meds/PCC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/initial-entry-15-months-after-meds-pcc-568752/)

commonwealth Oct 22nd 2008 11:29 pm

Initial entry 15 months after meds/PCC

My 136 visa was granted recently with the condition that I enter Australia before March 2009, which is 15 months from my medicals and police clearances. Is this an abberation? Any similar instances with other visa grantees?

Dorothy Oct 22nd 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Initial entry 15 months after meds/PCC

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 6901065)
My 136 visa was granted recently with the condition that I enter Australia before March 2009, which is 15 months from my medicals and police clearances. Is this an abberation? Any similar instances with other visa grantees?

Why question it? Your grant letter gives you until March 2009 to enter.

Pollyana Oct 22nd 2008 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6901072)
Why question it? Your grant letter gives you until March 2009 to enter.

Yep, its not cast in stone that it has to be 12 months. If DIAC are happy, go with it :)

vlooi Oct 23rd 2008 7:32 am

Just out of interest: how long was your processing time from application to visa grant and for what visa was it? Are you from a high risk country?

commonwealth Oct 23rd 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by vlooi (Post 6901867)
Just out of interest: how long was your processing time from application to visa grant and for what visa was it? Are you from a high risk country?

It was for a 136 visa, took me ~16 months. Yes, I'm from a "high-risk" country and I'm aware they did additional background checks on me (which delayed the entire process by ~4 months after CO allocation). However, I noted that many applicants from my country received their visas much earlier (I think the additional checks are done randomly / on case-to-case basis).

vlooi Oct 23rd 2008 12:50 pm

It seems as though DIAC perhaps took that in account then! I am happy for you that it worked out like this. Enjoy your life in Oz.

commonwealth Oct 23rd 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by vlooi (Post 6902524)
It seems as though DIAC perhaps took that in account then! I am happy for you that it worked out like this. Enjoy your life in Oz.

Thanks! All my patience and prayers paid off. The delay was a blessing in disguise, because if it wasn't delayed I would have entered Oz earlier and have converted all my cash at a time when the USD-AUD forex rate was high. Now I can buy more AUDs. =)