Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Oz with a criminal conviction

Immigrating to Oz with a criminal conviction

Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

davie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the rough
Default Immigrating to Oz with a criminal conviction

Hello, I am wondering what knowledge anyone here have of people moving to Oz with a criminal conviction. I have a conviction for serious assault. My punishment was a fine and 300hrs community service. Based on the government website I should be ok but I have heard of people being denied entry to the country due to similar criminal charges in the past.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...9character.htm

Does anyone have any advice for me or experience of this issue?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Immigrating to Oz with a criminal conviction

It'll depend on the facts of the case. If you beat the shite out of some poor bastard cos you were pissed, then Brisbane is probably the best place for you. If it was the meth, then probably Sydney, although be aware they call it Ice over here if you are looking to score some. If it was roid rage, then the Gold Coast will make you feel right at home. If it was a domestic, then Perth suburbs would be best, or NT might also be good. Hard to know without more details.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

So you are convicted of serious assault. If you read or heard cases similar to you denied entry.stay where you are let the 20 million people happy.

My goodness I think next in line will be rapist or murder convicts or sexual assault.atleast nowadays the informations are shared cross country even across borders. Thanks to terrorism.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:25 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
It'll depend on the facts of the case. If you beat the shite out of some poor bastard cos you were pissed, then Brisbane is probably the best place for you. If it was the meth, then probably Sydney, although be aware they call it Ice over here if you are looking to score some. If it was roid rage, then the Gold Coast will make you feel right at home. If it was a domestic, then Perth suburbs would be best, or NT might also be good. Hard to know without more details.
Originally Posted by airlineguy1980
So you are convicted of serious assault. If you read or heard cases similar to you denied entry.stay where you are let the 20 million people happy.

My goodness I think next in line will be rapist or murder convicts or sexual assault.atleast nowadays the informations are shared cross country even across borders. Thanks to terrorism.
Yeah, really helpful.

Originally Posted by davie-t
Hello, I am wondering what knowledge anyone here have of people moving to Oz with a criminal conviction. I have a conviction for serious assault. My punishment was a fine and 300hrs community service. Based on the government website I should be ok but I have heard of people being denied entry to the country due to similar criminal charges in the past.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...9character.htm

Does anyone have any advice for me or experience of this issue?
OP, it really depends on how long ago it was, etc. You may have some difficulty if it was a very recent thing. It's not impossible, but it's best to make sure that you get some help in lodging your application. I'd look at having a consultation with a MARA registered agent who has experience of visa applications involving convictions.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Originally Posted by airlineguy1980

Its no wonder some people leave this site with a nasty taste in their mouths after a few posts.

If you can't be helpful, please don't bother replying, especially when you don't know the background to the OPs case and are jumping to some judgemental and possibly harmful conclusions.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

davie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the roughdavie-t is a jewel in the rough

To the first two people who replied - I'm not looking for a lecture on the rights or wrongs of my actions I was looking for people with experience or actual knowledge of this subject.

For your information I have never been in trouble with the police prior to this. It was basically a moment of madness when on a long drinking session. It was a single strike, I did not attack the guy when he was down or anything like that. I'm a professional civil engineer and have been for 3yrs. My employers know that's it's not in my nature to be aggressive. This happened early last year and I've learned to control my drinking a lot since. This could have totally ruined my career but I've been lucky.

I was actually convicted in February this year so it's very recent but I wouldn't probably be moving till feb next year. Hopefully I can get some good advice here or from an agent. I just don't have much cash to spend getting professional advice from an agent to them be told I can't get a visa.

Thanks

David
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

To the first two people who replied - I'm not looking for a lecture on the rights or wrongs of my actions I was looking for people with experience or actual knowledge of this subject.

For your information I have never been in trouble with the police prior to this. It was basically a moment of madness when on a long drinking session. It was a single strike, I did not attack the guy when he was down or anything like that. I'm a professional civil engineer and have been for 3yrs. My employers know that's it's not in my nature to be aggressive. This happened early last year and I've learned to control my drinking a lot since. This could have totally ruined my career but I've been lucky.

