IELTS 'Enquiry on Results'

Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS 'Enquiry on Results'

Originally Posted by qadeer591
I think the kind of statement "some of you were lucky to receive 6, let alone anything higher" is not called for.
IELTS evaluators do not do any favour. They evaluate strictly based on your performance in the test.
As I said, I was talking generally, not specifically. I was objecting to the statements that people were surprised about a score for someone they know absolutely nothing about. Whilst they're trying to be supportive, it's not helpful because they actually have no idea if the score was correct or not. Just because someone gets a higher score for other elements doesn't mean that the lower mark is incorrect.

I had previously stated that only the one who needs a higher score can decide whether to retake the test or apply for a remark. Just because one or two have received positive remarks, doesn't mean everyone else will.

And my comments you took offence to, stands imo. Some people who have received high IELTS scores seem to be unable to make others understand their questions when they post on BE. That is a fact.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My university educated, engineer husband would probably struggle to achieve 7 on the written portion of the test, although he most certainly would score highly in the listening, reading and speaking modules. He has a very mild learning disability where he struggles with spelling and grammar, although English is his first language.

Because someone gets 7, 8 or 9 in the some modules does not mean they necessarily should score highly in all of them.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:40 am
Banned

gr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well I am not surprised and I've not seen his paper either. However judging by the fact that many of you have English as your second language, and judging by the spelling, grammar and general ability to write cohesive sentences by some of you on British Expats, I would surmise that some of you were lucky to receive 6, let alone anything higher. When the IELTS tests causes problems to some who have English as a first language, I fail to understand why you (general) expect to receive the mark you require. It's like the visa, it's not your right to receive the score you want.
For somebody performed well on modules other than writing, then there's an obvious chance of an error in checking. The IELTS examiners accept this as possible and hence perform extra checking if they find one module's score to be subtantially lower/higher from other modules' scores.

secondly judging somebodie's score fr0m h0w th3y wr|t3 on an internet forum does not 'proof' nething. lifes donot ravolve arownd a forum on internet.

Most of us, non native English speakers are reasonably capable of writing as good as native English speakers and might not always be as concerned about how we write on internet as you (general) native English speakers. And this can well apply to anybody who takes part on an internet forum discussion.