Wikiposts

I'm in the US she's in Thailand

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:26 pm
Robert Nicholso

Default I'm in the US she's in Thailand

For the moment my wife is in Thailand and I'm in the US. Given the job market here
and all I may very well be in Australia shortly. Now I'd like to know how I can kick
off the spousal visa process? I will pass by Bangkok on my way to Australia or if I
want to stay in the US for a bit I will still want to start the process. Do I have to
initiate this in Bangkok? My concern is that although I'm in the US long term (best
case scenario) I will return to Australia and I would like my wife to be able to
enter at that time and not start the process then. So I'd like to make use of the
time we are apart with me in the US and her in Thailand. Worst case scenario
(depending on how you look at it) I will return to Australia shortly. Should I do
this I plan to visit the consulate in Bangkok. Is there any way to avoid direct
contact with the consulate in Bangkok?

I have enough proof and I've been married to my wife since November last year.

Old Mar 29th 2002, 8:05 pm
Alex Gitlits

Default Re: I'm in the US she's in Thailand

Hi Robert,

There are two ways to go about this.

1. Your wife has to apply from her place of residence. If she lives in Thailand then
she has to apply from Thailand. On the other hand if she lived in US with you, she
could have applied from within US. Now, since she is in Thailand at the moment,
she can apply from BKK straight away. I'm afraid there is no way around apart from
one option (see 2). She doesn't need to waste her time waiting for you to come to
Thailand to kick off the process. All she needs from you is sponsorship form 40SP
to be filled out by you. She has to fill out some other form (47SP), pay off-shore
application fee and submit as much evidence of the continueing and on-going
relationship as possible. That will start the process, in fact supporting evidence
of the relationship can be submitted later on. Forms 40SP, 47SP and the fee will
kick off the process. She doesn't need to have you in Thailand to apply. If you
want her to get visa in the shortest time possible, get her to apply straight
away. Then you can visit her for holidays, or to attend an interview (if
requested, though not compulsory for you to attend).

2. The second option involves more risk and I would only go for it if you are sure
your wife can get a visitor's visa without 8503 "No further stay" condition. This
is very unlikely since she has to declare in her tourist visa application that she
is a wife of an Australian citizen. If she gets a visa without the above
condition, then she can apply on-shore.

I would go for option 1, it's a slower but surer way to succeed, and less queue
jumping. And since you have plenty of time to be separated anyway, the time is not so
much an issue.

Good luck,

Alex   Â

Robert Nicholson wrote:

> For the moment my wife is in Thailand and I'm in the US. Given the job market here
    > and all I may very well be in Australia shortly. Now I'd like to know how I can
    > kick off the spousal visa process? I will pass by Bangkok on my way to Australia or
    > if I want to stay in the US for a bit I will still want to start the process. Do I
    > have to initiate this in Bangkok? My concern is that although I'm in the US long
    > term (best case scenario) I will return to Australia and I would like my wife to be
    > able to enter at that time and not start the process then. So I'd like to make use
    > of the time we are apart with me in the US and her in Thailand. Worst case scenario
    > (depending on how you look at it) I will return to Australia shortly. Should I do
    > this I plan to visit the consulate in Bangkok. Is there any way to avoid direct
    > contact with the consulate in Bangkok?
    >
    > I have enough proof and I've been married to my wife since November last year.