Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How soon to travel to Oz after residency accepted

How soon to travel to Oz after residency accepted

Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

littlehobo75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon to travel to Oz after residency accepted

Hi,

I am currently applying for skilled general migration. My application went in during March and I had my medical in April. I was originally planning to move in Jan if all went well, but I have since found out that my wife is pregnant. As we already have a 1 year old we have decided to delay any move for a couple of years.

My wife and daughter have not yet had their medicals. So my question is, if I get the visa granted in November say, how long can I leave it before travelling to Oz, do I have to go within a year of my medical? Can my wife leave her medical until just before we go, or will she need to have it before the visa is granted? Also, what would we need to do with the new child, will he/she automatically get residency, even if born in the UK?

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

ozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really nice
Default Re: How soon to travel to Oz after residency accepted

Originally Posted by littlehobo75
Hi,

I am currently applying for skilled general migration. My application went in during March and I had my medical in April. I was originally planning to move in Jan if all went well, but I have since found out that my wife is pregnant. As we already have a 1 year old we have decided to delay any move for a couple of years.

My wife and daughter have not yet had their medicals. So my question is, if I get the visa granted in November say, how long can I leave it before travelling to Oz, do I have to go within a year of my medical? Can my wife leave her medical until just before we go, or will she need to have it before the visa is granted? Also, what would we need to do with the new child, will he/she automatically get residency, even if born in the UK?

I believe that you have to go within a year of your medical. Before you get your visa, you could get a new medical and get it based on that one instead - that would push it out for another year at least. You would then have to go and validate your visa in Oz (eg, quick holiday) and you could then come back to the UK for up to 5 years I believe.

Not sure on how the residency works with your new baby but I'm sure it would be fairly simple to add him/her to your existing visa (I imagine new babies happen all the time during people's applications).

Hope that is of some help.... best of luck with the family.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon to travel to Oz after residency accepted

Originally Posted by littlehobo75
Hi,

Your wife will definitely have to have a medical before the visa is granted. If the baby is born before the grant then he/she can also be added to the application.
Otherwise you sponsor the baby for a child's visa if he/she is born after yours is granted. So assuming that your wife has the medical AFTER the birth, and you add the child to the application. You will then ALL need to validate before the first medical (yours) expires - unless you redo yours hen your wife does hers.
This is all assuming that you haven't done police checks yet - if the date on those is earlier than the meds then that date will be used instead, thus givng you only 12 months from THAT date in which to validate.