British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Iluka / Hillarys - Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/iluka-hillarys-perth-103804/)

karlos Oct 19th 2002 5:23 pm

Iluka / Hillarys - Perth

Does anyone know anything about Iluka or Hillarys? My wife and I are looking to move to Perth. (App should go off next week - then the "big wait"!!).

I've been looking at properties (dreaming...) on the various real estate websites. Iluka and Hillarys look like great suburbs.

I would appreciate anyone's opinions on these areas. Or any other recommendations.

Cheers
Karl.

micky Oct 19th 2002 11:44 pm

Re: Iluka / Hillarys - Perth

Originally posted by karlos:
Does anyone know anything about Iluka or Hillarys? My wife and I are looking to move to Perth. (App should go off next week - then the "big wait"!!).

I've been looking at properties (dreaming...) on the various real estate websites. Iluka and Hillarys look like great suburbs.

I would appreciate anyone's opinions on these areas. Or any other recommendations.

Cheers
Karl.

My hubby,Michael, went last August to his cousins in Iluka. He absolutely loved it. But....it is one of the most expensive areas in Perth.
Hillarys Boat Harbour was just awesome. He took the camcorder and it looks absolutely wonderful.
Again...Hillarys is VERY expensive compared to ther suburbs.

Try Kinross, Currambine, Joondalup, Connolly, Ocean Reef,
and surrounding areas.

Shona x

cazz Oct 20th 2002 3:34 pm

Cheers
Karl.

Hi Karl,

went to Perth christmas 2000, stayed at North Beach (just down from Hillarys) with relatives, beautiful area couldn't afford a sea view though!! Don't miss out on Rottness Island truly a dream island and high point of the holiday preferred Perth to Sydney locals so friendly.

Going to look at Brisbane this Christmas (more Relies there)
hoping to have visa,s by then but bit of a gamble.

Cazz

karlos Oct 20th 2002 8:13 pm

Originally posted by cazz:

Hi Karl,

went to Perth christmas 2000, stayed at North Beach (just down from Hillarys) with relatives, beautiful area couldn't afford a sea view though!! Don't miss out on Rottness Island truly a dream island and high point of the holiday preferred Perth to Sydney locals so friendly.

Going to look at Brisbane this Christmas (more Relies there)
hoping to have visa,s by then but bit of a gamble.

Cazz

Shona / Cazz,

Thanks for the info. We visited both Sydney and Perth earlier this year. Perth is definitely the place for us. Sydney was nice, but too much like London for us. After living in London for the past 7 years we both want a slower pace of life. I work in the Oil and Gas industry, so Perth is the natural choice for us. We are going to try and get another trip down there early next year.

I have to agree that the locals were very friendly. It was so nice after the ignorance of the London population (in general).

Where are you heading to?

JustArrived Oct 21st 2002 2:50 am

Hi,

From my few weeks experience here, they are both very good places to live. All the places close to the ocean seem to be good places. Suggest that you rent for 6 months first and then take your time to decide where to live.

Cheers
Karl.

pommie bastard Oct 21st 2002 4:23 am

Cheers
Karl.

You will have to rent to start with anyway so find a job and then look where you need to be , both those areas are mid range anywhere around the river is prime real estate.
Beach areas are very pricy from Trig down towards the city , areas above that are well affordable for most coming from UK.
A beach shack in City Beach went for $1.5 million last week the only value was the land 700 sq.
:D :beer:

Aussiemove Oct 21st 2002 5:29 am

Hi Karl,
Hillarys has an "old" part (first established in the 70's), with some
very attractive parks, a few schools, shops etc. and pretty good
housing although some of it's looking dated now. There's also a very
new part (Harbour Rise estate), near Hillarys Boat Harbour. The houses
are HUGE as you probably have seen on the R/E sites, but there's less
parkland and trees because the area was cleared to sand and only just
built on.

Iluka, too, has plenty of great houses, but is also a very new area -
no schools yet. Nearest schools are in Ocean Reef and shops at
Currambine or Joondalup.

Most other suburbs along the coast, eg Ocean Reef, Kallaroo, have been
established some time, so have more facilities within the suburb, but
also have new areas where you can find your modern (usually massive)
homes. I have details on most of the northern suburbs on my site.

regards
Geoff
www.aussiemove.com