Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS test for QLD nursing council question?

Wikiposts

IELTS test for QLD nursing council question?

Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default IELTS test for QLD nursing council question?

HI

We managed to get our application in to the ANMC before the July 1st deadline but now need an IELTS result to gain QLD registration. Does anyone know if QLD require the general or academic test result?

Many thanks

JOHN
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

suzukipaul will become famous soon enoughsuzukipaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IELTS test for QLD nursing council question?

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
HI

We managed to get our application in to the ANMC before the July 1st deadline but now need an IELTS result to gain QLD registration. Does anyone know if QLD require the general or academic test result?

Many thanks

JOHN
Hi,

I have just sent off my booking to do IELTS in October, for QNC you need to do the academic. No pressure!!!!

Cathy
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Wishaw2Brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

Many thanks

JOHN
Hi. We sent our application to AMNC just around the deadline date. We received a letter today telling us that the application is now being processed. They took the fee (2008/2009 rate) on 30.6.09 and their letter was dated 6.7.09. There has been no mention of having to take the IELTS? Have you been asked to take it by the ANMC?

Regards
Paul
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:27 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Wishaw to Brisbane
The ANMC won't need IELTS from UK applicants who applied prior to July 1st. But in order to practise as a nurse in Australia you must register with the nursing board of that particular state and as from July 1st they will not accept any overseas applicants (except from NZ) who have not attained band 7 in the academic level IELTS.
Hope that helps explain things for you

Last edited by Lyx; Jul 13th 2009 at 6:30 am.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder what the thinking is behind all this?

We did not want to sit the test. Its meant to be hard and the Nursing pass mark is set very high at 7 in all sections in one sitting.I think that we have decided that my wife will have 3 attempts at it. If she has not passed by then then we will call it a day.

JOHN
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:39 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

John,
Tell her not to worry, I sat it on Saturday. I still don't know if I've passed but the test was not any tougher than I thought it would be. I was recommended a book by Peter May. IELTS practise tests, well I think thats what its called. It comes with 2 CD's and I got it off Amazon for about £18. Anyway it really prepared me for the real thing and the examples are so similar to the real test.
I suppose Australia are just fed up of the UK sending them nurses who can't speak fluent English. All you have to do is phone the NMC for an example, there are so many people there who answer the phone with very poor English skills.
Doesn't help us I know. Tell her to try the test material and remember that you have to book test 6 weeks in advance.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lyx
John,
Tell her not to worry, I sat it on Saturday. I still don't know if I've passed but the test was not any tougher than I thought it would be. I was recommended a book by Peter May. IELTS practise tests, well I think thats what its called. It comes with 2 CD's and I got it off Amazon for about £18. Anyway it really prepared me for the real thing and the examples are so similar to the real test.
I suppose Australia are just fed up of the UK sending them nurses who can't speak fluent English. All you have to do is phone the NMC for an example, there are so many people there who answer the phone with very poor English skills.
Doesn't help us I know. Tell her to try the test material and remember that you have to book test 6 weeks in advance.

thanks for this info.....

i will be sitting it in Oct and didnt know i needed to book it 6 weeks in advance. i have not sat any IELTS as OH has applied for the visa in his name....
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

lyndseynpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what the thinking is behind all this?

We did not want to sit the test. Its meant to be hard and the Nursing pass mark is set very high at 7 in all sections in one sitting.I think that we have decided that my wife will have 3 attempts at it. If she has not passed by then then we will call it a day.

JOHN
I know the feeling I got my application into ANMC before 1st July to try and avoid it to, but with the individual nursing boards in Oz needing it there is just no where to hide. I sat the academic test on Saturday, i did some preperation but only with the samples you can do on the IELTS website, they did help though particularly with the lay out of the questions. For me the reading section was the hardest. Good luck to your wife.
I think Australia keep making the goal posts wider so they only get creme de la creme.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Wishaw2Brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyx
Wishaw to Brisbane
The ANMC won't need IELTS from UK applicants who applied prior to July 1st. But in order to practise as a nurse in Australia you must register with the nursing board of that particular state and as from July 1st they will not accept any overseas applicants (except from NZ) who have not attained band 7 in the academic level IELTS.
Hope that helps explain things for you
Hi. Thanks for the info. I was unaware of this. So me posting the application late and getting pelters from the OH is irrelevant now! Phew! Still have to sit the test but not my fault now!

We have just looked at the IELTS website....Wish we hadn't bothered!