Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How does the Visa work if only I go out to Oz?

How does the Visa work if only I go out to Oz?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

springonion will become famous soon enoughspringonion will become famous soon enough
Default How does the Visa work if only I go out to Oz?

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here but like everyone out there, life has changed so much over the last 12 months.

I have got my Visa and we all went out to Perth in April 2009 to both get it validated and check out what to do etc. I know its a bit weird to do it this way round but we had to do it this way.

It now looks like I'll need to go out there now by myself and leave the family here in the UK. How does that work with the visa? By that I mean I know I have to acrue 12 months of time in Australia in order to either renew it easily or get residency. If I do that but the rest of my family aren't with me does that mean they can't eventually come out with me?

I've got the 175 visa based on my skills etc. The wife and 2 kids are on that.

Anyone got any ideas as it'll affect what I need to do.

Thanks everyone

Nick
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does the Visa work if only I go out to Oz?

Your PR visa lasts for five years and you can come and go as you please without a residents return visa during that time. It is adviseable to try and accrue two years in Australia to have a straightforward application for RRV when the time comes. You didn't mention when the visa expires, but presume you are not going to be apart from family for five years and they will come over before it expires anyway. As such and as you have all validated, I don't see the issue. Apologies if I made too many assumptions.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does the Visa work if only I go out to Oz?

Originally Posted by springonion
Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here but like everyone out there, life has changed so much over the last 12 months.

I have got my Visa and we all went out to Perth in April 2009 to both get it validated and check out what to do etc. I know its a bit weird to do it this way round but we had to do it this way.

It now looks like I'll need to go out there now by myself and leave the family here in the UK. How does that work with the visa? By that I mean I know I have to acrue 12 months of time in Australia in order to either renew it easily or get residency. If I do that but the rest of my family aren't with me does that mean they can't eventually come out with me?

I've got the 175 visa based on my skills etc. The wife and 2 kids are on that.

Anyone got any ideas as it'll affect what I need to do.

Thanks everyone

Nick
Once your visa has been validated you can come and go as you please either with your family or independent of them. They can do the same, since they all have PR in their own right now. There will be a date on your visa (probably November 2013) that it expires by. You will either need to be in Australia or have a return resident visa or citizenship by then or your visa will expire. Same goes for everyone on the visa application.