British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   IS IELTS Essential? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/ielts-essential-884131/)

ukkiwioz Oct 3rd 2016 8:27 am

IS IELTS Essential?

Im struggling to find imformation about with... am I right in thinking that even as a native english speaker I will have to pay the money and take the test for the points??

Bermudashorts Oct 3rd 2016 9:02 am

Re: IS IELTS Essential?

IELTS is not essential for native English speakers holding certain passports including British. But most people will do it anyway because it is a big help with points.

verystormy Oct 4th 2016 5:26 am

If you want to claim the points for English language then you need tondo the test.

steven9818 Oct 7th 2016 2:16 pm

If you are British why would you need the points?

Pollyana Oct 7th 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by steven9818 (Post 12070753)
If you are British why would you need the points?

Because many people do not have enough points to qualify for a skills visa without taking IELTS. A good score can get you more points than just being a native English speaker.

Jacko86 Nov 23rd 2016 9:16 pm

My understanding is that an average score of 8.0 in the general IELTS gets an extra 20 points. That's massive! More than the 15 points for some qualifications.

I'm about to apply to do IELTS in January. £165 but I'll only have 45 points without it. 65 with it. That's the difference between not having enough points and having enough.

spouse of scouse Nov 23rd 2016 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jacko86 (Post 12113040)
My understanding is that an average score of 8.0 in the general IELTS gets an extra 20 points. That's massive! More than the 15 points for some qualifications.

I'm about to apply to do IELTS in January. £165 but I'll only have 45 points without it. 65 with it. That's the difference between not having enough points and having enough.

If your speaking and listening skills are as good as your written, you'll fly in. Best of luck.

Jacko86 Nov 23rd 2016 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12113092)
If your speaking and listening skills are as good as your written, you'll fly in. Best of luck.

:thumbup:

xizzles Nov 24th 2016 1:20 pm

Good luck!

Richard_Gregan Nov 25th 2016 10:31 am

If you don't do so well the first time around, don't be too disheartened. Many people improve on their second attempt, as by then they know what they are letting themselves in for. I would also recommend tuition to help bump up the mark. There are plenty good IELTS tutors out there, not to mention the free materials available via the British Council website: IELTS Free Practice tests to develop your exam technique

Regards,

Richard Gregan
MARN 9905168
Overseas Emigration Visas

Jacko86 Nov 27th 2016 7:00 pm

Just booked for 21st Jan. First significant money spent of the whole process. Exciting :thumbsup:

Richard_Gregan Nov 29th 2016 9:56 am

Good luck Jack.

Get revising!

Regards,

Richard Gregan
MARN 9905168
Overseas Emigration Visas