Wikiposts

IELTS test - different to the 25 points?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

lensgirl is on a distinguished road
Default IELTS test - different to the 25 points?

Hi

when you check to see how many points you can get, on the English Language for proficiency you get 25 points. For taking the ILETS test, ive seen people saying for an extra 5 points so is that extra on top of the 25 or do i have it completely wrong?

many thanks
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:50 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS test - different to the 25 points?

Originally Posted by lensgirl
Hi

when you check to see how many points you can get, on the English Language for proficiency you get 25 points. For taking the ILETS test, ive seen people saying for an extra 5 points so is that extra on top of the 25 or do i have it completely wrong?

many thanks
you get 15 for all 6's or more in each part of the test OR for having a passport of a native English speaking country (UK, IE, US, ...) without having to do the IELTS

or you get 25 for scoring 7's or more in all parts of the test regardless of the country of your passport.

NJ
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lensgirl
Hi

many thanks
If you have 115 points then one way to get to 120 is to take the ILETS and pass. This will give you the extra 5 points you need (though in reality it's an extra 10 points)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:53 am
Just Joined

gbcasual is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that you get 15 points for being British, or holding a British passport, and if you need more points to get past 120 in total, then taking IELTS gets you another 10 points if you pass with sufficient marks.

Think I will be going down the IELTS route myself at some stage.

Cheers

Jon
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

lensgirl is on a distinguished road

so you get the full 25 points for taking the test?

I might not have to take it as we are probably going to attempt the provisional state sponsorship route, and i have the required 90 points to get that, and if that is ok, i will take the test to gain the extra 10 for the 100 that we need for the Visa application
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:08 am
Just Joined

gbcasual is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you get 25 points for taking and passing the test with high enough scores on each section. Something not to be taken lightly it appears, as plenty do not get high enough marks, even being native English.

Good luck!