Unsure of ANZSCO occupation

Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:26 am
Just Joined

JRC01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unsure of ANZSCO occupation

Hi,

I'm looking to move to Perth next year so I've started looking into the process, researching visa options, etc.

I currently work in the mining industry, working as a corporate finance manager. I provided a supporting and partially manager role in a recent large capital raise reporting to the CFO and am now managing large portions of a few billion dollars raise for our next stage of financing. As part of this, I manage various consultants drafting reports for due diligence purposes, liaise with banks and potential investors including running DD processes with capital providers, handle all of our financial modelling, and generally advise the CEO and CFO on a variety of strategic matters.

My question is whether this fits into a specific ANZSCO occupation. My first thoughts were finance manager - my qualification (BA in Economics and Management at Oxford) plus part-qualifications in the ACA seem to cover off the qualification side of things. However the finance manager role seems to be more 'internal finance' based rather than the corporate finance work that I do, although my understanding is that the employment based skills section is optional just for additional points? Is that right?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts - going to also speak to a MARA agent to get their input. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure of ANZSCO occupation

I think your case is pretty specialized and running it past an agent would be the best option
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

I might also check with the agent if I could fit under 'accountant' so I could apply for the 189 instead. As my qualifications would seem to gain me a positive skills assessment, and I have had former accounting work experience in audit and insolvency work (although a few years ago now).

Last ditch option would be to do a WHV and seek sponsorship while there, but before I went I'd utilise contacts within my company to try to find employment, as most of my colleagues are ex-mining execs in Perth so that might be useful.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

my understanding is that the employment based skills section is optional just for additional points? Is that right?
Only for some accounting-related skilled occupations. Almost all others need some relavant work experience for a positive skills assessment.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
my understanding is that the employment based skills section is optional just for additional points? Is that right?
Only for some accounting-related skilled occupations. Almost all others need some relavant work experience for a positive skills assessment.
Thanks. I think I'd go for 221111 accountant (general). Looking at it, I might actually be ok as the ANZSCO desc of tasks is:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

And even though my role is corporate finance, I have a lot of involvement and interaction with internal finance as part of that, so end up doing a lot of the tasks highlighted in bold on top of the more detailed corp fin work I do.