HSBC messing me about

Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:16 am
Rob

Default HSBC messing me about

I applied online for the Aus online savings account with HSBC.

Printed the forms and took them to a UK HSBC to get my ID verified.

Was turned away because they hadn't known me for 12 months.

Told HSBC.au of this and they said the 12 month requirement doesn't apply to
bank staff.

Took the forms back, got them signed.

Sent the forms to Aus.

Waited.

Sent email to ask what was happening. Email ignored.

Waited another week.

Sent another email.

Today I'm told the forms have been sent back to me because the ID wasn't verified by
someone who knows me for 12+ months.

Arrrrggggggghhhhhh !

I'm beginning to wonder if HSBC are competent enough to hold my money for me.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

a1macc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HSBC messing me about

Mmmmmm guess I should go chase up my application, make msure theres no hold ups!!

Originally posted by Rob:

bank staff.

Sent the forms to Aus.

Waited.

Waited another week.

Sent another email.

Today I'm told the forms have been sent back to me because the ID wasn't verified by

Arrrrggggggghhhhhh !

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:46 am
Kieron Shorrock

HSBC are very small here in OZ. one a hand full of branches.

Try looking at CommonWealth Bank of Australia. You can open the account in England
ready for you when you get to OZ. You deal with the UK branch so no postal delays.

Once in Oz you can then change banks to one that best meets your needs.

Kieron "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I applied online for the Aus online savings account with HSBC.
    > Printed the forms and took them to a UK HSBC to get my ID verified.
    > Was turned away because they hadn't known me for 12 months.
    > Told HSBC.au of this and they said the 12 month requirement doesn't apply to
    > bank staff.
    > Took the forms back, got them signed.
    > Sent the forms to Aus.
    > Waited.
    > Sent email to ask what was happening. Email ignored.
    > Waited another week.
    > Sent another email.
    > Today I'm told the forms have been sent back to me because the ID wasn't verified
    > by someone who knows me for 12+ months.
    > Arrrrggggggghhhhhh !
    > I'm beginning to wonder if HSBC are competent enough to hold my money for me.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: HSBC messing me about

Don't even think about Commonwealth Bank. Have you seen their charges ? They charge you for everything - even £15 for paying money into your account. You will not be able to touch your money until you get to Australia which is too bad if the exchange rate nosedives.

HSBC offer a good interest rate on credit balances and don't really charge for general banking - just like we're used to here in the UK. However, I too have applied for an Oz bank account with them and I'm still waiting (only about 10 days though so far).

It doesn't matter how 'big' a bank is in Australia. Who needs to go into a branch anyway these days ? The charges are the main factor and take some getting used to for us UK citizens who are used to 'free' banking. I did some quick research and Commonwealth are very expensive and seem a bit behind the times. HSBC seemed to be amongst the cheapest.

Have a good look round before jumping in. If you are taking a considerable amount of cash to Oz then the banks should be queueing up for your custom. Any that aren't are not worth considering.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: HSBC messing me about

I too went for HSBC on the basis of (almost) free banking AND a decent rate of interest (currently 4.5%). Compared to all the other banking options this seems streets ahead.

Originally posted by etlniwd:
Don't even think about Commonwealth Bank. Have you seen their charges ? They charge you for everything - even £15 for paying money into your account. You will not be able to touch your money until you get to Australia which is too bad if the exchange rate nosedives.

HSBC offer a good interest rate on credit balances and don't really charge for general banking - just like we're used to here in the UK. However, I too have applied for an Oz bank account with them and I'm still waiting (only about 10 days though so far).

It doesn't matter how 'big' a bank is in Australia. Who needs to go into a branch anyway these days ? The charges are the main factor and take some getting used to for us UK citizens who are used to 'free' banking. I did some quick research and Commonwealth are very expensive and seem a bit behind the times. HSBC seemed to be amongst the cheapest.

Have a good look round before jumping in. If you are taking a considerable amount of cash to Oz then the banks should be queueing up for your custom. Any that aren't are not worth considering.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HSBC messing me about

Exactly the same thing happened to us with HSBC, so we went with Commonwealth Bank. We have had no problems with them and we weren't charged for transferring 50k into the account and we could negotiate an exchange rate when we moved our money to the Aus account. We use the account here (Sydney) all the time with the Epftos card which is very handy. And we don't get any charges as we have more than 40k in the account. The only charges we get is $1.25 if we use a non CBA ATM.