I was actually convicted in February this year so it's very recent but I wouldn't probably be moving till feb next year. Hopefully I can get some good advice here or from an agent. I just don't have much cash to spend getting professional advice from an agent to them be told I can't get a visa.

Thanks

David
What kind of visa are you looking to apply for? It's pretty unlikely that you'll be moving here in February 2013 if you haven't even applied yet.

As for your conviction, you'll likely need to explain to DIAC. Can you get some character references from people? It's probably not a no-go, but with your conviction being so recent (7 months ago) you may be facing a bit of an uphill battle.

Good luck
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Does it take a long time to get a visa processed?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Does it take a long time to get a visa processed?
That depends on a bunch of different factors. What visa are you applying for?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

I'd try to get sponsored by a company (457). But if that doesn't happen I'd try the state/territory sponsored visa. Then if I don't get that I'll try the holiday visa I think. I'm not 100% sure what one I should go for at the moment. I need to look into it more.

Thanks for the good luck gesture! I may need it.

I'll be able to get a few good character references to assist me. From previous employers/university lectures/family friends in respected professional positions.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try to get sponsored by a company (457). But if that doesn't happen I'd try the state/territory sponsored visa. Then if I don't get that I'll try the holiday visa I think. I'm not 100% sure what one I should go for at the moment. I need to look into it more.

Thanks for the good luck gesture! I may need it.

I'll be able to get a few good character references to assist me. From previous employers/university lectures/family friends in respected professional positions.
457 visas are generally processed quite quickly, most I've heard lately is 4 weeks but more often 2 weeks. State sponsored is much, much longer, depending on which state. The search function on this forum is very good, perhaps try Victoria State Sponsored and you'll see other people who have gone through similar.

References are very valuable, when gathering make sure they are on company letterhead and if possible include job title, department etc - more information the better. Even if you decide to go for a WHV these are beneficial.

Some MARA agents will do the first consultation free of charge and this should get you the basics as to whether they think you will be successful or not.

Immigration isn't a cheap exercise, we're applying for a 457 for a prospective staff member at the moment, we're using an agent and we're looking at about $4k all up but that includes us becoming a business sponsor as we're first timers. If we were going for a RSMS the visa application fee itself is more than that.

Good luck (and ignore the numpteys, there's more good advice on here than bad)
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Ronnie9898 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

David
You will have to write a letter with your application explaining what happened, i have a freind with a similar thing but was 3yrs ago and he's here now.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jothefw
457 visas are generally processed quite quickly, most I've heard lately is 4 weeks but more often 2 weeks. State sponsored is much, much longer, depending on which state. The search function on this forum is very good, perhaps try Victoria State Sponsored and you'll see other people who have gone through similar.

References are very valuable, when gathering make sure they are on company letterhead and if possible include job title, department etc - more information the better. Even if you decide to go for a WHV these are beneficial.

Some MARA agents will do the first consultation free of charge and this should get you the basics as to whether they think you will be successful or not.

Immigration isn't a cheap exercise, we're applying for a 457 for a prospective staff member at the moment, we're using an agent and we're looking at about $4k all up but that includes us becoming a business sponsor as we're first timers. If we were going for a RSMS the visa application fee itself is more than that.

Good luck (and ignore the numpteys, there's more good advice on here than bad)
Really?

Try QuickVisas, brilliant company to use. The last 457 Visa we got was $1600 and that included personal cost and company sponsorship part and, QuickVisas fee...
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try to get sponsored by a company (457). But if that doesn't happen I'd try the state/territory sponsored visa. Then if I don't get that I'll try the holiday visa I think.
I don't understand the "Holiday Visa" bit?

You will try move to Australia on a Holiday Visa?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP means the Working Holiday Visa x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.