Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS Test just taken, info if you want it...

Wikiposts

IELTS Test just taken, info if you want it...

Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default IELTS Test just taken, info if you want it...

HI

I took the academic test today, I thought it would be a walk in the park and although I found it ok it was harder that I thought it would be.

I have been sitting exams throught my working life so I am used to it and you do get good at it. I can see how some people will struggle certainly if they have not done any exams/study since the age of 16.

I thought the standard was high for the acedemic (can't comment on the general but it did look easier).

If your not used to exams/studying then I would get the practice material before sitting the test.

Good Luck

Cx
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: IELTS Test just taken, info if you want it...

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
HI

I took the academic test today, I thought it would be a walk in the park and although I found it ok it was harder that I thought it would be.

I have been sitting exams throught my working life so I am used to it and you do get good at it. I can see how some people will struggle certainly if they have not done any exams/study since the age of 16.

I thought the standard was high for the acedemic (can't comment on the general but it did look easier).

If your not used to exams/studying then I would get the practice material before sitting the test.

Good Luck

Cx
Another part done in the ongoing visa application paper trail.

Hope your score is off the radar.

Trish
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Claire

You will have done fine and passed with flying colours - let us know when you get the results, fingers crossed for you.

Jason, Tracy & Kids

HI

Good Luck

Cx
Old Oct 20th 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

chasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant future

Did mine today too, but I did the General test. (I needed the extra points) Got back from Edinburgh about 5pm and OMG it's been a long day! Left this morning at about 6.40am. Did the listening part 1st, which was the part I was dreading! And, to be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! The reading part was next, and this was the one I felt pretty confident beforehand. WAS I WRONG! First couple of sections were fine, but the last one OMG! I could not get my head round it! Had to read all these paragraphs about navigation BORING! My stomach was rumbling cause I hadn't eated since 6am, had a sore head, had a blocked nose, and my eyes kept going together because I'd only had 5 hours sleep! I couldn't concentrate! Was running out of time at the end of it, so last couple of answers were a bit of a guess! The writing was the easiest I thought, and the speaking wasn't too bad. Some of the questions were a bit lame though!

Would be good to hear how anyone else got on today! Please tell me I'm not the only one dreading their results now!!

Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

Good Luck

Cx
Hi Cx,

may I ask why you had to sit for the academic version of the test? Isn't the general module enough for getting the extra points?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

sailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by makido
Hi Cx,

may I ask why you had to sit for the academic version of the test? Isn't the general module enough for getting the extra points?
You only need to take the General test in order to get the additional score.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by makido
Hi Cx,

yes, it is... but people used to certain type of exams might feel more confident with the academic module. i had the option to do either or, but i too chose to sit for the academic module since after four years at university, i felt more at ease tackling the academic reading and writing sections.

as for the OP, though you have been sitting for exams throughout your working life, it also depends on gripping the bull by the horns. reason being that, with IELTS, you not only need to know how to master English, but also how to avoid the exam's pitfalls. i wish you the best of luck with your results.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

To be honest I thought I had booked the general so it was actually a mistake. Saying that it didn't really bother me either way.

Thanks for the positive vibes, am sure I will do fine, just glad its out the way.

Agree with the comments about exam pitfalls, exam technique is pretty important and good advice for anyone not use to exam situations.

A brush up on grammer is also useful, if you don't write reports or do essays in your work etc.

Good luck to everyone who has sat it or is about too.

Cx
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Suuz will become famous soon enoughSuuz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chasingthedream
Did mine today too, but I did the General test. (I needed the extra points) Got back from Edinburgh about 5pm and OMG it's been a long day! Left this morning at about 6.40am. Did the listening part 1st, which was the part I was dreading! And, to be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! The reading part was next, and this was the one I felt pretty confident beforehand. WAS I WRONG! First couple of sections were fine, but the last one OMG! I could not get my head round it! Had to read all these paragraphs about navigation BORING! My stomach was rumbling cause I hadn't eated since 6am, had a sore head, had a blocked nose, and my eyes kept going together because I'd only had 5 hours sleep! I couldn't concentrate! Was running out of time at the end of it, so last couple of answers were a bit of a guess! The writing was the easiest I thought, and the speaking wasn't too bad. Some of the questions were a bit lame though!

Would be good to hear how anyone else got on today! Please tell me I'm not the only one dreading their results now!!

Hi mags

I took test on Saturday and like you, am a bit concerned about the reading section. All those paragraphs and after reading it about a hundred times any of the headings could have fitted all of them. do you think we will have the result by the 3rd november as I think they are issued 13 days after the test?

Sz
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:07 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Good luck to everyone waiting for IELTS results.............

My hubby will be taking the general exam in December. Can anyone recommend a book or website he could use for practise?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mary1967
Hi,

Good luck to everyone waiting for IELTS results.............

My hubby will be taking the general exam in December. Can anyone recommend a book or website he could use for practise?
Hi the IELTS has a website that you can order materials from, you could also try ebay as I guess lots of people will be selling the practice tests once they have sat the exam.

Cx
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:47 am

Good idea, i'll check it out.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:57 am

HE PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally got the certificate today, now for the visa!!!!