Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Independent skilled visa from within Australia

Wikiposts

Independent skilled visa from within Australia

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Independent skilled visa from within Australia

If I enter Australia on a temporary business visa, can I still have granted an Independent Skilled Visa for Permanent Residence. I would have submitted the Skilled Independent visa before leaving the UK.

Is there any reason that you can't be in Oz when a PR visa is granted

thanks
Old Feb 4th 2003, 12:08 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independent skilled visa from within Australia

You can't be in Australia when most skilled permanent residency visas are granted because the Migration Regulations say so ...

The main exception is the Skilled-Overseas Student visas which are designated onshore visas.

Best regards.

Originally posted by sundarize
If I enter Australia on a temporary business visa, can I still have granted an Independent Skilled Visa for Permanent Residence. I would have submitted the Skilled Independent visa before leaving the UK.

Is there any reason that you can't be in Oz when a PR visa is granted

thanks
Old Feb 4th 2003, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

the "first" visa is an Independent Executive one. Is it not possible to return to the UK for a week when the Independent Skilled one arrives and then re-enter on that?
Old Feb 4th 2003, 12:32 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ... you can be anywhere outside Australia when the permanent residency visa is granted ... most people head for Auckland or Singapore to have the permanent visa evidenced in their passport, but you could equally travel back to London for the same purpose.

Best regards.

Originally posted by sundarize
the "first" visa is an Independent Executive one. Is it not possible to return to the UK for a week when the Independent Skilled one arrives and then re-enter on that?
Old Feb 4th 2003, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats good, so its a regularly adopted approach?

Does the issue of one visa also automatically cancel the first one?

Particular detail is.......

Opportunity to go on a 457 Independent Executive visa and work freelance for half a dozen consultancies. Can yet out there on this basis in a matter of weeks.

But this route demands that after 4 years I have to show that my business is turning over $200,000 per year and I employ 3 staff. Thats not particularly a problem, but it would be nice to have PR earlier than 4 years and without the commitment to doing this (if an employed job offer came along, it would be nice to be able to consider it).

Any particular problem you know of with this approach?