British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   how long does the visa process take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/how-long-does-visa-process-take-582526/)

john82 Jan 7th 2009 8:03 pm

how long does the visa process take?

Hi, First post so sorry if its alot of questions, very appreciate any advice.

First off im a plasterer of 10 years but with no paperwork. I am looking to take the silver trowel assessment before applying for a perminant visa, however I have been quoted £6500-£7000 with an agent, is this process fairly quick and are the pass rates fairly high.

We are researching the Goldcoast and feel through our own research this could be the best area to raise our young family, Is this correct, amybe someone has moved over recently and could shed a little light for us.

I know most members ask if their is much work..........but is their in the goldcoast for plasterers and what salary?

We want to be within easy access of Brisbane airport for coming home, but without being in a busy city, so we automatically thought of the goldcoast but maybe you know of somewhere which would offer more work or cheaper rent ect ect within an hour or two of Brisbane.

Thanks for any help in advance.

John

CDM Jan 7th 2009 9:15 pm

Re: how long does the visa process take?

Originally Posted by john82 (Post 7138318)
Hi, First post so sorry if its alot of questions, very appreciate any advice.

First off im a plasterer of 10 years but with no paperwork. I am looking to take the silver trowel assessment before applying for a perminant visa, however I have been quoted £6500-£7000 with an agent, is this process fairly quick and are the pass rates fairly high.

We are researching the Goldcoast and feel through our own research this could be the best area to raise our young family, Is this correct, amybe someone has moved over recently and could shed a little light for us.

I know most members ask if their is much work..........but is their in the goldcoast for plasterers and what salary?

We want to be within easy access of Brisbane airport for coming home, but without being in a busy city, so we automatically thought of the goldcoast but maybe you know of somewhere which would offer more work or cheaper rent ect ect within an hour or two of Brisbane.

Thanks for any help in advance.

John

Just curious, what exactly is the £6,500 - £7,000 for? Is it for the the combination of your assessment as well as the visa itself or is it just for the visa? That sounds like quite a bit over the odds if it's just for the visa.

What type of visa are you going to be applying for?

- CDM

kevncarlz Jan 7th 2009 9:45 pm

Agree with you there £6-£7k does sound alot, from start to finish ours totalled just short of £4k, we used visabureau.com :thumbup:

Kev

CDM Jan 7th 2009 9:54 pm

You might also consider NOT using a migration agent. This will save tons of money.

I personally don't believe it's worth the money unless there are extenuating circumstances or unless your particular situation is very complex, in which case the money can be very well spent.

Lots of people here, myself included, have applied on their own so it's certainly doable.

For the majority of people, I would suggest that all the information you need can be found here and by doing a little bit of leg work such as asking things of people here on this forum.

- CDM

kevncarlz Jan 7th 2009 11:02 pm

We found the forum too late :curse: had already lodged visa app so only thing left to do was wait for CO to request meds and pcc's. think we would have still used an agent though just for our own piece of mind knowing for sure everything was ok, and because we were told right from the start how much it was going to cost it made us think long and hard about whether it was going to be the right thing to do. If you feel confident enough to go it alone then go for it, i just knew i would get half way through get stuck then give up on it all together :p

Kev