Wikiposts

Ielts results

Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:55 am
Just Joined

leanneder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ielts results

Hi, looking for some help!

My husband has just had his ielts results back, 8.5, 6.5, 7.0 and 8.5, overall result of 7.5. Are we right in thinking that he needs 7 in each of the skills to gain 10 points towards emigrating?

If so has anybody got any advice on whether he should re-sit or ask for it to be remarked?

Gutted if this is the case, just .5 off getting what we need
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

movingdownunderihope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ielts results

You need 7 in all 4 bands to get the 10 points. The overall doesn't really mean anything for points.

I would be tempted to get it remarked. It's only .5 off in 1 band, I'd say its worth it.

Which part was 6.5?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:23 am
Just Joined

It was the reading part, seems such a pain to re-sit!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

movingdownunderihope is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the academic reading papers to practice. They're harder so if you get used to the the general training reading should be easier.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Ok, thank you for your reply and help.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leanneder
It was the reading part, seems such a pain to re-sit!
Sometimes IELTS scores come back higher after a remark, but never seen that with reading. It is either right or wrong and marking is done by a machine. On the other hand speaking and writing are human marked and can be subjective, so sometimes a remark results in a better score.

I think he needs to book a resit, you could waste a lot of time on a remark, it isn't a quick process.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you, we're so frustrated and we're only at the beginning!!!

The next test close to home isn't until June, putting us back yet another three months plus we just don't have the money to keep paying for re-sits.

Don't know what to do
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, we're so frustrated and we're only at the beginning!!!

The next test close to home isn't until June, putting us back yet another three months plus we just don't have the money to keep paying for re-sits.

Don't know what to do
The what to do comes down to a simple decision. Retake the IELTs or don't and forget about your plans to apply for the skilled migrant visa. There is the option of finding an employer to sponsor for a visa, but this isn't something most people can pull off and retaking IELTs would seem a more straight forward option.

Could you bite the bullet and travel a little further for the test to get one sooner? Make a day or weekend of it. We went down to Brighton when I did mine, we lived in Hertfordshire at the time.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:07 am
Just Joined

That's a really nice idea, we could do with a break. You're right the ielts way is the only realistic way for us.

Thank you for your help, just feeling a little disheartened already!!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chin up. Don't let it get you down, this hurdle will be another one behind you soon enough.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Calmar is an unknown quantity at this point

we have had the same thing, overall score was 7 but our visa consultant has said today that my husband needs a 7 in everything or an 8 if after his 33rd birthday, gutted. totally. Apparently the overall score is only excepted if coming into the UK or Canada. With the test costing £125 each time it could get expensive, very annoying.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Terrible isn't it Calmar, my husband's overall score was 7.5 which as you said counts for nothing.

After speaking to my husband he feels that he is no longer willing to go ahead with the migration, he is upset that he has had such a near miss and feels cheated by it, he doesn't see why he should re-sit and pay out another £140.00 for the possible same outcome. We have two children under three and this sort of cost is not what we need, we know it's a costly process and are prepared for that but this really has put a downer on it all.

Upset because it's what I really want

I hope you get yours sorted Calmar
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible isn't it Calmar, my husband's overall score was 7.5 which as you said counts for nothing.

After speaking to my husband he feels that he is no longer willing to go ahead with the migration, he is upset that he has had such a near miss and feels cheated by it, he doesn't see why he should re-sit and pay out another £140.00 for the possible same outcome. We have two children under three and this sort of cost is not what we need, we know it's a costly process and are prepared for that but this really has put a downer on it all.

I'm really sorry if this sounds harsh, but if he's willing to give up at the first hurdle then maybe emigrating is not the right thing for him. I can give you a 100% guarentee that moving to a new country is chock full of hurdles and disappointments.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A few months serious practice would get his mark up. If he's giving up at the first hurdle then he's obviously not that keen. Don't know why he'd feel cheated, the rules are the rules and presumably you knew that when you started. They want the best coming over, they have to draw the line somewhere.

A visa for any country is a privilege, not a right. The immigration department has to think of the country as a whole, not the wants of a few individual would be migrants.

When your husband gets over his mini tantrum tell him to get back to his books, practise his English across the board and have another go.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Calmar is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the same boat, two children under 7, the difference is we both made the decision to get to Aus, i have managed this morning to get him booked on the next IELTS test which is 21st April, but if the scores are not all 7 that time he will have to score an 8 in each subject as he will be a year older (33) by the time the tests after that take place, its hard but the other option is getting sponsored but having to stay with the same company for 4yrs is a long time when you know nothing about them, no matter how much you research you never know until you experience it first hand....we have never ever been to Australia, we have some family and friends out there but we dont own our home here so we are going to just go for it, hopefully!! He's a welder firstclass and im a childminder but my qualifications are not needed so we have to go on his, are you doing this all on your own or do you have a migration company? we have a company finding things out for us, its pricey but i think it will be worth it as they let us know which staes are offering sponsorship, although we have se our hearts on Perth and they aren sponsoring Welders at the moment!! Good luck We've not given up yet, and wont be beaten!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.