IELTS - T/F/NG Help!

Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS - T/F/NG Help!

Originally Posted by AndyR
You only need 7 in each section for the 25 points. I got an average of 8 but unfortunately got a 6 in the reading first time, hence this thread.

You can't take notes no but while your listening in the test you can write in the question sheet as you get time at the end to transfer your answers.
Good luck next week Andy, I am sure you will be fine!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

steveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant future

As many of you know I managed to fail my first IELTS test last month on the reading section (scored 6 and needed 7). I am pretty sure I was let down as not really understanding the True / False / Not Given questions enough.

Basically, if the questions is true does that mean that it actually has to say that in clear text in the article.

For example. If it the article was "The cat was sitting on the corner of the mat", and the question said "The car was sat on the mat". Would this be true or not??

Or does the question have to be word for word the same as the article in order for it to be true etc?

Hope that makes sense? I've got 3 books on IELTS now and they all seem to contradict each other a bit on this area so I'm just looking for some support please
Hi Andy, Just to let you know I failed my IELTS this time last year on......yes you guessed it the true, false and not given. everyone was so shocked when I failed (one of the first to do the IELTS due to change on the 1st September points system) scored 6 instead of the required 7.

Just attack the questions and think sod it, it doesn't say such and such so therefore the answer is not given, or yes its told me this or no it hasn't told me. Don't read too much into it.

The international students thought it hilarious that I was retaking the IELTS !!!!! Thank goodness I passed second time (with a 9, though the score for the speaking dropped from a 9 to an 8!!! as I couldn't understand the lady asking the questions)

Good luck, and don't read too much into the questions, take water and some sweets with you. All the best
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone. I have been practicing all weekend and did 9 complete reading sample tests. Scored 39/40 on 8 of them and 38/40 on the other so feeling much better about it all now. The questions I got wrong were the "pick a heading for a paragraph" questions but even when I saw the correct answer I still didn't get it because of the topic, but overall I feel a lot better about it now.

My listening (8.5) and speaking (9.0) were fine last time although I'll do a couple of listening ones later in the week to brush up, and if I feel like it I might speak to someone during the week just in case

My writing last time was borderline (7.0) which was a huge shock after passing the RPL. I was reading up about this afterwards and I think i didn't structure it correctly into the number of paragraphs in the essay part so I'll make sure I do a better job this time.

Feeling more confident this time so just hope I pass!! Got some books with me to do more reading tests on my lunch break this week as well, feeling commited at the moment
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

MSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to all

Thanks everyone. I have been practicing all weekend and did 9 complete reading sample tests. Scored 39/40 on 8 of them and 38/40 on the other so feeling much better about it all now. The questions I got wrong were the "pick a heading for a paragraph" questions but even when I saw the correct answer I still didn't get it because of the topic, but overall I feel a lot better about it now.

My listening (8.5) and speaking (9.0) were fine last time although I'll do a couple of listening ones later in the week to brush up, and if I feel like it I might speak to someone during the week just in case

My writing last time was borderline (7.0) which was a huge shock after passing the RPL. I was reading up about this afterwards and I think i didn't structure it correctly into the number of paragraphs in the essay part so I'll make sure I do a better job this time.

Feeling more confident this time so just hope I pass!! Got some books with me to do more reading tests on my lunch break this week as well, feeling commited at the moment
Hey...Good Luck Andy...go get it this time
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MSGuy
Hey...Good Luck Andy...go get it this time
Thanks! Did 30 questions at lunch in 40mins (ran out of time) and got 28 correct. Two I got wrong, I did get correct but missed out a "the" or "a" when writing the answer! Will pay more attention when I'm not rushing.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

steveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant future

You will be fine. Good luck with the exam on Saturday and let us know how you get on. fingers crossed for you
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Thanks! Did 30 questions at lunch in 40mins (ran out of time) and got 28 correct. Two I got wrong, I did get correct but missed out a "the" or "a" when writing the answer! Will pay more attention when I'm not rushing.
Hello, I do mine on Saturday in UCD. BTW, which questions have you been doing and are they available online?

Regards.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steveandlesley
You will be fine. Good luck with the exam on Saturday and let us know how you get on. fingers crossed for you
Thanks will do!

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hello, I do mine on Saturday in UCD. BTW, which questions have you been doing and are they available online?
I've been using some books I have and also the ones on here http://www.ielts-exam.net which seem good.

I've done an general exam and 2 academic ones today and passed both of them with 8's so fingers crossed I'm feeling a bit more confident with it now (touch wood!)
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Good luck to everyone taking your IELTS.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geelong
Good luck to everyone taking your IELTS.
Urgh actually getting nervous this time. 1st time I felt fine but now I've failed once I am dreading tomorrow.

Feeling in much better shape this time, done 2 reading tests today 1g & 1a, and got 39/40 in both. Did some listening tests last night and passed both and not just cramming on the proper way to right essays even though I got a 7 last time.

Fingers crossed. Misses literally will kill me if I fail again!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

lucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nice

Urgh actually getting nervous this time. 1st time I felt fine but now I've failed once I am dreading tomorrow.

Feeling in much better shape this time, done 2 reading tests today 1g & 1a, and got 39/40 in both. Did some listening tests last night and passed both and not just cramming on the proper way to right essays even though I got a 7 last time.

Hi AndyR
Good luck tomorrow i've been reading your thread with interest. i had my IELTS last week and found the listening and reading the hardest. I think i have passed but i can't be sure. Just wanted to say good luck. I didn't revise half as much as you have done so now _im_ a bit worried. You'll be fine!!!!!!!!
lucierainbow
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:46 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Good luck indeed to you all

I have the pleasure of the IELTS tests to come - not even booked it yet

Clark
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck for tomorrow.

With the writing part of the exam just remember on the argumentive essay (the one that carriers more marks) to put an introduction, a couple of points for the argument and a couple of points against, what you think ,and then a conclusion.

Fingers crossed Lesley
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steveandlesley
Good luck for tomorrow.

With the writing part of the exam just remember on the argumentive essay (the one that carriers more marks) to put an introduction, a couple of points for the argument and a couple of points against, what you think ,and then a conclusion.

Fingers crossed Lesley
Thanks. Yeah just re-reading the "Ace The IELTS" book again to keep my mind fresh.

Hope I get some decent topics to write about
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

lucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nice

Thanks. Yeah just re-reading the "Ace The IELTS" book again to keep my mind fresh.

Hope I get some decent topics to write about
i've just remembered what i got for the 2nd part of my writing section 'some people beleive that employee's that have worked in a company a long time deserve promotion. Discuss what you think with references to your experience / knowledge' .....it was something very similar to that. The question nearly made me fall asleep to be honest. 250 words i was so bored by the end of it. Why couldn't they ask about something controversial or even slightly interesting. I hope i managed to pull off answering the question but goodness me what a boring one.
GOOD LUCK to you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.