British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Husband And Wife (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/husband-wife-900856/)

Becca30dunn Jul 30th 2017 5:22 pm

Husband And Wife

Hi All,
Not really sure where to start but me and my partner want to emigrate to Oz and have been looking at different visas ect and routes to do this.
What i wanted to ask is is there any benefit in a couple being married when applying for a visa?
My partner is a Bricklayer on the medium/long list so there isnt any problem with him but i am a hairdresser on the short term list,every which way i try and work a way round a visa for myself i hit a wall!
If we were married would this allow him to 'bring me along' so to speak?
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Pollyana Jul 30th 2017 9:19 pm

Re: Husband And Wife

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12305832)
Hi All,
Not really sure where to start but me and my partner want to emigrate to Oz and have been looking at different visas ect and routes to do this.
What i wanted to ask is is there any benefit in a couple being married when applying for a visa?
My partner is a Bricklayer on the medium/long list so there isnt any problem with him but i am a hairdresser on the short term list,every which way i try and work a way round a visa for myself i hit a wall!
If we were married would this allow him to 'bring me along' so to speak?
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

You don't have to be married, as long as you are living together and can prove a longstanding relationship, ideally with at least 12 months cohabitation ( its possible with less, but a lot harder).
If you have that proof of a de facto relationship then you can be on his application as a dependent spouse,same as if you were married.

Becca30dunn Jul 30th 2017 9:34 pm

Hi Pollyana,
Many thanks for your reply.
Thats good news then,are there still conditions for myself though being on his application like on the mtlssl list ect as my occupation is on short list sadly🤔

spouse of scouse Jul 30th 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12305922)
Hi Pollyana,
Many thanks for your reply.
Thats good news then,are there still conditions for myself though being on his application like on the mtlssl list ect as my occupation is on short list sadly� ����

No occupation conditions for you, you get your visa due to your partner's visa (ie as his dependent spouse)

You'll need to pass health and good character checks.

Becca30dunn Jul 31st 2017 8:28 am

Oh my word amazing!!thank u spouse of scouse really felt like he could go but i couldnt!Would u by chance happen to know the name of the visa that we would both go on please?thanks guys 👍🏼

old.sparkles Jul 31st 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12306091)
Oh my word amazing!!thank u spouse of scouse really felt like he could go but i couldnt!Would u by chance happen to know the name of the visa that we would both go on please?thanks guys 👍🏼

He needs to check that he can pass the skills assessment and also make the required points needed for a visa. Check out Vetassess - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations for information on assessment, and DIBP (visa finder - Visa Finder and will give info on all visas - 189 is best if you are eligible)

Becca30dunn Jul 31st 2017 9:07 am

Thanks OldSparkles appreciated.I just checked out vetasses website and its only giving me an option of a 457 visa which is strange as i know his occupation is on the new mtlssl list i might give them an email to double check as im sure hes eligible for a 190 visa too,so very confusing🤔Almost enough to put you off...but not quite😀

old.sparkles Jul 31st 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12306110)
Thanks OldSparkles appreciated.I just checked out vetasses website and its only giving me an option of a 457 visa which is strange as i know his occupation is on the new mtlssl list i might give them an email to double check as im sure hes eligible for a 190 visa too,so very confusing🤔Almost enough to put you off...but not quite😀

If you are UK Citizens, then the program is Offshore skills assessment program (OSAP) - are you checking here https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...cation-process

If he is eligible for a 189 it is the better option. 190 is a state sponsored visa so you have to find a state sponsoring that occupation, meet any additional criteria they may have which can include English, finances, etc , and possibly pay for the sponsorship in addition to visa fees.

