How hard is the citizenship test?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How hard is the citizenship test?

Originally Posted by obener
The test was great. The lady said I was the only one who got 100% Didn't take me more than a couple of minutes. It is important you take your time and actually understand it all when studying the resource book. If you do understand it, then the questions being asked will be very easy whatever way they ask it. The lady did state it will take 2-3 weeks till I get the letter from immigration then another 3-4 weeks till the ceremony is held at the council. Just checked my online application and it states: "Applicant approved - ready for citizenship ceremony. Please await letter from Department."
Congratulations - we took our tests in October and became citizens on 23rd November so the wait isn't too long - well done (ps we both got 100% too - easy peasy) lol
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:14 am
Just Joined

berowra4me is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats....I think its great that we have to know a bit about the country and its culture, history and political system before becoming a citizen - So did they ask...

Qns: When filling the Esky with beer do you:
a] Put the ice in first
b] put the beer in first
c] your a pom, no ice required

Qns: when cooking snags on the barbie do you:
a] turn as often as required
b] turn between stubbies
c] its not a blokes place to cook on the barbie

Qns: what is suitable footwear for the beach is it:
a] Flip flops
b] Thongs
c] Sandles

Qns: before eating a pie do you place the source:
a] in the centre of the pie
b] on top of the pie
c] beside the pie on a plate

Qns: when greeted "g'day how are ya" do you respond
a] I'm good howz youz doin
b] I'm fine good weather we're having
c] walk straight passed wondering why a perfect stranger would say hello to you
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:55 am
Just Joined

obener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really niceobener is just really nice

Got my letter yesterday. wooohooooo. Called the council today and they said if I dont hear anything within 4 weeks to give them a call. Wow not much left till the ceremony now, so happy
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Originally Posted by obener
The test was great. The lady said I was the only one who got 100% ...
Wow obener well done on getting 100% marks! Can you please share your timline as to when you completed your 4 years and how soon they called you for an appointment for the citizenship test.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live2learn
Wow obener well done on getting 100% marks! Can you please share your timline as to when you completed your 4 years and how soon they called you for an appointment for the citizenship test.
I don't think they call you, you have to apply to do it don't you?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I don't think they call you, you have to apply to do it don't you?
yes you are right, we are required to apply either online or thru paper.

I would like to know roughly how long do they take to get back to us saying to come for the citizenship test?

I know it also varies from individual to individual so whats the average processing time-frame from the time we lodge the citizenship application?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They won't call you. Its up to you to decide when and if you want to apply once you are eligible. You then apply for it and they will let you know when your test appointment it.
If you don't apply no-one will chase you up.

www.citizenship.gov.au
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:22 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

yes you are right, we are required to apply either online or thru paper.

I would like to know roughly how long do they take to get back to us saying to come for the citizenship test?

I know it also varies from individual to individual so whats the average processing time-frame from the time we lodge the citizenship application?
Here are the service standards for citizenship applications.

"Before Your Citizenship Test/Interview:
You can expect us to:
xxx
provide you with a letter within 10 working days of application lodgement which contains your citizenship test or interview appointment details, a reference number and contact details for our Citizenship Information Line."
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charter...ndards/2.5.htm

"We aim to process 80 per cent of citizenship applications within these service standards, however actual processing times may vary from these standards.
xxx
Australian Citizenship ... 60 calendar days of lodgement"
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charter...ndards/2.7.htm
Whether DIAC meets the standards is another matter.

"Usually ceremonies are arranged by your local council within three months of your application being approved."
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ceremo...ing_ceremony/#

However based on the experience of many BE posters it can take from 3 to 9 months after approval to get a ceremony.

Last edited by commonwealth; Feb 2nd 2013 at 1:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They won't call you. Its up to you to decide when and if you want to apply once you are eligible. You then apply for it and they will let you know when your test appointment it.
If you don't apply no-one will chase you up.

www.citizenship.gov.au
Thank you Pollyana for a quick reply. I have couple of quick questions:

1 - Lets say I become eligible and decide to apply & submit my Citizenship application in Dec 2013 to DIAC, how soon can we expect to hear from them.

2 - When I sit for the Citizenship test, how long does it take for the test results to come out.

3 - And assuming I pass the Citizenship test when do we get called for the grand Citizenship Ceremony, 1 month or 2 months after the citizenship test?

4 - Finally the last question, once I have my citizenship certificate, I'd then apply for my australian passport the same day at DIAC's office, how long (average) do they take to send my passport to my mailbox.

Please reply and thanks heaps!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

please see above post for citizenship service standards.

you dont apply for aust passport at DIAC office. DFAT is responsible for this.

"Issuing passports

Our commitment is to issue a passport within 10 working days of a complete application being received by a passport office, whether in Australia or overseas." https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/ServiceCharter.aspx

there is a priority passport processing fee if you need it earlier.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice

Thank you Pollyana for a quick reply. I have couple of quick questions:

1 - Lets say I become eligible and decide to apply & submit my Citizenship application in Dec 2013 to DIAC, how soon can we expect to hear from them.

2 - When I sit for the Citizenship test, how long does it take for the test results to come out.

3 - And assuming I pass the Citizenship test when do we get called for the grand Citizenship Ceremony, 1 month or 2 months after the citizenship test?

4 - Finally the last question, once I have my citizenship certificate, I'd then apply for my australian passport the same day at DIAC's office, how long (average) do they take to send my passport to my mailbox.

Please reply and thanks heaps!
Hi live2learn,

When you take the citizenship test, you get the result once you finish the test. They have someone there who gives you an official printout with your results.

I did my test a while before I applied for citizenship and just had to give the certificate number when applying.

All the best,

Hawkwind
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice

I took my test in October and still waiting for a ceremony date....