Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How does a Kiwi become a permanent resident in Aussie ?

How does a Kiwi become a permanent resident in Aussie ?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry How does a Kiwi become a permanent resident in Aussie ?

Can someone please enlighten me on a this:

What steps do I take to become a permanent resident in Australia?

I am a New Zealand citizen in the process of moving my family to Brisbane.

I know there is a 2 year waiting period before you can apply for Australian citizenship, but you have to be a permanent resident before you apply. Is there a waiting period for permanent residency for New Zealanders???

After viewing the Australian immigration web site www.immi.gov.au I am even more confused ????

Can anyone give me answer in laymen’s terms please.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:24 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does a Kiwi become a permanent resident in Aussie ?

Not sure if you've seen this page:
http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/17nz.htm

It may help?

Peter

Originally posted by ex kiwi:
What steps do I take to become a permanent resident in Australia?
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter.

But thats the bit that confussed me !!

Does a holder of a SCV automatically become a Permenant Resident??

I guess what I'm trying to work out is how long it would take before we can apply to be Australian Citizens.

The sooner I can burn my New Zealand Passport the better!!
Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:47 am
Jaj

>On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 01:49:28 +0000, ex kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can someone please enlighten me on a this:
    >What steps do I take to become a permanent resident in Australia?

Since February 2001, you need to apply for and be granted PR in Australia under the
same criteria as other migrants, unless you meet one of the exemptions allowing NZ
citizens living in Australia in 2001 to be treated as permanent residents. Have you
ever lived in Australia before?

As a New Zealand citizen you can still live freely in Australia and work or study
there, but you cannot:
- access certain welfare benefits
- sponsor family members for permanent residence
- get Australian citizenship

>I am a New Zealand citizen in the process of moving my family to Brisbane.

Are they NZ citizens too?

If not, they will only be eligible for restricted 5 year subclass 461 visas, which
are not a good basis to build a long term future in Australia. If you were to die,
your spouse could eventually lose rights in Australia, and have no rights at all in
NZ. Same applies to your children when they grow up.

If your family are not NZ citizens, then you should seriously consider moving to New
Zealand instead. Atfer 2 years they will be able to get NZ citizenship, and then
they can live in Australia for a while - holding NZ citizen visas in their own right
- rather than relying on you long term for their Aus residency rights. They would
also have the lifetime right to return to New Zealand.

>I know there is a 2 year waiting period before you can apply for Australian
    >citizenship, but you have to be a permanent resident before you apply.

New Zealanders arriving in Australia now cannot qualify for Australian citizenship at
all, unless they apply for and get permanent residence.

> Is there a waiting period for permanent residency for New Zealanders???

See above.

>After viewing the Australian immigration web site
    >www.immi.gov.au I am even more confused ????
    >Can anyone give me answer in laymen’s terms please.

Have a look at: http://australia-
nz.topcities.com/nzinaus.htm

Jeremy

Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:40 pm
Jaj

>On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:34:24 +0000, ex kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks Peter.
    >But thats the bit that confussed me !!
    >Does a holder of a SCV automatically become a Permenant Resident??

No. Have you seen my other reply on the subject?

>I guess what I'm trying to work out is how long it would take before we can apply to
    >be Australian Citizens.

You should be checking whether you qualify for Australian PR on the same basis as
other migrants.

Jeremy

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ex kiwi:
The sooner I can burn my New Zealand Passport the better!!
Why so keen to get out of NZ? just curious. I know the place is not perfect and I have my own reasons for disillusionment...
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: How does a Kiwi become a permanent resident in Aussie ?

Originally posted by lmaynard:

Why so keen to get out of NZ? just curious. I know the place is not perfect and I have my own reasons for disillusionment...
I’ve wanted to leave NZ for a couple of years now. The only reason we have stayed is my wife likes being close to her family. (not a good enough reason for me). Finally after chipping away at her she has decided it’s a good idea to move.

Basically our main reason would be for our children. We want a better life for them. We feel the basic needs (Health, Education & Police) are all slipping badly into 3rd world standards. I can imagine in 10 years time these will be non-existent.

There was a case last week of a boy who broke his collar bone, who waited at Auckland Hospital for 6 days before he got treatment. (In a private hospital!! At his cost)

There large areas in Auckland where you would not to go to after dark.

Where I live (Howick) there is only one good state school. With zoning we would need to buy a half million dollar 3 bedroom house in the area, just so our kids can go there.

We believe that all above are a direct result of the Treaty of Waitangi. Billions of tax payer dollars are handed out to the Maori’s for supposed injustices, while the basic services a starved of money.

This gravy train will never stop. It will only get bigger until New Zealand is a poor little Pacific island like its neighbours Fiji & Samoa.

