British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   How many points for my Australian degree? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/how-many-points-my-australian-degree-698841/)

Watt Dabney Jan 2nd 2011 12:49 am

How many points for my Australian degree?

Hi

This is prob one for an agent, I am trying to work out how many points my Australian nursing degree is worth?

Its an undergraduate degree from a Qld uni, 3 yrs of study Bachelor of Nursing with distinction.

The immigration site state for 15 points i need

You have met the requirements for award of an undergraduate degree with honours (second class (division 1) level or above) by an Australian educational institution as a result of course study:

* of at least three years
* undertaken while you were present in Australia.

Its the honour bit which is confusing me as on the immigration site they distinguish between an honors degree and an undergaduate degree with honours.

Mine is an undergraduate degree with distinction is this the sane as undergraduate with honours???

HELP!!! I could really do with the the 15 points this provides otherwise i only get 5.

Thans in advance
Paula

Bermudashorts Jan 2nd 2011 1:48 am

Re: How many points for my Australian degree?

If you want an agent to reply then you need to book and pay for an appointment with one. ;)

I am not an agent. Are you looking at the new points test? You know it doesn't come in until July?

TonyTr Jan 2nd 2011 2:44 am

Re: How many points for my Australian degree?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 9071628)
If you want an agent to reply then you need to book and pay for an appointment with one. ;)

I am not an agent. Are you looking at the new points test? You know it doesn't come in until July?

I think you may need further clarification, but my understanding is that an Aussie honour degree usually takes 4 years, with one major thesis. See below the assessment guide of H1 degree from Monash Uni.

---------------
Applicants who do not have a H1 degree can be nominated for H1 equivalence by their faculty or prospective faculty. These will then be considered on a case-by-case basis by a University-wide H1 equivalence panel. Click here to download the H1 equivalence application form. Also refer to the Additional guidelines pertaining to application for H1 equivalence.
Determination of H1 Equivalence
• Standard documentation must be completed for all prospective ranked applicants for whom an H1 equivalent status is being sought by faculties. This task is to be undertaken by the Departments for initial transmission to the relevant Faculty;
• This would include all prospective ranked applicants holding as their highest qualification an H2A Honours Degree, ungraded Masters Prelim, Coursework Masters, ungraded Research Masters, graded masters (research component less than 66%), Graduate Diploma, overseas (excluding New Zealand) or other non standard H1 Bachelors qualifications;
• Graduates from selected overseas institutions may be eligible for automatic H1 equivalence
• A series of H1 Equivalence Panels will meet between 17 and 25 November 2004 for this purpose;
• Applicants already granted H1 equivalence status by an H1 Equivalence Panel, need not be reassessed for H1 equivalence for their selection round.
Where H1 equivalence submissions are made for students whose first language is not English, FULL DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (in accordance with established University guidelines) MUST accompany the H1 Equivalence submission.
Honours 1 Equivalence Assessment is not required for the following qualifications:
• an Australian or New Zealand four year honours 1 bachelors degree
• an Australian or New Zealand Research Masters degree (66-100% research component ) formally graded at Honours 1
• an Australian or New Zealand Masters Preliminary qualification, formally graded at Honours 1
• a FRACP (Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
The following Monash qualifications have been approved for automatic H1 equivalence:
• Postgraduate Diploma in Commerce at Honours 1 level
• Postgraduate Diploma in Economics at Honours 1 level
• Master of Information Technology (Minor Thesis) at Honours 1 level
• Master of Philosophy (Preliminary) at Honours 1 level

Honours Grades and Assessment Guide (Australian Universities)
The comments that follow are general guides used by markers in assessing the research paper/manuscript. Assessment of degree divisions is multi-dimensional and excellence in one direction can compensate for poor performance in another. The term to "originality" in the descriptors below this refers to new insights into an already established area.
H1 (80-100)
Outstanding command of expression and logical argument in a skillfully structured manuscript
Superior evaluation and integration of existing literature
Evidence of significant insight and original thought in dealing with the critical issues
Sophisticated understanding of research methods, with evidence of careful attention to critical design issues in the execution of the project
Thoughtful and appropriate choice of data analysis and outstanding presentation and reporting of results
Clear and coherent interpretation of the project's data, and/or the results of other studies
Comprehensive understanding of the importance of the results in the context of the theoretical framework
An Upper H1 (90 - 100) student has strengths in all of the above areas. A Lower H1 (80 - 90) student displays many of the above strengths but is less well balanced in overall quality.
Overall: an H1 student (upper or lower) is obviously capable of undertaking postgraduate research and warrants strong scholarship support.
H2A (70-79)
the manuscript is well written, logically argued and generally well structured
the evaluation and integration of the existing literature is very sound without being outstanding
reasonable insight and some evidence of original thought in dealing with the critical issues
evidence of a solid understanding of research methods
adequate design of the research project, although possibly containing minor but retrievable errors
choice of data analysis that is appropriate for the design (although less well justified than might be expected of H1 standard), and clear presentation of results
generally sound but pedestrian interpretation of results and their importance to the theoretical context
Overall: an H2A student is capable of undertaking postgraduate research.
H2B (60-69)
generally competently written, although some problems exist in the logical organisation of the text and the way it is expressed
provides an adequate coverage of the literature, although it tends to be more descriptive than evaluative, and arguments are often disjointed
occasional evidence of insight into the issues underlying the manuscript or essay, but little evidence of original thinking
basic but somewhat limited understanding of the research methods
the design of the research project is generally adequate but is marred by errors and oversights
serviceable choice of data analysis, although other approaches may have been more appropriate
the presentation of results lacks clarity
interpretation of results or other studies is adequate but limited
Overall: an H2B student may be capable of undertaking postgraduate research but would require close supervision.
H3 (50-59)
the work is not well written and shows flaws in the structuring of logical arguments
coverage of the necessary literature is weak, with insufficient information provided to support the arguments made, or conclusions drawn, within the manuscript or essay
little evidence of insight and ideas tend to be highly derivative
knowledge of research methods is deficient
serious flaws exist in the design of the research project making it difficult for the research to meet its aims
data analysis techniques are arbitrary or inappropriate
the results are poorly presented
interpretations are superficial, demonstrating a weak understanding of the results and their relevance to the theoretical framework
Overall: Although a student’s undergraduate performance merited eligibility for honours, the student showed considerable difficulty in mastering the higher-order skills required at honours level and would not be able to undertake postgraduate research.