IELTS TESTS

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

KurlyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS TESTS

that may well be the case - but I certainly need 20 points, so a pass at 8.

Im sure many more people will do too. If you are one of the lucky ones not needing to take the test due to an abundance of points then
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stratts
That just tells me there is something wrong with the whole system. I was born, raised and educated here, if I can't be assessed as having proficient English then surely the test isn't doing what it is designed to do.
Well, If you are English, it is easy for you to score high in IELTS. All you need to do is to learn the question types and how they ask those questions?
Questions in all the sections are easy and in simple english but they are just tricky. Once you gain the understanding of the way they take the exam you are good.

For me listening and Reading was the hardest part. I am a non english speaker and had lived in States for 3.5 yrs before taking IELTS. I attempted IELTS after couple of hours study of the exam pattern.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

From what I understand from reading the guidelines on the immi site, you have to have 65 points in total to pass the new points test. It doesn't say that you have to take the IELTS. The IELTS part applies to people who need to take it for their occupation. Some people might not need the IELTS test to make the required 65 points but others will, it really depends on individual circumstances. For example some people might have a lot of work experience and if they are in the right age bracket they'll get more points.

The reason I questioned KurlyK is because I thought she was saying that you have to have a score of 8 if you are applying for the 176 visa. As mentioned earlier some people won't need the score of 8 on the IELTS because they have enough work experience and other points to make up the 65.

In regards to the IELTS test, I took it a few weeks back and recommend revising for it. It's not that it's hard but it's really the time factor and the way in which you are expected to answer the questions. For example, the reading test has 40 questions and there is a thick booklet that you have to read and even if you are a quick reader and great with comprehension, you still have to really think about the answers to the questions, and for some questions they require a particular word limit. As I say it's not hard but just tricky in parts.

Last edited by beachlady; Mar 23rd 2011 at 8:25 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all
Default how hard is ielts

hi me again just wondering how hard this test is, im a bricklayer so don't do much writing, this is the most i have done for years, is the test done on computer? or handwriting. do you lose points for spelling? (god i hope not) thanks for your time.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:42 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how hard is ielts

The test is all hand-written and you do lose points for poor spelling and grammar. It is by no means easy. I would recommend that you buy an IELTS practice book and have a practice at a few tests.

You can also find samples online for free.

Definitely have a look at ielts.org and google for 'ielts samples'

There have been a few born and bred' English speakers not get the required grades in the last few years since it's introduction.

I did the Academic test (which is slightly different) and got 9.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.0 but I had practised and also just finished a degree so my writing skills were pretty fresh.

My experience is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=ielts

Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
The test is all hand-written and you do lose points for poor spelling and grammar. It is by no means easy. I would recommend that you buy an IELTS practice book and have a practice at a few tests.

You can also find samples online for free.

Definitely have a look at ielts.org and google for 'ielts samples'

There have been a few born and bred' English speakers not get the required grades in the last few years since it's introduction.

I did the Academic test (which is slightly different) and got 9.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.0 but I had practised and also just finished a degree so my writing skills were pretty fresh.

My experience is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=ielts

Good luck.
I have to question just how relevant writing skills are anymore. I spend my entire day on a keyboard and haven't actually written anything by hand in literally years. Even my 17yr old, in full time education, doesn't write anymore, all done on the laptops.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benedict1843
hi me again just wondering how hard this test is, im a bricklayer so don't do much writing, this is the most i have done for years, is the test done on computer? or handwriting. do you lose points for spelling? (god i hope not) thanks for your time.
I reckon there is probably a not insignificant number of native English speakers who would fail to achieve a 7 score.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msabiransari
Well, If you are English, it is easy for you to score high in IELTS.
As has been mentioned many many times, no, it's not easy get a high score regardless of where you're from or where you've been educated.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As has been mentioned many many times, no, it's not easy get a high score regardless of where you're from or where you've been educated.
Please do not quote me partially.

Aa a native english speaker one certainly knows the language and the level of english in IELTS is just beginner. What makes it difficult is the way they ask questions. Its just tricky.
If an english speaker wants to score good in IELTS then s/he dont have to learn basics of the english but the tricks and techniques and need to do some practice to take the exam in short amount of time.

You can see so many people from non-english speaking countries get 7/8 score in IELTS does that mean they are as good as native english speakers? No, they just learn the techniques.

I apologies If I was not clear in my previous post.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msabiransari
Please do not quote me partially.

Aa a native english speaker one certainly knows the language and the level of english in IELTS is just beginner. What makes it difficult is the way they ask questions. Its just tricky.
If an english speaker wants to score good in IELTS then s/he dont have to learn basics of the english but the tricks and techniques and need to do some practice to take the exam in short amount of time.

You can see so many people from non-english speaking countries get 7/8 score in IELTS does that mean they are as good as native english speakers? No, they just learn the techniques.

I apologies If I was not clear in my previous post.
I quoted one part of your post because that was the only part I wanted to comment on. I stand by the point that it's not easy for native speakers. They have generally spent 20/30/40 years speaking and writing colloquially. You could even say it's easier for English as a second language people to find the tests easier because they learn the language correctly without the slang.

Anyway regardless of what you or I believe, no one should be led to believe it's easy. It's not.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

andy2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS Validity

Hi All,

I just want to know how long is the IELTS results valid for?

Thanks

Andy
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS Validity

Depends on what you need it for. For my registration and skills assessment it had to be no older than 12 month, for DIAC it's 2 years (I think), don't know if there are other institutions that have other regulations.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

I think there is the option of doing the test on a computer, at least I think I've seen that there is this option for certain testing centres. Where I did my test nobody used a computer.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benedict1843
hi me again just wondering how hard this test is.
About $11,000 worth of hard according to the news.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

funonrun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS Validity

IELTS results are valid for two years from the date of passing the test.

Hope that answers your query !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.