British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   ielts help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/ielts-help-672565/)

emma jayne Jun 15th 2010 1:45 pm

ielts help

hi guys anyone got any good tips for the reading part of the ielts?

i have sat the exam 3 times and pass everything well apart form the dreaded READING PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st exam 6.0
2nd exam 6.5
3rd exam 6.5

i am sitting the exam in two weeks at bangor university and am sooo scared am going to get a 6.5 again - does anyone have any useful tips ?

help help help !

ps i have two of the reading books and am using them. xx:confused:

Cheetah7 Jun 15th 2010 1:49 pm

Re: ielts help

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 8634453)

i have sat the exam 3 times and pass everything well apart form the dreaded READING PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st exam 6.0
2nd exam 6.5
3rd exam 6.5

i am sitting the exam in two weeks at bangor university and am sooo scared am going to get a 6.5 again - does anyone have any useful tips ?

help help help !

The IELTS is not always as easy as people think and many get low marks on sections they never thought.

Is there anywhere else that you can sit it? I am not being funny but if you change your environment it might have an effect on your approach.

The only other thing I can think of is do mock exams at home until you are more confident.

My husband had two cracks at the whip, he had a different examiner for the second one.

I feel for you because so much rests on the results.

:o

Sally Simpson Jun 15th 2010 1:55 pm

Sorry, no advice to give, was very lucky not to have to sit it.
Just wanted to wish you loads of luck though:fingerscrossed:

emma jayne Jun 15th 2010 1:56 pm

i am from liverpool and so sat my first exam their, however my examiner messed up the exam and told everyone we had 20 mins left instead of 40! so failed that with a 6.0!

appealed and resat the exam with the pressure tht if passed by i point 7.0 i would get a full refund! and of course i got 6.5! :frown:

then tried a new test center last month in warwichshire and messed up at the last minute and again 6.5!

i just wondered if anyone had any good reading tips?

thanx for advice hun - wish me luck in bangor xx

emma jayne Jun 15th 2010 1:58 pm

thanx sally! hey my names emma simpson you must of felt a vibe off my name :rofl:

just hope i can get the mark i need - ave moved in with the in laws to save extra because we want to get over their this year i possible!

wish me luck xx:thumbsup:

Sally Simpson Jun 15th 2010 2:00 pm

K sent hon!:fingerscrossed:

Bex and Si Jun 15th 2010 2:03 pm

I remember how nerve racking it was and I'm an English teacher!
Stay calm, deep breaths and ensure you take your time over your response. The test is 'basic' comprehension (though not as 'basic' as advertised - I didn't get full marks!) Though just to contradict myself, try not to puzzle over the tasks or questions too long as this will probably make you respond more analytically than necessary - that was my small blip on the paper.
There's nothing else that I can suggest (valium? ;) ) other than convincing yourself of a positive outcome, teamed with revision and try not to put yourself under too much pressure, if you don't get the necessary marks again you can resit. Good luck!

Bermudashorts Jun 15th 2010 2:13 pm

I recommend taking your time with the reading section, for a native speaker it is not a difficult text to read, so read it through carefully a couple of times before you start trying to answer the questions.

Another thing to watch out for is that you follow the instructions very carefully, i.e. if they ask for in no more than three words, don't use four. Apparently they catch people out on that.

Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

Alfresco Jun 15th 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 8634489)
thanx sally! hey my names emma simpson you must of felt a vibe off my name :rofl:

just hope i can get the mark i need - ave moved in with the in laws to save extra because we want to get over their this year i possible!

wish me luck xx:thumbsup:

Sally's an imposter! ;)

I tested my wife until the cows came home and she passed.

Search for 'IELTS Practise' on Google, there are lots of them.

Wishing you Good Luck for your next one. :fingerscrossed:

millyc Jun 15th 2010 7:14 pm

Try these links they helped me :
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/elc/booklet/Reading.pdf
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/elc/study_preparation.html
they teach you how to answer the questions quickly and correctly. hope it helps.

simfaisal Jun 15th 2010 8:26 pm

Hi Emma,

I'd recommend that be confident & calm youself first.
Next, as professional princess said, do as much as mock exams at home.
Third tip, do not use the same old books
Next is success.
Best regards,
:thumbup:

musmanasghar Jun 16th 2010 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 8634453)

1st exam 6.0
2nd exam 6.5
3rd exam 6.5

help help help !

Hi EMMA

Please find below my personal TIPS and keep in mind i have got 8 in READING only because of this thing .... GOOD LUCK

General TIP

1- Always Read question carefully, dont get excited or read half question, make sure that you know wat has been demanded in question... if question says NOT MORE THAN THREE WORDS then make sure there must not FOUR words or more... else question will be considered wrongly answered

READING

1- Take a quick glance of questions before reading paragraph.

2- My approach was dat i always starts wid 3rd paragraph, then 2nd then 1st. because 3rd one is always difficult n
lengthy... as a result u will get maximum time.

3- Always hunt Adjectives (Nouns, Places, Names, Dates) in given paragraphs... u can say dat ADJECTIVES are ur enemies... UNDERLINE each n every Adjective... You will see that when u see your questions you can directly refer to underlined statements..

4- Do not consume more than 18 mins in each paragraph as a result u will get 6 mins extra after three paragraphs for rechecking ... improve ur reading ability... use skipping or skimming where required.

5- Copy Your answers on answer sheet as soon as u finish wid each paragraph... do not wait for the end of test because in case you will face time shortage then it will make sure that there are enuff answers to save your score.

Sally Simpson Jun 16th 2010 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8634855)
Sally's an imposter! ;)

:ohmy::frown:

& your wife must be a veritable saint!;)

Alfresco Jun 16th 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8636479)
:ohmy::frown:

& your wife must be a veritable saint!;)

I meant kind and helpful you are Sal. :D

Indeed she is and has to put up with the devilish me. :)

newjersey Jun 16th 2010 2:24 pm

Watch out for the "not given" type questions - these try to throw you off into a common knowledge by answering a yes or no. You have to stick to the text to answer these, if it is not there, it would be more likely NG than true or false.