Becca30dunn Aug 1st 2017 9:10 am

Thank you again old sparkles advice v much appreciated.
I see where i was going wrong i was selecting the wrong option on the Vetasses website.I have another question aswell now that i am concerned about,i emailed a travel visa bureau site and enquired about the 189 visa which we have found out my partner is eligible for however they have emailed back saying that its approx £6000 for this visa plus possible additional costs if adding myself on to it?!Is this correct or sound right im not sure as on the official Oz site it says alot less around 3650 and thats in AUD aswell?!🤔Very confused.com!
Any answers grately appreciated

Pollyana Aug 1st 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12306761)
Thank you again old sparkles advice v much appreciated.
I see where i was going wrong i was selecting the wrong option on the Vetasses website.I have another question aswell now that i am concerned about,i emailed a travel visa bureau site and enquired about the 189 visa which we have found out my partner is eligible for however they have emailed back saying that its approx £6000 for this visa plus possible additional costs if adding myself on to it?!Is this correct or sound right im not sure as on the official Oz site it says alot less around 3650 and thats in AUD aswell?!🤔Very confused.com!
Any answers grately appreciated

Current fees are here - Fees and charges for visas

For a 189 its $3670 for the applicant, $1835 for spouse/over 18s, and $920 for each child. Thats just the visa fee, the skills assessment, English tests, medicals and police checks are extra.
I suspect that whatever bureau you spoke to was including their fees in the price. If you are going to use an agent, make sure its a registered migration agent, not a travel agent or just a random bureau.

Becca30dunn Aug 1st 2017 9:21 am

Thanks Pollyana,in your opinion would you say to use an agent?if you dont mind me asking did you?Regards Becky

Pollyana Aug 1st 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12306765)
Thanks Pollyana,in your opinion would you say to use an agent?if you dont mind me asking did you?Regards Becky

I didn't go for a skills visa but if I had, I probably would have spoken to one.
If you are good at paperwork, at checking and treble-checking, and have time to get to grips with the process you can do it yourself, but an agent can give you peace of mind by checking things for you. Also if you have anything complex like medical conditions or criminal convictions its a good idea to use one

Becca30dunn Aug 1st 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12306767)
I didn't go for a skills visa but if I had, I probably would have spoken to one.
If you are good at paperwork, at checking and treble-checking, and have time to get to grips with the process you can do it yourself, but an agent can give you peace of mind by checking things for you. Also if you have anything complex like medical conditions or criminal convictions its a good idea to use one

Im good at p/work but not THAT good and to be honest think i would like the peace of mind that our application was good to go.When they say processing time between 9-12mths is that to get a final decision or do you find out sooner and its the p/work processing?Quite concerned also about paying that amount of money to poss be told no,i imagine they dont do refunds...😂

old.sparkles Aug 1st 2017 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Becca30dunn (Post 12306821)
Im good at p/work but not THAT good and to be honest think i would like the peace of mind that our application was good to go.When they say processing time between 9-12mths is that to get a final decision or do you find out sooner and its the p/work processing?Quite concerned also about paying that amount of money to poss be told no,i imagine they dont do refunds...😂

They don't refuse an application without grounds so if you are invited to apply and have not over claimed points, and in good health and of good character, and your evidence is verifiable, then you should be all good.

No they don't do refunds as the fee is for processing the application which they would have done.

First hurdle is always the skills assessment if you are sure that you can meet the points requirement. Check out what evidence is needed for that as even with an agent, you need to run around and gather the evidence needed. It is also possible to only use an agent for part of the process to reduce costs.

Becca30dunn Aug 1st 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12306834)
They don't refuse an application without grounds so if you are invited to apply and have not over claimed points, and in good health and of good character, and your evidence is verifiable, then you should be all good.

No they don't do refunds as the fee is for processing the application which they would have done.

First hurdle is always the skills assessment if you are sure that you can meet the points requirement. Check out what evidence is needed for that as even with an agent, you need to run around and gather the evidence needed. It is also possible to only use an agent for part of the process to reduce costs.

Great Pollyana thanks for your info glad i joined the forum now 😃Makes it not so much of an uphill climb i will discuss with OH tonight but already im so excited to go