Wikiposts

inconsistant work history? problem-form80

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:27 am
Just Joined

matthyams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default inconsistant work history? problem-form80

Can anyone throw some light on this subject.
I am about to start application for oz immigration, all pretty straight forward, im 35 married to an australian, the last four years I have been in constant employment with completed tax returns and reffrences etc.

Then I look at the form 80..work history from leaving school.Ahhhh !!!

I completed an apprenticeship in electronics in 92, the company relocated and I left,I traveled for a year then up until 2004 I rarely earned over £30 a week, never filed a tax return or paid NI, I lived on mates couches,camped in the fells,I have never claimed the dole but do you think my lack of earnings over that long period will ruin my chances of a visa?. any thoughts would be of great value,and or leads to specific proffessionals . thanks Matt
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inconsistant work history? problem-form80

Just be honest. If you lie, and they find out ( in say... 10 years ) you will be expelled from the country without notice and banned for YEARS ( 3 minimum ). So , if you lie, you will have to live with that for the rest of your life, always unsecure about the police that MIGHT some day knock on your door and you will lose everything you have.

Don't lie. Be honest.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Honesty is the best policy!

So true!

Originally Posted by scamp1976
Just be honest. If you lie, and they find out ( in say... 10 years ) you will be expelled from the country without notice and banned for YEARS ( 3 minimum ). So , if you lie, you will have to live with that for the rest of your life, always unsecure about the police that MIGHT some day knock on your door and you will lose everything you have.

Don't lie. Be honest.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthyams
Can anyone throw some light on this subject.
I am about to start application for oz immigration, all pretty straight forward, im 35 married to an australian, the last four years I have been in constant employment with completed tax returns and reffrences etc.

Then I look at the form 80..work history from leaving school.Ahhhh !!!

I completed an apprenticeship in electronics in 92, the company relocated and I left,I traveled for a year then up until 2004 I rarely earned over £30 a week, never filed a tax return or paid NI, I lived on mates couches,camped in the fells,I have never claimed the dole but do you think my lack of earnings over that long period will ruin my chances of a visa?. any thoughts would be of great value,and or leads to specific proffessionals . thanks Matt
What visa are you applying for? If you are married to an Australian citizen you can apply for a spouse visa. If you have been married of defacto for 5+ years or if you have children your visa could be a permanent one right away. Spouse visas are much quicker than skilled and with much less in the way of documentation needed.

Take a look at www.immi.gov.au for whether you qualify.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:52 am
Just Joined

I suppose the questions are a) is 'not' earning over a certain ammount,or contributing to national insurance, for a ten year period, considered a reason to refuse someone the option to emmigrate?

b) I am trying for the spouse visa,we have been together since 2006 and married a year, so what is it that the form 80 is really demonstrating to them.? (look im just overthinking things I really dont want to upset my wife but I know it would put lots of strain on us if the visa was denied)

C) is there someone or a body that I can directly approach(or is it a legal right) to find out how what I put on that form will effect my chances. Immigration agents want all or nothing? wish I could be charged per question.

Thank you for your replys.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the questions are a) is 'not' earning over a certain ammount,or contributing to national insurance, for a ten year period, considered a reason to refuse someone the option to emmigrate?

b) I am trying for the spouse visa,we have been together since 2006 and married a year, so what is it that the form 80 is really demonstrating to them.? (look im just overthinking things I really dont want to upset my wife but I know it would put lots of strain on us if the visa was denied)

C) is there someone or a body that I can directly approach(or is it a legal right) to find out how what I put on that form will effect my chances. Immigration agents want all or nothing? wish I could be charged per question.

The form 80 is meant to be a character assessment. The information you put on it will help to determine whether you are of 'good character'. If your work history is inconsistent then so be it. Not all of us have worked 52 weeks every year for our entire adult lives. If you have had periods of unemployment so what? Just be 100% honest in all the answers you put on all of your forms and you shouldn't have a problem. If it's the truth and your case officer has an issue you can explain and your evidence will back it up. Lie on your forms and DIAC will find out.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:14 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse visas are different to the skills based visas in that the main criteria is establishing that you have a genuine ongoing relationship with an Australian. As you are applying for the spouse visa, your main issues are proving you are in a genuine relationship, in good health and of good character. The fact that you have in the past had a rather sporadic work history I don't think should be an issue, you say you have 4 years constant employment now and that should stand you in good stead should questions be asked.

If you are concerned about your work history being an issue, then you could choose not to not send in your Form 80 with your initial application. Unless things have changed in the last year, they do not ask for it to be sent with every case - I wasn't asked for it and it didn't use to be on the checklist of documents to submit.

Try not to worry too much - it is a stressful time while you feel that someone else has the course of your future in their hands and like yourself I think I was inclined to overthink things which is good in some ways, but not in others! Good luck with it all, and remember there are plenty of us here who have jumped through the hoops before and are always happy to help!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much, its amazing how good it feels just to discuss things, at the end of the day it all relates to facts that I cant and wouldnt dream of trying to change anyway, I am really just trying to prepare for the outcome. incdentaly does anyone have any stories of visas rejection/appeal etc. Thanks again folks. (might send that question as general post)