Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Independent Sponsored Category - Work Experience Question

Independent Sponsored Category - Work Experience Question

Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

ChrisA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Independent Sponsored Category - Work Experience Question

Hello there

I am thinking now of applying for immigration to Australia under the Independent category.

OK I have thought about my work exeperience as follows

1) Totally Jewish: February -March 2000
2) Global Asian: March – May 2000
3) ACT Teleconferencing: June 2000 – April 2001
4) BP: May 2001 – November 2001
5) Kidde: November 2001 – February 2002
6) EC Logistics: June 2002 – September 2002
7) Choice Introductions: October 2002 – January 2003

Q1) Do you think this constiutes 3 years work experience?
Q2) Will they ask for references for each of the above positions?

Im thinking of applying for Independent Category (either Dec or Jan)?

Cheers

Chris
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:30 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independent Sponsored Category - Work Experience Question

> Originally posted by ChrisA
> Q1) Do you think this constiutes 3 years work experience?

You didn't mention what your job scopes/duties were. You can strike off your experiences that aren't on the SOL.

> Q2) Will they ask for references for each of the above positions?

Yes, DIMIA will require detailed work references, and your skills assessing authority may also require them, too.

Peter
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pete

OK all skills are IT. I am applying under MODL - Information Systems - Analyst Programmer.

I can get references for all but 2 of those positions. So that leaves me short?

Cheers

Chris
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:45 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ChrisA
OK all skills are IT. I am applying under MODL - Information Systems - Analyst Programmer.

I can get references for all but 2 of those positions. So that leaves me short?
Only the ACS themselves will be able to answer that question with 100% certainty - via the skills assessment process.

In any case, you will fail to get a positive skills assessment, as you do not have the mandatory 4 years minimum (for holders of equivalent Aussie bachelor's degrees with major in IT). You should read up on this if you have not yet gotten a skills assessment from the ACS. http://www.acs.org.au/ under "Assessment for Migration".

Generally, if you cannot get any form of work reference from your former companies, you will need to somehow prove your skilled, fulltime and paid employment with them - payslips, employment letters, letters of commendation, letters of promotion, letters from ex-colleagues, plus a statutory declaration explaining how all these evidence would relate to your un-referenced employment, so to speak.

The onus is on you to prove that you were actually employed in these positions in a fulltime, paid and skilled manner.

Peter
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Peter

My assessment is with the ACS at the moment. I dont have the 4 years work experience but I have a first degree in Computer Science and a Masters in Human Compute Systems from a UK university.

OK I think Independent category is out for me. Those posts i worked in were on a contract basis. I only have first degree , Masters and 26-30 months of experience.

Nope looks like I have to be sponsored under designated area sponsored category. Just thought Independent might be worth a shot.

chris
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:04 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

My assessment is with the ACS at the moment. I dont have the 4 years work experience but I have a first degree in Computer Science and a Masters in Human Compute Systems from a UK university.

OK I think Independent category is out for me. Those posts i worked in were on a contract basis. I only have first degree , Masters and 26-30 months of experience.

Nope looks like I have to be sponsored under designated area sponsored category.
Chris,

1) When did ACS receive your application? If it was received after or on Oct 1, 2002, you will be assessed using the new guidelines, i.e. minimum of 4 years of IT experience for Group A qualifications, or no go.

2) Skilled Designated Area Sponsored applicants will still need to get a positive skills assessment. If your answer to (1) above is "after Oct 1, 2002", I'm afraid to say you may not be getting a positive assessment from ACS, and thus will not be eligible for any skilled visas for the time being.

Peter
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Peter

It was sent on 22nd Sept which got there I think on 26th Sept
But they sent an acknowledgement on 3rd October

Shit! there goes my application. I have to wait another year (2004)
and gain 4 years work experience

Bollocks!

Chris

Originally posted by ptlabs
Chris,

1) When did ACS receive your application? If it was received after or on Oct 1, 2002, you will be assessed using the new guidelines, i.e. minimum of 4 years of IT experience for Group A qualifications, or no go.

2) Skilled Designated Area Sponsored applicants will still need to get a positive skills assessment. If your answer to (1) above is "after Oct 1, 2002", I'm afraid to say you may not be getting a positive assessment from ACS, and thus will not be eligible for any skilled visas for the time being.

Peter
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:15 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

It was sent on 22nd Sept which got there I think on 26th Sept
But they sent an acknowledgement on 3rd October

Shit! there goes my application. I have to wait another year (2004)
and gain 4 years work experience
Chris,

What was the date of receipt (as opposed to date of the ack) as written on ACS' ack? That's the date that counts. If they wrote something like "thank you for your application that was received on xx/9/2002..." then you're in luck.

Peter
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

HI Peter

OK this is their e-mail as follows

Subject :ACS Skills Assessment Acknowledgement for Mr Christopher Alagan Asaipillai
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application for assessment by: Mr Christopher Alagan Asaipillai

Thank you for your application to the Australian Computer Society for a skills assessment.

You have been allocated the ID Number xxxxx which you should quote in any communications with the Society.

This notification may also be used as confirmation to the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) that you have lodged an application with the ACS.

The assessment takes approximately 10 weeks to complete, should we in the meantime require additional information you shall be contacted.

With thanks.

Skills Assessment Processing Department.
Australian Computer Society.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im quite worried that the rules are being tightned up for migration, so Im going to hurry this application along

Regards

Chris
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:23 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

OK this is their e-mail as follows

<snip>

Im quite worried that the rules are being tightned up for migration, so Im going to hurry this application along
The email doesn't mention when they got your application. I just dug up mine, and mine doesn't state the date of receipt either.

All you can do now is wait for the few weeks to pass and see how your assessment turns out to be. There isn't much for you to hurry now, as it's out of your hands at the moment.

If you sent your ACS application via a courier service, and managed to track its delivery all the way to the ACS front desk, then that date would most likely be the one that'll be used to determine when the ACS got your application, and thus which set of guidelines will apply to your application.

Good luck.

Peter