Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Immigration Minister Chris Evans flags lower migrant intake

Immigration Minister Chris Evans flags lower migrant intake

Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Java is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Minister Chris Evans flags lower migrant intake

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013871,00.html
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Salubrious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration Minister Chris Evans flags lower migrant intake

Not good news! Lets hope the Credit Crunch and its fallout does not affect Australia as much as has impacted on the UK
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me glad that we didn't wait any longer before applying. I do wonder how welcome we are all going to be though if we are viewed with a 'bloody poms coming over here, taking our jobs' type of thinking which in fairness is the attitude of many in the UK.

It doesn't mention in the article that there isn't a snowball in hell's chance of there actually being a migration restriction policy implemented in this country due to the already vociferous opposition.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
It doesn't mention in the article that there isn't a snowball in hell's chance of there actually being a migration restriction policy implemented in this country due to the already vociferous opposition.
The Minister could radically cut back immigration numbers, especially skilled, at the stroke of a pen, without even needing to change the Regulations.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough

"(But) no decision has been taken on that." said the Minister.
I just would like that in the next legislation changes on next Monday, they won't begin limiting the immigration process: God forfend us! about an increase of cost! about an increase in the required number of points! about limiting MODL!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Phantom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Australian government is obviously free to do whatever it wants with the immigration policies, but what do people think is the most likely scenario?

For example, I've applied for a 175 MODL in August. Is it possible that the government would make changes such that:

* My application could just be rejected because they have too many applicants
* My application could be rejected because of a change to the MODL (My understanding is that this should not happen as I've already lodged)
* My application will sit in a queue with everyone else and take several years to process
* The impact will only affect applications who have not lodged already via reduced MODL, increased points thresholds etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

anthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant futureanthonyk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Phantom
The Australian government is obviously free to do whatever it wants with the immigration policies, but what do people think is the most likely scenario?

For example, I've applied for a 175 MODL in August. Is it possible that the government would make changes such that:

* My application could just be rejected because they have too many applicants
* My application could be rejected because of a change to the MODL (My understanding is that this should not happen as I've already lodged)
* My application will sit in a queue with everyone else and take several years to process
* The impact will only affect applications who have not lodged already via reduced MODL, increased points thresholds etc.
Let's hope they make relatively small cuts (10 - 20%) and thus expand the waiting times moderately for people who have already applied. Most economic and societal tools available to policy makers to tinker with are usually applied in incremental stages over time in response to an ever changing environment. As such it is a sort of a feedback loop of action, response and counter action. Think interest rates being altered by .25 of a percentage at a time.

However, agent George Lombard commented in another thread that Indian hairdressers were in reality, though not on paper, being turned down due to flooding a specific segment in the market, whereas the overall demand for hairdressers are still unfulfilled. (I never knew that Indian hairdressers were an niche of their own, but there you go). So if we're unlucky they may reject yours or mine application for that sort of reason. Let's hope not.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

How would they go about capping numbers?

Would they either do something like the first so many people this year who apply get given visas, and everybody else doesn't

Or do they tinker around with the points or SOL/MODL lists to be more selective?

I haven't heard 'bloody poms taking our jobs' said here. I suppose because of the European Ancestry people have. The racism I have heard is more of picking on certain racial groups complaining that they 'don't fit in to our way of life'.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
How would they go about capping numbers?

Would they either do something like the first so many people this year who apply get given visas, and everybody else doesn't

Or do they tinker around with the points or SOL/MODL lists to be more selective?
They can do either or both, if they like.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/21managing.htm
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

They were talking earlier this week of knocking back PR requests for those on 457 visas as being the most "palatable" or likely in the near future. Who knows which way their knees will jerk.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
They were talking earlier this week of knocking back PR requests for those on 457 visas as being the most "palatable" or likely in the near future. Who knows which way their knees will jerk.
I hope not. I am on a 457 soon to be applying for a PR visa!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice
Cool Re: Immigration Minister Chris Evans flags lower migrant intake

Good luck to you Notts_bloke then....