@ 32 its not to late for the change.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 11:04 am
Jaj

Presuming you and all your family as NZ citizens, and you haven't lived in Australia
previously, the deal now is:

1. You will be given Subclass 444 visas in your NZ passports on arrival in
Australia, as long as you don't have criminal convictions or contagious
diseases

2. With this visa, you can live, work and study in Australia without restriction.

3. However, you will not be able to access some welfare benefits, sponsor non-NZ
citizen family members for permanent residence, or apply for Australian
citizenship, unless you first become a permanent resident yourself.

4. The criteria for NZ citizens to become permanent residents are the same as for
any other migrants, except that:
a. you can apply for permanent residence onshore
b. if you have a skilled occupation, after 6 months working in Australia you will be
able to claim 5 extra points for the points test.
c. if you find an Australian employer who likes you, maybe you could persuade him to
sponsor you for permanent residence via Employer Nomination

5. If you get permanent residence, you will be able to apply for Australian
citizenship after 2 further years living in Australia.

6. If you don't have permanent residence, any children born to you in Australia will
not be Australian citizens automatically. You could register them as Australian
if they did not acquire NZ citizenship, or if they lived in Australia for the
first 10 years of their life they would acquire Australian citizenship on their
10th birthday.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:56:35 +0000, ex kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by lmaynard:
    >> Why so keen to get out of NZ? just curious. I know the place is not perfect and I
    >> have my own reasons for disillusionment...
    >I’ve wanted to leave NZ for a couple of years now. The only reason we have stayed
    >is my wife likes being close to her family. (not a good enough reason for me).
    >Finally after chipping away at her she has decided it’s a good idea to move.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> This gravy train will never stop. It will only get bigger until New Zealand is a poor little Pacific
> island like its neighbours Fiji & Samoa.

No doubt, a certain Helen will be taking some credit for these?

> @ 32 its not to late for the change.

No, certainly not too late. In Aussie terms, 46 would be too late, though

I guess it's one thing to sit on your butt and whine away. It's quite another to do something about it. More often than not, people are caught out in the cold when they finally get down to wanting to do something about it, only to find out that their points have been more or less been decreasing exponentially over the years of inaction.

Ironically, you said that you have been toying with the idea of emmigrating from NZ. If you had done so before the implementation of the load of changes affecting NZ citizens wishing to be permanent residents in Australia, you'd be on the other side of the fence by now

Cheers,
Peter
Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Ironically, you said that you have been toying with the idea of emmigrating from NZ. If you had done so before the implementation of the load of changes affecting NZ citizens wishing to be permanent residents in Australia, you'd be on the other side of the fence by now

Cheers,
Peter [/QUOTE]

Pete,

I know chap. It breaks my heart. But marrige is about compromise. I'm just happy she has decided to go!!

I can see why the Aussies have changed the rules. NZ was a back door for immigrants trying to get to Austraila.

cheers,
ex kiwi
Old Aug 24th 2002, 5:35 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

> I know chap. It breaks my heart. But marrige is about compromise.
> I'm just happy she has decided to go!!

Ah yes, so long as "giving in" doesn't lead to "giving up"

> I can see why the Aussies have changed the rules. NZ was a back door for immigrants
> trying to get to Austraila.

I would think the Australian government was closing the 'loophole' of migrant New Zealanders (NZ citizens who were themselves migrants) going to Australia as PRs. However, I suppose so-called natural justice doesn't discriminate against NZ-born New Zealanders from migrant, foreign born New Zealanders. So, a Kiwi will be a Kiwi, no matter if one is born a non-Kiwi.

It's not too late, go get it, before you lose yet a few more points when you turn 35!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Aug 25th 2002, 4:03 am
Jaj

Peter The way the NZ citizen changes were implemented was rather ham-fisted. If the
sole objective had been to stop backdoor migration, the rule could have been changed
simply to insist that someone held NZ citizenship for a period - say 5 years - before
acquiring any rights to move to Australia.

There is a certain inequity in having people living and working in the country
indefinitely, paying the same taxes as any other Australian, and yet being denied
welfare benefits and citizenship. Sooner or later - although a good few years down
the line - there are going to be 'hard cases' affected by the law.

The problem could be fixed by allowing someone from NZ to acquire permanent residence
after 5 years or so living in Australia on temporary (subclass 444) status.

As for the original poster he can still go to Australia and live there on the
Subclass 444 visa. If he wants PR, it's probably best to apply for it onshore, and
if he needs 5 extra points he can get this if he works for 6 months in a skilled
occupation in Australia and then applies.

Jeremy

>> I can see why the Aussies have changed the rules. NZ was a back door for
    >> immigrants trying to get to Austraila.
    >I would think the Australian government was closing the 'loophole' of migrant New
    >Zealanders (NZ citizens who were themselves migrants) going to Australia as PRs.
    >However, I suppose so-called natural justice doesn't discriminate against NZ-born
    >New Zealanders from migrant, foreign born New Zealanders. So, a Kiwi will be a Kiwi,
    >no matter if one is born a non-Kiwi.
    >It's not too late, go get it, before you lose yet a few more points when you turn
    >35!
    >Cheers, Peter
    >--
    >Visited http://www.austimeline.com/ yet?
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com