IELTS help please

Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:47 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice
Default IELTS help please

Hi
I'm new to this forum! Can anyone out there tell me how hard is it to pass the test? My hubby needs the band 7 to qualify for a visa, but talk about stress! Booked him in on Oct 20th for general training. Funny thing is he has an MA in History and is obviously well educated, but his English is not tip top! Am on the net trying to find as much info as poss. but would love to hear from someone who's just passed or even failed to hear about their experiences! Can anyone give some reassurance?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS help please

Hi, try not to stress!

I got my results last week - overall score of 9!

I have a post grad too and found it fairly easy. Top tip would be to get the practice book .

Check out the threads on the subject too!

Good luck.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Hi again,

Found an informative thread for you;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478648
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:16 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gotooz1
Hi again,

Found an informative thread for you;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478648
Thanks so much and well done!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jasb
Thanks so much and well done!
That's OK!

Good luck in your exam, my tips would be;

1. Get the practice book to put your mind at rest.
2. Suss out where the test is - it was difficult to park at both of mine. So leave plenty of time to get there and park.
3. Take plenty of sharp pencils and a rubber.
4. Try to relax but concentrate really hard on the listening test as it is easy to lose concentration!
5. Expect to be the only English speaking person there!
6. Book a second test so you have a back up!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gotooz1
That's OK!

Good luck in your exam, my tips would be;

1. Get the practice book to put your mind at rest.
2. Suss out where the test is - it was difficult to park at both of mine. So leave plenty of time to get there and park.
3. Take plenty of sharp pencils and a rubber.
4. Try to relax but concentrate really hard on the listening test as it is easy to lose concentration!
5. Expect to be the only English speaking person there!
6. Book a second test so you have a back up!

7. Write the answers in English not Welsh
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:23 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

Smile Re: IELTS help please

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
7. Write the answers in English not Welsh
LOL! Don't worry, Welsh is not very well known in our house!!! Thanks for all your advice, both of you. I have ordered some practise material and a book. Good job we've started to practise already - first lesson learnt - time is the biggest enemy! Hopefully be on top of it all before the test, a month to go......
Thanks again
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

LOL! Don't worry, Welsh is not very well known in our house!!! Thanks for all your advice, both of you. I have ordered some practise material and a book. Good job we've started to practise already - first lesson learnt - time is the biggest enemy! Hopefully be on top of it all before the test, a month to go......
Thanks again
I was going to be like you. my test was booked for the 20th Oct, but the test centre called and said they had a cancellation if I could come in 3 days time. Mass panic! I had the book, but hadn't looked at it because I thought I had another 6 weeks!

So do the practice NOW! Just in case. Actually, that is another tip, if you want to bring the test forward, ask the test centre to let you know if they have a cancellation.

Good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

Hi, look at the thread 'Native English Speakers - changes 1st September' which is green at the beginning of the subjects.

Have a look at my reply. My husband sat the test last Saturday. Waiting for the results, but get plenty of practice papers and tapes in.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I'm new to this forum! Can anyone out there tell me how hard is it to pass the test? My hubby needs the band 7 to qualify for a visa, but talk about stress! Booked him in on Oct 20th for general training. Funny thing is he has an MA in History and is obviously well educated, but his English is not tip top! Am on the net trying to find as much info as poss. but would love to hear from someone who's just passed or even failed to hear about their experiences! Can anyone give some reassurance?
I assume your husband is a native English speaker?

I don't think you should be worried: I have never been to an English speaking country before, I have learned English at school and later by myself and I passed with an overall band 7.5.
So, don't worry and good luck!
(you don't even need luck, he'll pass it )
cheers!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

you are worrying about the IELTS. What about people who are not native speakers?!
Just relax,it is a piece of cake for you!
and good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:29 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

Originally Posted by makido
Guys,

you are worrying about the IELTS. What about people who are not native speakers?!
Just relax,it is a piece of cake for you!
and good luck!
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling so much better about it now. We have gone through some practise runs and I have just received the official IELTS practise book and it isn't quite as bad as I had anticipated! Almost looking forward to the big day now (Easy for me as I'm not the one sitting the test!) Congratulations to all who've posted and passed, good luck to those waiting for results!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

che1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling so much better about it now. We have gone through some practise runs and I have just received the official IELTS practise book and it isn't quite as bad as I had anticipated! Almost looking forward to the big day now (Easy for me as I'm not the one sitting the test!) Congratulations to all who've posted and passed, good luck to those waiting for results!
hi we are in the same situation as yourselfs we had test booked for 20 oct only the centre lost app form. so booked at different centre for 6 oct. dont panic someone left me a thread saying how easy it was. but as they said dont be suprised if you are the only english one there also download the hand book off of the IELTS website it will put your mind at rest.

good luck hope all goes well
joanne