Increase in Immigration Fees

Old Jun 19th 2002, 9:21 am
Suketu Kapadia

Default Increase in Immigration Fees

Hello,

I read in a couple of postings that the skilled migration fees are going up from 1
July 2002.

I tried looking up the DIMA website and the latest 990i on the site - there does not
seem to be any mention of any increase. (May be I did not look hard enough).

If there is such an increase - when should the DIMA receive the application to
qualify for the lower fees. I mean is it enough that the DIMA simply receive it
before 30 June, 2002.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Old Jun 19th 2002, 9:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increase in Immigration Fees

Hi Suketu.

The present visa application fees apply for applications received by DIMIA on or before 30/06/2002.

In the past there have been a few days grace allowed - but I'd not rely on that.

And you are correct in saying that DIMIA haven't yet updated their website. I believe the legislation only cleared Parliament last Friday, and 3 working days is clearly far too soon for the Department's website to be updated ...:-))

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-co-dot-uk
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.co.uk, and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Old Jun 19th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jaj

If DIMIA receive your application on or before the 30 June 2002, then the existing
fee should apply.

Jeremy

>On 19 Jun 2002 01:17:14 -0700, [email protected] (Suketu Kapadia)
    >wrote: Hello,
    >
    >I read in a couple of postings that the skilled migration fees are going up from 1
    >July 2002.
    >
    >I tried looking up the DIMA website and the latest 990i on the site - there does not
    >seem to be any mention of any increase. (May be I did not look hard enough).
    >
    >If there is such an increase - when should the DIMA receive the application to
    >qualify for the lower fees. I mean is it enough that the DIMA simply receive it
    >before 30 June, 2002.
    >
    >Would appreciate any help.
    >
    >Thanks.

Old Jun 19th 2002, 10:21 pm
George Lombard

Hi Alan,

>The present visa application fees apply for applications received by DIMIA on or
    >before 30/06/2002.

Correct.

>In the past there have been a few days grace allowed - but I'd not rely on that.

Don't know what planet these "few days grace" were allowed on but it wasn't this one.
The last fee increase was in April 2001 and was not advertised. We had papers
returned from Islamabad unopened, and in the case of London, LA and the Hague were
allowed to send a receipt for the balance of the fee. We just don't know what will
happen in the case of Adelaide and if you can't be sure that the papers will be
received by next Friday, don't send them.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 7:20 am
Jsuppal

Hi

You should target for your application to reach the Adelaide Skills Processing Centre
or appropriate post no later than Thursday 27 June 2002. This will give you a one day
buffer - because Friday 28 June is the last working day in most countries.

BTW the fee changes were gazetted on 14 June 2002, and come into effect on 01 July
2002. You can expect to see them on the DIMIA website around the 28/29 of June.

Best Wishes.

J S Uppal Registered Migration Agent No: 9803103 Sydney, Australia.
http://firms.findlaw.com/JSUppal Fax: + 61 2 4628 6003 Tel: + 61 2 4628 0819 Mob: +
61 40 344 9761

Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:20 pm
Noiseboy

We sent our Skilled - Australian Sponsored PR application (Finally, Hurrah! & with
130 points!) on Saturday 22nd by Royal Mail Swiftair. By our calculations it should
reach Adelaide before Friday 30th and hopefully we'll be OK for the current fee. The
increase will be nearly £250 - ouch! Is that an indication of a shift towards
deterring of immigration? Obviously we are a little apprehensive that if the
application is late we could be looking at unanticipated expense.

> If DIMIA receive your application on or before the 30 June 2002, then the existing
    > fee should apply.
    >
    > Jeremy

Old Jun 29th 2002, 9:20 am
Suketu Kapadia

Hi !

Well, as luck would have it my app did not go off till 25th of June. But the courier
(DHL - they are SLOW) confirmed delivery on the 30th of June at 2.00 pm.

Hopefully that should be good enough and not to attract the new fee structure.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

[email protected] (JSUppal) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > You should target for your application to reach the Adelaide Skills Processing
    > Centre or appropriate post no later than Thursday 27 June 2002. This will give you
    > a one day buffer - because Friday 28 June is the last working day in most
    > countries.
    >
    > BTW the fee changes were gazetted on 14 June 2002, and come into effect on 01 July
    > 2002. You can expect to see them on the DIMIA website around the 28/29 of June.
    >
    > Best Wishes.
    >
    > J S Uppal Registered Migration Agent No: 9803103 Sydney, Australia.
    > http://firms.findlaw.com/JSUppal Fax: + 61 2 4628 6003 Tel: + 61 2 4628 0819 Mob: +
    > 61 40 344 9761

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 11:20 pm
Noiseboy

In article <[email protected]> ,
[email protected] (Suketu Kapadia) wrote:

> Hi !
    >
    > Well, as luck would have it my app did not go off till 25th of June. But the
    > courier (DHL - they are SLOW) confirmed delivery on the 30th of June at 2.00 pm.
    >
    > Hopefully that should be good enough and not to attract the new fee structure.
    >
    > Any thoughts ?
    >

> > Hi
    > >
    > > You should target for your application to reach the Adelaide Skills Processing
    > > Centre or appropriate post no later than Thursday 27 June 2002. This will give
    > > you a one day buffer - because Friday 28 June is the last working day in most
    > > countries.
    > >
    > > BTW the fee changes were gazetted on 14 June 2002, and come into effect on 01
    > > July 2002. You can expect to see them on the DIMIA website around the 28/29
    > > of June.
    > >

I sent our application to Adelaide on 22/6/02 Royal Mail Swiftair. There was no
true guarantee it was going to get there before July 1st and consequently we were
uncertain if it would be processed at the cost of the old fee. Well today (July
3rd) I had A$1175 debited from my account via Visa so either it got there before
last Monday or the date of posting was acceptable. Quite a relief really, that's a
saving of £250!

--
Noiseboy

Old Jul 4th 2002, 6:21 am
Suketu Kapadia

Well, my credit card has not been debited yet. I presume they do it in the order they
receive the apps.

Thanks for the inputs.

Noiseboy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > In article <[email protected]> ,
    > [email protected] (Suketu Kapadia) wrote:
    >
    >
    > I sent our application to Adelaide on 22/6/02 Royal Mail Swiftair. There was no
    > true guarantee it was going to get there before July 1st and consequently we were
    > uncertain if it would be processed at the cost of the old fee. Well today (July
    > 3rd) I had A$1175 debited from my account via Visa so either it got there before
    > last Monday or the date of posting was acceptable. Quite a relief really, that's a
    > saving of £250!

Old Jul 4th 2002, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Suketu,

Was this package delivered on Sunday the 30th of June at 2.00 pm? Did I hear u right??
Old Jul 5th 2002, 8:20 am
Suketu Kapadia

Whoops <blush>. It was 28th of June.

Thomas <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Suketu,
    >
    > Was this package delivered on Sunday the 30th of June at 2.00 pm? Did I hear
    > u right??