Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How long can a parent stay on a visitor visa from the UK & how many times per year?

How long can a parent stay on a visitor visa from the UK & how many times per year?

Old May 30th 2017, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Flossyhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How long can a parent stay on a visitor visa from the UK & how many times per year?

My mother in law has been visiting us in Australia as a UK citizen from the UK (we are Australian citizens) every 6 months for 1 month at a time, however my father in law has now died & she would like to stay for longer periods, not to live, but to visit for 3-6 months. Can she do this & how long does she have to leave Australia for between visits? Thanks
Old May 30th 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long can a parent stay on a visitor visa from the UK & how many times per yea

As far as I am aware she can stay for up to 6 months and only has to leave Australia for a day to start the 6 months over again.
Old May 30th 2017, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Flossyhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long can a parent stay on a visitor visa from the UK & how many times per yea

Thanks Steven,
ok so on an E-visa.Is there a limit how often she can do this? It doesn't state on the immigration website.Her plan is approx 3-6 months in Oz & 6-9 months in the UK each year.
Also can she go on a cruise to do the visa run if required? I think it would need to be outside Australian waters, eg Fiji.
Old May 30th 2017, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

My in-laws have been over for 6 months and whilst here flown to NZ for a few weeks to see family. I am no expert but I assume that there wouldn't be any problem. But as I say, I am no expert
Old May 30th 2017, 9:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossyhall
Thanks Steven,
ok so on an E-visa.Is there a limit how often she can do this? It doesn't state on the immigration website.Her plan is approx 3-6 months in Oz & 6-9 months in the UK each year.
Also can she go on a cruise to do the visa run if required? I think it would need to be outside Australian waters, eg Fiji.
That sounds fine. 3 to 6 months a year is not trying to live here and a cruise should be ok. However bear in mind that as a non citizen there will always be the chance of her not being admitted. Only citizens have the right to be - visitors can always be turned away if the border guards think she's trying to live in Australia without the correct visa.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about using a cruise to re-set the visa. According to the immi website the time spent on a round trip cruise, if it's under 30 days (even if visiting other islands) is classed as still being in Australia for the purpose of a visa. It doesn't state a specific visa so it may be all of them.

Could be worth checking direct with immigration on that point x
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Not sure about using a cruise to re-set the visa. According to the immi website the time spent on a round trip cruise, if it's under 30 days (even if visiting other islands) is classed as still being in Australia for the purpose of a visa. It doesn't state a specific visa so it may be all of them.

Could be worth checking direct with immigration on that point x

Agreed that a short term cruise that leaves from Australia usually doesn't cause the visa holder to depart Australia.

The need will be to depart Australia from an airport.

Best regards.