Wikiposts

IELTS

Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about
Default IELTS

Hi All,

Have just heard from our agent saying that there are a lot of people failing the english test!!

anyone have an opinion on that?

mine is booked for the 01.12.07
and after speaking to the agent I have to admit i am starting to panic just a bit!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS

Well, I'd say your agent is a bit mean!

Myself and my OH both passed the IELTS. It's not too bad. I guess it depends on your basic standard of English, but I reckon anybody who got GSE's would pass easily.

Maybe people who fail, don't post on here, but I can honestly say that I haven't heard of one British National failing. Maybe your agent was thinking of non brits??

Try not to worry. Buy the practice book and practice! You will feel a lot more confident.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We had an Irish guy who just completed his degree thesis fail. The test is not easy and is not a given for native english speakers. I don't think the agent was being mean, but realistic.

The trick to the IELTS is to practice. For many people it's been a very long time since they wrote tests of any sort, so going in well prepared is your best bet.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

Thanks for replys, any practice book in particular?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

cambridge IELTS (pack)... i guess they must be in book 6 now... it's black and pink. make sure to get the pack, because that contains the CDs for the listening part.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

The centre where you booked your test should have the packs - ours was £10. You can also get them on Ebay. I gave ours to someone else on BE sitting the test, otherwise I would have sent it to you.

As everyone has said, practice is the key. The actual exam is not too difficult so long as you know what is expected of you. For example, they mark you down on spelling mistakes in the writing section, so avoid words you're not sure how to spell! In the listening section you must follow their instructions for the type of answer. Usually this is no more than 3 words. So if you wrote 4 words and even if the answer was correct, they would mark it incorrect! It's all about technique. The practice book also shows you how to fill in the answer sheets etc, so you don't panic when you see them.

Good luck!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

How much does it cost? How soon can you resit it? There is a guy I work with who is learning english. He's far more advanced than me when it comes to identifying grammar. I can speak as good as the Queen of england though. Perhaps she should be the guinea pig with these. If she fails then rewrite the test.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
How much does it cost? How soon can you resit it? There is a guy I work with who is learning english. He's far more advanced than me when it comes to identifying grammar. I can speak as good as the Queen of england though. Perhaps she should be the guinea pig with these. If she fails then rewrite the test.
The test cost us £95 in October. The book cost £10. You may feel that booking a second test 'just in case' will make you feel better. I think it depends on the centre, but the tests are roughly every 2 months(???). I think, they will give you a full refund if you cancel more than 4 weeks before the test, (but you will have to check this out with the centre.)

Good luck!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

DivingMissDaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: IELTS

Originally Posted by jenny79
cambridge IELTS (pack)... i guess they must be in book 6 now... it's black and pink. make sure to get the pack, because that contains the CDs for the listening part.

I bought the Cambridge 6 IELTS book with 2 CD's in Borders yesterday for £31.27. It is expensive, but having to re-sit the test would be £95 so thought it was worth it. Plus I can sell it on ebay afterwards to get some money back.

I've got my IELTS booked for the 1st December in Glasgow and am ababsolutely bricking it as English was my worst subject at school and dont even get me started on my spelin . It has been soooooo long since I sat any kind of test and thought the practice would help me to not go to pieces on the day. I'm going to go through the book at the weekend, but it does look really good.

My worry too is that each score has to be at least 7, so if I got an 8 in Speaking, Reading and Listening and a 6 in Writing and an all over band of 7.5 I would fail!:curse:

Good luck

Last edited by DivingMissDaisy; Nov 9th 2007 at 1:17 am.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

this is probably a stupid question but why do u have to take an english test? this is all new to me
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

If you are acedemic then you should fine the test ok, I did the acedemic test (you only need general) and got above 8.5 in all sections.

However, I have a degree and have lots of post uni qualifications so I am so used to sitting exams its untrue!!!

If you more of a trades person and not used to exams or its been a long time then practice.

I didn't but I didn't think I needed too.

Hope that helps.

Cx
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:22 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Originally Posted by originalfunster
Hi All,

Have just heard from our agent saying that there are a lot of people failing the english test!!

anyone have an opinion on that?

mine is booked for the 01.12.07
and after speaking to the agent I have to admit i am starting to panic just a bit!!
Hi

My husband passed his test a week ago and I was so worried at first. It is just a matter of learning how to pass the test - as a native English speaker you have all the skills required! You just have to learn the format. Spend an hour an evening practising a week or two before the test and I'm sure you'll be fine. My husband got an overall band of 8.5. There's alot of info on the net which can help alot. Get a book aswell - invaluable!

Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think there is a 60 day wait for resit.
Test consists of:
Listening approx 30 mins
Reading 60 mins
Writing 60 mins
Speaking 11-14 mins
Check out the website: www.ielts.org
There are some ielts blogs around too which are useful.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

we went everwhere today trying to get cambridge 6 with cd's, no one had it in stock and SMITHS had never heard of it!!, going to try ebay and amazon now and hope they arrive prompt....
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

OZ2GO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by originalfunster
we went everwhere today trying to get cambridge 6 with cd's, no one had it in stock and SMITHS had never heard of it!!, going to try ebay and amazon now and hope they arrive prompt....

If its of any help, I passed my IELTS exam last week. I bought material from IeltsHelpNow website. Material was excellent. I found the listening tests really helpful and the format was spot on. Couldn't fault it. May be more expensive than book but if you want something quick I would highly recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.