Indian Police Clearance Certificates

Old Feb 14th 2002, 10:27 am
Bok

Default Indian Police Clearance Certificates

To anyone who is thinking of applying for an Indian police clearance certificate -
start as soon as you can. I applied for a certificate from Mumbai and the process
was harrowing. The place to apply is the Passport Office in the Bengal Chemicals
building (if you're in Mumbai). From there it's sent to the CID office at Crawford
Market from where it gets sent to your local police station. Though they don't tell
you this, you're supposed to follow your application and show up at the police
station at some point to prove that you actually do live where you do (take
electricity, telephone bills, ration card, 2 passport photos, any other scrap of
paper you can find..) So then it goes back to the CID office where they'll hold on
to your application for a month or so, apparently to see if it lays eggs. After a
lot of arguing, cajoling, pleading, etc. I got them to clear my application within a
week. Finally it goes back to the passport office, which takes three days to file
your papers and then you have to go there and explain to them that there will be
horrible consequences to your life if you don't get your certificate on the same day
(all they're supposed to do is print the piece of paper and stamp it). Eventually
they'll hand it to you, leaving you with a wonderful feeling that now you can deal
with any crap that anyone throws at you.

Oh, and interestingly enough, there is a big board at the passport office that says
that a Police Clearance Certificate can be obtained in one hour.

Good luck!

Old Feb 14th 2002, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

jaihanumanjee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Indian Police Clearance Certificates

You are right.It is very difficult to get PCC in New Delhi.Bok,
How did you get the PCC in a week's time?Right now,I have
submitted my application for PCC at New Delhi.The trend of
Police SHO giving clearence is discontinued for last 6 months.
It is against the law.
CID takes time and I dont know what they do if the applicant
moves out of the country.
Old Feb 15th 2002, 1:45 am
Bok

It took a little over two weeks to get the PCC, but that was after several trips to
the CID office. They do have a priority processing request procedure for which you
have to prove why you need your PCC urgently. I did that (showed them the letter from
Adelaide) but in the end it was constantly bugging them that paid off. Apparently
they get over a 1000 new passport and PCC applications a day, so the delay can be
significant.

It would be a little difficult for you to go overseas while your PCC is processing
since the passport office keeps your passport for the duration (at least here in
Mumbai). You can withdraw your application (ask them to return your passport with 'no
services') and apply at an Indian consulate/embassy abroad - they tend to be quicker
(fewer applicants). You can always call up the embassy/consulate from Delhi to ask
them how long it takes to get a PCC.

Old Feb 16th 2002, 4:25 am
Livingfree

Wow, really unbelievable.

I went to the same building to get my PCC in Mumbai too. I went armed with the form,
photos , passport, photocopies, cash etc. I was told at the submission counter it
might take a month. And if i want it earlier I need to go visit the CID office with
the token number.

But would u believe it? I got my passport stamped and all, with the PCC by REGISTERED
post in 10 days!!

I felt like going to the passport office and personally thanking them. Will wonders
never cease??! )

Cheers Rupali

Old Feb 18th 2002, 7:45 am
Jb

Welcome 2 India !!!!

Old Feb 18th 2002, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the poorest and most corrupted state of Europe (except for Russia) but such things do not happen here. When I asked for the police certificate I had 2 options: wait for it 3 weeks or pay a small fee (~1.5 USD) and get it in two or three days. I got the paper in 3 days.

Urghh.. some places are ugly.
Old Feb 19th 2002, 3:25 am
Livingfree

well mxqth, with the population of the size of India, the things do get difficult. I
wouldn't call it ugly, just difficult.

Cheers

mxqth <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I live in the poorest and most corrupted state of Europe (except for Russia) but
    > such things do not happen here. When I asked for the police certificate I had 2
    > options: wait for it 3 weeks or pay a small fee (~1.5 USD) and get it in two or
    > three days. I got the paper in 3 days.
    >
    > Urghh.. some places are ugly.

Old Feb 27th 2002, 1:45 pm
Alps

Dear BOK and L99

Cheers for you! I submitted my and my spouse's PP for PCC. Guess what! I got her PP
the same day and mine -> I dont know!!! How long it will take.

Absurd thing this is -> Since we had changed Residence and my wifes name also had to
be changed. At that time we had recd a post card regarding PCC, where she had to
visit the PS, but we were late by more then a month, so they we would have to apply
again, etal. So when I applied for both of our PCC, I had expected that her PP would
take time, BUT LO BEHOLD, she got hers and I am stuck! LOL ! Indian Police!

Cheers to all!

Alps

[email protected]

[email protected] (Livingfree) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > well mxqth, with the population of the size of India, the things do get difficult.
    > I wouldn't call it ugly, just difficult.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    >
    >
    > mxqth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I live in the poorest and most corrupted state of Europe (except for Russia) but
    > > such things do not happen here. When I asked for the police certificate I had 2
    > > options: wait for it 3 weeks or pay a small fee (~1.5 USD) and get it in two or
    > > three days. I got the paper in 3 days.
    > >
    > > Urghh.. some places are ugly.