IELTS test and 2 yr restricition

Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS test and 2 yr restricition

I have been looking into this one as we need an extra 15 points to get our 175 visa.... We were told we wont be allowed to use points gained from IELTS now as we are at the final stage of application and they wont accept resutls from IELTS as it has to be sat 2 years before applying for the visa.

Is this correct??? I am a bit worried now that we are not getting the best advice from our migration agent...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS test and 2 yr restricition

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
I have been looking into this one as we need an extra 15 points to get our 175 visa.... We were told we wont be allowed to use points gained from IELTS now as we are at the final stage of application and they wont accept resutls from IELTS as it has to be sat 2 years before applying for the visa.

Is this correct??? I am a bit worried now that we are not getting the best advice from our migration agent...
Seems a bit strange to me Think there's 10 points on offer for passing the IELTS and that you can even lodge the application before sititng the test as long as you have one booked in. I'm not knowledgeable enough though... hopefully someone else will post who really knows the score!
Good luck
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

ZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasb
Seems a bit strange to me Think there's 10 points on offer for passing the IELTS and that you can even lodge the application before sititng the test as long as you have one booked in. I'm not knowledgeable enough though... hopefully someone else will post who really knows the score!
Good luck
You must demonstrate that you meet the English language threshold. This means that you must already have your English language test results before you lodge your application.

In most cases, the English language threshold is at the competent English level and this will give you 15 points.

You also meet the English language threshold and will receive 15 points if you meet one of the following:

you have vocational English and your nominated occupation is a trade occupation
you hold an eligible passport from either:
United Kingdom (UK)
Canada
New Zealand
United States of America (USA)
Republic of Ireland.
If you wish to claim 25 points you will need to meet the required English language test results for proficient English.

If you get 6's in all then 15 points and if 7's in all then 25 points for IELTS

See :

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...t-you-need.htm

See :

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

It doesn't have to be sat 2 years before the visa. I think what they mean is that it can't be more than 2 years old before you apply for the visa.

I'm sure someone will advise if I'm wrong about this!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

ZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really niceZeeAsh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flan
It doesn't have to be sat 2 years before the visa. I think what they mean is that it can't be more than 2 years old before you apply for the visa.

I'm sure someone will advise if I'm wrong about this!
Yes, you are correct ...it can't be more than 2 years old before you apply for the visa. Because I guess IELTS expires after 2 years.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

I know its hilarious! I have a GCSE and A Level in English. A degree and a PGCE, I'm a teacher; I was born and live in England and yet they still make you sit the IELTS exam to prove that you are proficient - then the really crazy part is that it runs out after 2 years!!!! I've never heard of a 'native' speaker forgetting how to read and write after 2 years!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flan
I know its hilarious! I have a GCSE and A Level in English. A degree and a PGCE, I'm a teacher; I was born and live in England and yet they still make you sit the IELTS exam to prove that you are proficient - then the really crazy part is that it runs out after 2 years!!!! I've never heard of a 'native' speaker forgetting how to read and write after 2 years!!!!
The fact that you are a "native speaker" does not in itself mean that you are capable of reading or writing anything. Functional illiteracy is widespread. Hence the requirement for IELTS.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

I'm quite curious as to why there is a 2 year expiry date for the IELTS results?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looky
I'm quite curious as to why there is a 2 year expiry date for the IELTS results?
Possibly because if you are living and/or working in a non English speaking country your opportunities to use the language may be limited. Not a problem for Brits maybe, but for Indians, Pakistanis, Japanese etc.
I know that when I left school I could talk in passable French and German, but by the time 5 years had passed my skills has deteriorated significantly.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Possibly because if you are living and/or working in a non English speaking country your opportunities to use the language may be limited. Not a problem for Brits maybe, but for Indians, Pakistanis, Japanese etc.
I know that when I left school I could talk in passable French and German, but by the time 5 years had passed my skills has deteriorated significantly.
Good point there but quite alot of them take the IELTS in their home country so it wouldn't make any difference in 2 years time. If immigration is not going to make IELTS results valid forever they should make it valid for at least 4 or 5 years. Its not cheap and quite time consuming with the booking of dates through to taking the test
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looky
Good point there but quite alot of them take the IELTS in their home country so it wouldn't make any difference in 2 years time. If immigration is not going to make IELTS results valid forever they should make it valid for at least 4 or 5 years. Its not cheap and quite time consuming with the booking of dates through to taking the test
Even if they take it in their home country though, if they have no opportunity to use English in their home country their skills will decline through lack of use.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the policy, just trying to explain probable reasons for it.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it for a native speaker with a reasonable education and reasonably good intelligence to pass well enough to get 25 points? OH may well have to do it soon.

Also can you add the extra 10 points to your application if you initially went with the 15 for UK passport only? If so is that true for all visa types?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
The fact that you are a "native speaker" does not in itself mean that you are capable of reading or writing anything. Functional illiteracy is widespread. Hence the requirement for IELTS.
I wasn't referring to having to do the IELTS - this I can understand, as you state there is a problem of illiteracy in every country. I was simply stating the fact that for a native speaker with many other qualifications in English AND a successful IELTS score it shouldn't expire after 2 years.

Last edited by Flan; Aug 13th 2008 at 6:39 am. Reason: To make sense!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Safin
How easy is it for a native speaker with a reasonable education and reasonably good intelligence to pass well enough to get 25 points? OH may well have to do it soon.
I satisfied immigration's 25 extra points criteria on my 1st sitting of IELTS. All the sections are pretty straight forward except the reading section which is a little tricky.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

I agree - I passed on my first sitting. The subject content that you have to write about can be slightly random - my writing paper was on the benefits of new build houses vs restoring old properties! Then the reading paper was about endangered species and conservation! The tasks themselves are relatively straight forward though. (I did the academic version - I'm not sure how different this is to the general version). There are sample question papers and answer scripts with their scores on the IELTS website - have a look and see what you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.