I have no idea...

Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:24 pm
Don't Panic.

phobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I have no idea...

I went to Australia on a WHV back in 2004 and I fell in love with the country and decided I wanted to permanently relocate there.

My problem is this:

I started a degree (BSc Computing Science) but it wasn't right for me, so I dropped out, this was before I went to Oz.

My work experience is, well, limited. I've always worked temp agency contracts doing pretty much anything they had to offer.

I'm looking into going back to uni to study for either a degree or HND/C in 2007 but I'm unsure what to study.

Basically, what advice would you give me to stand a better chance of getting any type of visa (preferably a skilled migrant)? Should I find a job and stay there for three years or get a degree? In short, I want out of the UK as soon as I can.

If I don't have family in Australia would I have to rely on an employer to sponsor me?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm grateful for any help/advice you can give me.

Thank you all for your time.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:31 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I have no idea...

It sounds like you may have a tough time getting a skilled migrant visa. My best guess would be a student visa would get you out of the UK the fastest and easiest. I'm sure tuition would be expensive, but it would get in you in the country and get you a degree which seems to be what you want. While there you could get part time work experience in the country.

To be honest I don't know much about your situation so I'm really just telling you what I think. I would wait and see what everyone else has to say, and if you're still not sure I suggest you speak with an agent.

Good luck,

Haley
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:56 am
Don't Panic.

phobia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
It sounds like you may have a tough time getting a skilled migrant visa. My best guess would be a student visa would get you out of the UK the fastest and easiest. I'm sure tuition would be expensive, but it would get in you in the country and get you a degree which seems to be what you want. While there you could get part time work experience in the country.

To be honest I don't know much about your situation so I'm really just telling you what I think. I would wait and see what everyone else has to say, and if you're still not sure I suggest you speak with an agent.

Good luck,

Haley
Thank you for your reply. I've already looked into a student visa and also course costs, but alas, I just don't have some £15,000+.

I was wondering if it were at all possible to study/train for a trade, say an electrician or a plumber and aapply for a permanent visa after completion of the training? My guess is it can't be done seeing as I have to study for a minimum of 2 years at 20 something hours a week.

Has anyone else been over to train for a trade and successfully been granted residency?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:42 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phobia
Thank you for your reply. I've already looked into a student visa and also course costs, but alas, I just don't have some £15,000+.

I was wondering if it were at all possible to study/train for a trade, say an electrician or a plumber and aapply for a permanent visa after completion of the training? My guess is it can't be done seeing as I have to study for a minimum of 2 years at 20 something hours a week.

Has anyone else been over to train for a trade and successfully been granted residency?
Theres been a few threads on doing cookery courses. Look through the archives and threads for cookery. Its not impossible. Just needs to be planned.

Theres always the spousal route if you find an Aussie Partner
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:29 am
Tony

mark213 wrote:

>>Thank you for your reply. I've already looked into a student visa and
    >>also course costs, but alas, I just don't have some £15,000+.
    >>I was wondering if it were at all possible to study/train for a trade,
    >>say an electrician or a plumber and aapply for a permanent visa after
    >>completion of the training? My guess is it can't be done seeing as I
    >>have to study for a minimum of 2 years at 20 something hours a week.
    >>Has anyone else been over to train for a trade and successfully been
    >>granted residency?
    >
    >
    > Theres been a few threads on doing cookery courses. Look through the
    > archives and threads for cookery. Its not impossible. Just needs to
    > be planned.
    >
    > Theres always the spousal route if you find an Aussie Partner ;)
    >
Hi Phobia

Lots of students come to Australia to do trades and then apply for
PR-hairdressing is popular. it's a popular route for people from India
and China. You shouldn't just do it to get PR tho-choose something your
interested in. Otherwise you'll lose interest and have a horrible time.

i certainly agree that getting some advice first would be a good
idea-you need to have a plan. Skilled visas are a real minefield and it
seems to be getting worse.

I'd be interested to hear why you fell in love with Oz. I've been here
all my life and I do love it. However I think that's because it's my
country and all my family and friends are here. Sometimes living in a
country is different to holidaying tho- I love Thailand but I don't
think I could live there!

Anyway, do your research and I hope it turns out well.

tony

www.jklawyers.com.au