Well thats our experience anyway, things will probably change when we use our money up!

Mandy
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Norm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HSBC messing me about

We opened an online account with HSBC with relative ease. We had our local HSBC verify our ID and got our own bank to verify the "known for 12 months" part. Sent it off and the account was activated within 10 days.

Norm.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard some people extolling the virtues of ING as a place to deposit surplus funds - no branch network (=> low overheads), "good" (I use the word with caution) interest rates and internet banking access.

Here's their website:
http://www.ingdirect.com.au/

However, you will need a bank account with one of the more mainstream banks as well - maybe the HSBC?

If you are looking for an account in which to lodge funds pending your arrival in Australia I'd consider opening an account with the HSBC and ING and then transferring funds using (say) someone like Halewood (tel +44 (0)1753 859159 and please mention Go Matilda!) who don't charge a fee for transferring funds from the UK to Australia - even though you can (I gather) move money between GBP's and A$'s with HSBC I'd be checking the exchange rate and comparing it with people like Halewood.

Best regards.

bank staff.

Sent the forms to Aus.

Waited.

Waited another week.

Sent another email.

Arrrrggggggghhhhhh !

Last edited by Alan Collett; Aug 13th 2002 at 12:33 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:38 pm
Rob

In <[email protected]> Norm wrote:
    > We opened an online account with HSBC with relative ease. We had our local HSBC
    > verify our ID and got our own bank to verify the "known for 12 months" part. Sent
    > it off and the account was activated within 10 days.

I wish I'd gone to my own bank now, but HSBC.au told me to go to HSBC.uk.

That makes me angry.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Rob,

Dont worry about it, I went to my own bank in the UK, and they refused to sign saying it was an HSBC document so they couldn't sign it. I thought this was a bit lame as all they were doing was signing to confirm my identity. I then went to an HSBC branch who didnt know me, and after a bit of discussion signed the form.

In <[email protected]> Norm wrote:
    > We opened an online account with HSBC with relative ease. We had our local HSBC
    > verify our ID and got our own bank to verify the "known for 12 months" part. Sent
    > it off and the account was activated within 10 days.

I wish I'd gone to my own bank now, but HSBC.au told me to go to HSBC.uk.

That makes me angry.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:12 pm
Rob

In <[email protected]> a1macc wrote:
    > Rob,
    > Dont worry about it, I went to my own bank in the UK, and they refused to sign
    > saying it was an HSBC document so they couldn't sign it. I thought this was a bit
    > lame as all they were doing was signing to confirm my identity. I then went to an
    > HSBC branch who didnt know me, and after a bit of discussion signed the form.

And they accepted that ?

I got mine signed after the 2nd attempt, but the folks in Oz are sending it back
because I followed their instructions.

I wouldn't mind so much, but I have a couple of currency forward orders which will
mature in the next couple of weeks. I want an Oz$ account to send the money to.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: HSBC messing me about

I think it really does just depend who you get - I went into a local branch of HSBC - which is not even my branch, and the manager signed my form without question - she looked up my account history and confirmed on the form that she had known me for 5 years!
Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:39 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

[i]I wish I'd gone to my own bank now, but HSBC.au told me to go to HSBC.uk.

That makes me angry.
Don't get angry. Get Evan.

He's a bloody annoying Welshman I know
Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:55 pm
Liang

"Mandy Bale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Exactly the same thing happened to us with HSBC, so we went with Commonwealth Bank.
    > We have had no problems with them and we weren't charged for transferring 50k into
    > the account and we could negotiate an exchange rate when we moved our money to the
    > Aus account. We use the account here (Sydney) all the time with the Epftos card
    > which is very handy. And we don't get any charges as we have more than 40k in the
    > account. The only charges we get is $1.25 if we use a non CBA ATM.

Becareful, Commonwealth Bank charges $5/month for 'Account keeping fee' and limits
you to 5 transaction / month. Even their online banking incurr charges.

Go with HSBC, AMP Bank or Bendigo Bank (if you want to live in regional area). Don't
go with the big 4 banks in Australia.

L

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

Rob- I have posted a really long bit about my experinece with the HSBc here somewhere (do a search) - the local branch CAN sign the paperwork for you whether they have known you personally or not - it's your banking not you.... If they refuse then get them to ring the HSBC International department who will give them the word and get bloody annoyed at them too. My bank was sooooo apologetcic after ringing them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.