IELTS- General or Academic

Old Sep 21st 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

mpervez is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IELTS- General or Academic

I am in confusion for which module of IELTS should I sit?

As given in DIAC website, one need to take only the general training test unless otherwise advised by skills assessing authority. [http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-english.htm]

According to my skill assessing authority IEAust either the general or academic modules of IELTS is required.

I have certain advantage if I go for academic module. Because in that case I can apply to universities for higher education with the same IELTS result.

Can I go ahead with academic module? Please suggest urgently.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Java is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS- General or Academic

The IELTS Academic is accepted by DIAC.

Cheers
Java
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

dan23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Java
The IELTS Academic is accepted by DIAC.

Cheers
Java
What's the difference between them?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:16 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH only had to pass the general IELTS test for his visa application - I think the academic one is for people wanting to go into further education, so it's harder than the general one but i'm not sure
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Java is an unknown quantity at this point

The academic IELTS is harder than the General Training IELTS. The speaking and listening modules are the same for both of them. However, the reading and writing modules are different, and are harder in the academic IELTS. The academic IELTS is for people wanting to go into further education as mary1967 has indicated.

Cheers
Java
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Tammyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I took the IELTS 2 months ago and was advised that the general was the one to take for migration. As other posts have said the academic is for university candidates.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Had choice of doing either General or academic: for your visa, either would be accepted. For further education, academic would be one to choose.

For examples of the difference in questions, please see here:

http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...e_samples.aspx

If your first language is not english and you are doing the test for visa purposes, the general would be easier. Or, if you are really looking to stretch yourself, do both.....

Twinset
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:07 am
Just Joined

How do you pretty much sure that either general or academic will be accepted? Can you mention any example or refference?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpervez
How do you pretty much sure that either general or academic will be accepted? Can you mention any example or refference?
If the question is so important to you, maybe you should seek some paid professional assistance.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:14 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I did academic and my visa was granted - most people do general.

It's up to you.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking
I did academic and my visa was granted - most people do general.

It's up to you.
Thanks a lot. I am just affirmed from your practical case.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice
Cool Re: IELTS- General or Academic

Hey buddy... let me ask you a small question... ARE YOU CRAZY??

just do the damn general which is so easy and get the VISA done first. get in to OZ and think about the higher education latter.

why you get naked without even seeing the sea?? first get to the shore then get naked..
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by peaceboy
Hey buddy... let me ask you a small question... ARE YOU CRAZY??

just do the damn general which is so easy and get the VISA done first. get in to OZ and think about the higher education latter.

why you get naked without even seeing the sea?? first get to the shore then get naked..
Though english is not my native laguage, I have a strong base of english, my education medium was english and I work in a english spoken environment. So I am bit confident to make the things at a time. Thanks, you thought a lot for me.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

"Though english is not my native laguage(language), I have a strong base of english, my education medium was english and I work in a(n) english spoken (speaking) environment. So(,) I am bit confident to make the (?)things at a time. Thanks, you(?have) thought a lot for me."
Now, these English lessons are free!
HKA
(I am now ducking!)
x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

pReSSuRe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
"Though english is not my native laguage(language), I have a strong base of english, my education medium was english and I work in a(n) english spoken (speaking) environment. So(,) I am bit confident to make the (?)things at a time. Thanks, you(?have) thought a lot for me."
Now, these English lessons are free!
HKA
(I am now ducking!)
x
lol

What Peaceboy said. Just do the General Training module for your visa. Then worry about the higher education later. I did my General Training module today, and trust me, the reading and writting sections (especially reading) are much much easier than the Academic module. And talking to people, it is found that most screw up and fail because of their reading sections. Dont treat it like a walk in the park coz even the native users will fail if they're not careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.