IELTS exam this sat - any tips!?

Old Oct 30th 2014, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

laura644 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS exam this sat - any tips!?

I have my IELTS exam this Saturday, just wondering if anyone has any tips??
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS exam this sat - any tips!?

Originally Posted by laura644
Nothing beyond the tips that are listed here. Good luck!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Main thing is to not worry about it or blow it out of proportion. It is a test of your literacy skills, it is not an English A level or even GCSE.

Be familiar with the format of the test and be prepared to hang around for most of the day if you are last up for the speaking test.

Try not to carry a lot of personal belongings with you as everything will be taken off you bar a pencil or two and locked away. If you are bringing a drink, make is plain water, I had a coloured drink, Ribena I think, and it was confiscated.

My tips for each test:

Reading:
Read the whole passage a couple of times before you even start. You might see tips to skim read and highlight key points, but that is for people working in a foreign language. For you, it is easy to just read it and really get a feel for the text. Once you have done that, then look at the questions. You will have plenty of time, remember other people are doing this in their second or third language and the time is set for that.

Writing:
If you don't know anything on the subject, don't worry, just make stuff up. This is not a test of your debating skills or general knowledge. Leave every other line blank for corrections later if required. Don't try to show off by using fancy words that you are not sure of, better to use plain English.

Listening:
Extremely easy part of the test for a native speaker. But it is no time dor daydreaming! So just concentrate. You will hear no more than a couple of sentences and then be asked very easy questions on what was just said.

Speaking:
If you can hold a conversation at the bus stop with someone you have nothing to worry about on this one. Just make sure you speak and don't overthink it, again it is not a general knowledge test. I was asked about gardening and what book I read last.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

thank you very much, great advice
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Main thing is to not worry about it or blow it out of proportion. It is a test of your literacy skills, it is not an English A level or even GCSE.

Be familiar with the format of the test and be prepared to hang around for most of the day if you are last up for the speaking test.

Try not to carry a lot of personal belongings with you as everything will be taken off you bar a pencil or two and locked away. If you are bringing a drink, make is plain water, I had a coloured drink, Ribena I think, and it was confiscated.

My tips for each test:

Reading:
Read the whole passage a couple of times before you even start. You might see tips to skim read and highlight key points, but that is for people working in a foreign language. For you, it is easy to just read it and really get a feel for the text. Once you have done that, then look at the questions. You will have plenty of time, remember other people are doing this in their second or third language and the time is set for that.

Writing:
If you don't know anything on the subject, don't worry, just make stuff up. This is not a test of your debating skills or general knowledge. Leave every other line blank for corrections later if required. Don't try to show off by using fancy words that you are not sure of, better to use plain English.

Listening:
Extremely easy part of the test for a native speaker. But it is no time dor daydreaming! So just concentrate. You will hear no more than a couple of sentences and then be asked very easy questions on what was just said.

Speaking:
If you can hold a conversation at the bus stop with someone you have nothing to worry about on this one. Just make sure you speak and don't overthink it, again it is not a general knowledge test. I was asked about gardening and what book I read last.
What a helpful, reassuring post
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 3:50 pm
maxpayne

mfahadjalil is an unknown quantity at this point

Relax your mind, don't practice before one week cause you are not going to improve any of your ability in 4,5 days.

make your timing strategy.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

I sat the exam on Saturday and all was fine.

I have just however realised that I sat the general exam and need to sit the academic, as my skills assessing authority require academic :-(
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:29 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I have just however realised that I sat the general exam and need to sit the academic, as my skills assessing authority require academic :-(
That's annoying. Good luck with the next one, hopefully it won't delay you very much
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. Well if you get lower points in the academic, maybe this one will come in useful for your points score.