Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How can I move to Australia without skills on SOL?

How can I move to Australia without skills on SOL?

Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

LarsGoodall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How can I move to Australia without skills on SOL?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is a massive mistake to do an EOI before having a positive skills assessment in hand. This would lead to a visa refusal and several thousand pounds down the drain in the end purely on that technicality. So this must lapse, but by sounds of things you are in no position to apply just yet anyway. But do not do another EOI before you have all your ducks lined up, are sure you qualify for a visa and have points and skills assessment in place.

As somebody has mentioned, no employer is going to go looking for EOIs in order to fill roles. Whilst the immigration system talks about occupations in demand, this is a very long term view and truly there are very few shortages.

It sounds like health and safety might be your best bet, it is assessed by Vetassess so you should look to see what they say about qualifications. If vetassess says that a degree is required there is absolutely no way around that. Do you have a degree at all, even in a non relevant occupation? Often with vetassess a non relevant degree with extra work experience can substitute for a degree in a relevant subject.

I suspect you might need to do a few years in the UK before Australia becomes within reach.
I have filled out the EOI form honestly, and one question is 'have you had a skills assessment' to which I answered 'no'. It got flagged up on the last 'submit' page, but said I could request an 'exception'. I did this and the EOI went through.

I admit I have alot to learn here, hence my original post.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

LarsGoodall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
You need to have a sponsor in place before lodging a 186. It's not a system where you put your name in and hope to be picked up.

Teza is correct that you need a skills assessment and English test in hand before you lodge an EOI.

Have you really looked at the requirements set by the skills assessing authority? Some occupations will give you credit for on the job training and experience, maybe H&S is one of them.

With respect it reads as though you are blindly rushing and clicking randomly on links hoping you will get somewhere.

Finally, have you looked at applying to the Australian military? There have been posters in the past that have moved from the UK military to Aus that way. Australian Army Overseas and International Applicants - Defence Jobs Australia

Good luck.
Already done this back in Sept 2015. Not heard anything back. It's a buyers market, the Australian military can only accept a small number of overseas 'transfers' per year. Those with the most quals and operational experience are selected - as you would expect. A friend of mine has recently been through this process.
I feel my only hope is one of two routes. Gaining experience in Health and Safety or Construction Project Management (both on SOL), and hope that experience will counter my lack of academic qualifications. If I can get sponsored, that would be great.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LarsGoodall
I have filled out the EOI form honestly, and one question is 'have you had a skills assessment' to which I answered 'no'. It got flagged up on the last 'submit' page, but said I could request an 'exception'. I did this and the EOI went through.

I admit I have alot to learn here, hence my original post.
Just let it lapse. Nothing is going to happen with it anyway as you only selected employer sponsored visa but you don't have an employer sponsor.

But please trust me. Even down the line, do not even think about lodging another EOI without a skills assessment. I can give you a 100pc guarantee that this will lead to visa refusal and loss of application fee.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LarsGoodall
Already done this back in Sept 2015. Not heard anything back. It's a buyers market, the Australian military can only accept a small number of overseas 'transfers' per year. Those with the most quals and operational experience are selected - as you would expect. A friend of mine has recently been through this process.
I feel my only hope is one of two routes. Gaining experience in Health and Safety or Construction Project Management (both on SOL), and hope that experience will counter my lack of academic qualifications. If I can get sponsored, that would be great.
If your skills assessing body stipulates that a degre is required, as I believe vetassess does, then there is NO way around this for a skilled migrant visa.

But you might qualify for a temporary work visa and then down the line you might be able to turn that into a permanent employer sponsored visa with a willing employer. I don't think it will be possible with project manager though, I think that is one of a number of occupations that needs skills assessment even for the temporary employer sponsored visas.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

First thing, doing an eoi without a valid skills assessment is pointless and a potentially expensive mistake as they may make an invitation to apply. Which if you did and paid the money, they will then promptly refuse your visa and keep the money - thousands down the drain.

You will need to get a valid positive skills assessment to lodge an eoi. If your assessing body requires a degree, it may be overkill, but that is the requirement. They will also stipulate what experience you may have. If you don't meet the requirements you will not get a positive result and can not apply for a visa.

Sponsorship does often not require a skills assessment. However, there are a number of other issues. First, sponsorship is usually only a 457 visa which is only a temporary visa with no automatic path to anything else. It also has a number of issues such as if you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor - not every company can. There are other issues as well such as many states charge temporary visa holders thousands in school fees.

The bigger issue though with obtaining sponsorship is the practical side. At the moment, due to the resources downturn there are loads of hse qualified and experienced Australians looking for work. For example, I am a manger at a well known major mine in WA. We recruited a HSE about 6 months ago. We had hundreds of applicants who were all unemployed. Since then, we have made the candidate we hired, along with the three others we had all redundant. So, you have to be realistic. Why would an employer hire you with limited experience, limited qualifications (most hse guys here have a minimum of a degree and many post grad quals), with no experience of Australian legislation and then have to pay thousands for the privilege and then have to sit back and wait potentially months while a visa is processed. When instead I can just hire a local.

I think your best option is to speak to a good registered migration agent to come up with a plan.