Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Which IELTS Sydney test centre is advisable ?

Which IELTS Sydney test centre is advisable ?

Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

ahjiefreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which IELTS Sydney test centre is advisable ?

Hi,

I have taken twice for my IELTS and I obtained 6.5 for my writing. Other components were fine.

I have been trying to improve my written English. I am curious whether it might be due to the same test centre that I have chosen. I am based in Sydney, could anyone provide me some information whether where they have taken their ielts and possibly test centre that has more lenient markers?

Thanks.

Joseph
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

vober is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which IELTS Sydney test centre is advisable ?

Originally Posted by ahjiefreak
Hi,

I have taken twice for my IELTS and I obtained 6.5 for my writing. Other components were fine.

I have been trying to improve my written English. I am curious whether it might be due to the same test centre that I have chosen. I am based in Sydney, could anyone provide me some information whether where they have taken their ielts and possibly test centre that has more lenient markers?

Thanks.

Joseph
It makes no difference. IELTS is a standardized test and it doesnt matter in which test center or which city you write your exam in.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.

Joseph
Nice try.

But changing test centre isn't going to make a difference..
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.

Joseph
If the above is your normal standard, I'd say you've improved a fair bit from a 6.5. Good luck.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will be fine. Just give it another try. Best of luck.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

ahjiefreak is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the first time- 6.5 in Writing, others are fine.
Then the second and third time in Sydney
second time-6.5 in Writing, 6.5 in Reading
third time- 6.0 in Writing, 6.5 in Speaking

The second and third time is in the same centre.

This thing just bogged me down endlessly. I felt that the more time I took the exam, I obtained lower score.

Anyway,thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:20 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get there. Try and read as much as you can (magazines, newspapers etc.) and really practice the writing. Ask someone else to give feedback on your writing. I'm happy to read some practice essays if you send them via PM.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

luck-2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi goldchoccycoin,

Is your offer to read some practice essays still valid? . I am currently struggling to get 8 for my writing. Would be great if you could help.

And yes, I also wonder which test centre in sydney is more recommended.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

nbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to allnbondi is a name known to all

I've heard many theories about Sydney Test centres.
Some people I know took their test at some language school because they thought that they would get a good score if most of the other test takes there (presumably students of this institute) had a comparably lower level of english. They wouldnt do the test a universities such at UNSW or UTS because there were rumours that the standards are extremely high and it's impossibe to get high scores.
Turns out these people were proven wrong when they got their results back.

Test centres have the same standard and grading scale. I did mine at UTS some years ago and had no problem getting very high scores.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 5:40 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luck-2
Hi goldchoccycoin,

Is your offer to read some practice essays still valid? . I am currently struggling to get 8 for my writing. Would be great if you could help.

And yes, I also wonder which test centre in sydney is more recommended.
Sure, not a problem. I have 4 flights in the next 6 days so lots of time to read.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nbondi
I've heard many theories about Sydney Test centres.
Some people I know took their test at some language school because they thought that they would get a good score if most of the other test takes there (presumably students of this institute) had a comparably lower level of english. They wouldnt do the test a universities such at UNSW or UTS because there were rumours that the standards are extremely high and it's impossibe to get high scores.
Turns out these people were proven wrong when they got their results back.

Test centres have the same standard and grading scale. I did mine at UTS some years ago and had no problem getting very high scores.
Yea, that could be rumour only. However, actually, one of my friends took the test at Navitas and obtained 7 in writing, while when she did few times at uts, it was always 6.5. Since that time, she kept saying to me that Navitas is easier than other test centres. lol. Well, I reckon it all counts on luck. When you are lucky, you might get an easy to topic to write and as a result you achieve better score.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Sure, not a problem. I have 4 flights in the next 6 days so lots of time to read.
Thanks. I will see how I go first. Hopefully I can produce few essays for you to read.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luck-2
Yea, that could be rumour only. However, actually, one of my friends took the test at Navitas and obtained 7 in writing, while when she did few times at uts, it was always 6.5. Since that time, she kept saying to me that Navitas is easier than other test centres. lol. Well, I reckon it all counts on luck. When you are lucky, you might get an easy to topic to write and as a result you achieve better score.
Presumably she got the better mark and thought it easier simply because she'd had some practice by that point.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:19 am
Just Joined

cyber_drac is an unknown quantity at this point

Do your homework rather than finding a test location. Do lot of practice tests and be prepared !!!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

opfian is an unknown quantity at this point

does it make any difference ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.