British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   IELTS Test (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/ielts-test-533042/)

MikeSplicer Apr 29th 2008 10:30 am

IELTS Test

Hi

I have heard that this is a breeze for native english speakers. But can anybody bshed some light as to the format and type of questions.

Ta

benlast Apr 29th 2008 11:55 am

Re: IELTS Test

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 6282110)
Hi
I have heard that this is a breeze for native english speakers. But can anybody bshed some light as to the format and type of questions.
Ta

It's not a breeze, no.

The search option is your best bet: there are many threads discussing the test. For example:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507211

Or Google - there are lots of sites that explain the test and have sample questions and exercises; some are free to download.

Cheers
Ben

Swins Apr 29th 2008 12:33 pm

Did my test a few weeks ago and although I got very good marks I would say it wasn't an easy test. I'm not showing off, but I have a degree in Engineering, an MBA and spend my life writing reports in a University, whilst I did not struggle I did wonder how a non-native English speaker had a chance of getting a good mark.

The listening is ok, but you have to be quick on some parts as they only play it once.
Reading is ok, didn't find this hard, they are justing tyring to catch you out with word play.
Writing, wrote way more than they asked for. Its the only really subjective section, everyone will answer differently, have a different writing style and argue points in a different way.
Speaking, strange for native speakers, but again they ask you to comment on very specfic topics (mine was around family values and how the government can improve these)

As the other post says, there are lots of examples out there on the internet and links in other posts on here. I would suggest trying to do a practice test and see how you feel about it. At my test more than half (I think 7 of us) were native speakers after 10 extra points.

glennmatchett Apr 30th 2008 8:40 am

definitely not a breeze, I should be getting my results soon did my test in Lea green london

snoo Apr 30th 2008 10:52 am

Hi,
My other half sat this test a few weeks ago. He too has an MBA so no 'thicky' really. He said it was easy although you need to have a good memory for parts of it, so NO DRINKING and an EARLY NIGHT the night before!! Try a Barocca (my 'wonder drug'....although it is purely herbal!! Absolutely wonderful for perking you up!!)
You must have a look through the test papers and just prepare yourself! You shouldn't have any trouble.........although Paul did say there was a guy from Liverpool who was re-sitting!!
Good Luck!
Lisa,x

De Mange Apr 30th 2008 11:08 am

Originally Posted by snoo (Post 6287367)
Hi,
My other half sat this test a few weeks ago. He too has an MBA so no 'thicky' really. He said it was easy although you need to have a good memory for parts of it, so NO DRINKING and an EARLY NIGHT the night before!! Try a Barocca (my 'wonder drug'....although it is purely herbal!! Absolutely wonderful for perking you up!!)
You must have a look through the test papers and just prepare yourself! You shouldn't have any trouble.........although Paul did say there was a guy from Liverpool who was re-sitting!!
Good Luck!
Lisa,x

Yes the memory is required on the listening bit - you are trying to find an answer then the conversation has moved on. You really do need to concentrate.

The rest is easy really - as long as you can read, write and comprehend English then you should have no problems. I felt some mcq's were a bit ambiguous with no definitive answer but I soon discovered I was reading a bit much into it. Just remember they are not trying to catch you out!