HOW CAN I GET 5 MORE POINTS??!!

Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:57 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: HOW CAN I GET 5 MORE POINTS??!!

Just want to add to what Dorothy just said. I'm a native Brit and did the IELTS test to get the additional 10 points.

I wouldn't say there's a lot of sense to studying beforehand since, well, you really won't know what to study for and, after all, you are being tested on English which you either know or don't know. If you don't know English, then a quick brush up ahead of the test isn't going to do any good at all.

The test is NOT a walkover! For native Brits that have been born and bread in English, there shouldn't be any problems but it can still be a challenge.

When I took my test, I 'accidentally' took the harder 'academic' test instead of the easier 'general training' test (the later is the one that you need to sit). I got 7.5 (listening), 8.5 (reading), 8 (writing) & 9 (speaking). All categories are marked out of 9 and you need a minimum of 7 in each.

I made a serious mistake with the listening test - I didn't ... listen. What happened was that I mistakenly thought I'd answered all the questions in the 2nd of the 4 sections and then put my pencil down. By the time it dawned on me (I suddenly realised that the audio was still playing and everyone else in the room was still writing), the audio conversation finished and I found myself frantically trying to remember what had been said to finish off another 5 questions that I didn't realise I still had to answer. I had to guess for 2 or 3 answers. The moral of the story? Pay very close attention!

- CDM
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

I was looking on line one Sunday morning for some examples of the test for my OH to try.

I'm pleased I did, as he was at least prepared for the 'style' of the exam. It's been about 20+ years since his last exam, so this gave him a little confidence.

This information leaflet from Sunderland College was quite useful.
I'm sure there will be loads of other help in the area you live!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road

Great - thanks for the advice everybody. I'll get it booked.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:53 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by middi View Post
I was looking on line one Sunday morning for some examples of the test for my OH to try.

I'm pleased I did, as he was at least prepared for the 'style' of the exam. It's been about 20+ years since his last exam, so this gave him a little confidence.

I wish I'd found this resource when I was boking myself in for the test. Looks really good!

- CDM
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

lucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nice

I was just going to reiterate what other peeps have said. The IELTS isn't a walk in the park. I am born and bred English and have an English degree and i still found it challenging. I think it _IS_ a good idea to revise. I did and found that knowing the marking scheme and the layout of the examinations and understanding what to expect made me feel more confident about what i was doing. For most, at least one of the catagories is difficult. Mine was the listening. I missed the answer to 1 question and it threw out the 4 remaining questions. If you take the exam seriously you will be fine!
Lucierainbow
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

lucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nicelucierainbow is just really nice

When I took my test, I 'accidentally' took the harder 'academic' test instead of the easier 'general training' test (the later is the one that you need to sit). I got 7.5 (listening), 8.5 (reading), 8 (writing) & 9 (speaking). All categories are marked out of 9 and you need a minimum of 7 in each.

I made a serious mistake with the listening test - I didn't ... listen. What happened was that I mistakenly thought I'd answered all the questions in the 2nd of the 4 sections and then put my pencil down. By the time it dawned on me (I suddenly realised that the audio was still playing and everyone else in the room was still writing), the audio conversation finished and I found myself frantically trying to remember what had been said to finish off another 5 questions that I didn't realise I still had to answer. I had to guess for 2 or 3 answers. The moral of the story? Pay very close attention!

- CDM[/QUOTE]

CDM i did exactly the same thing. Were the following questions on the next page? I wonder if we had the same exam? I only realised the exam hadn't finished like you when they'd continued to speak for too long after i thought it should have finished. Luckily i only missed one of the answers......I think there was another 4 on the next sheet. Scary!:curse:
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Don't be too cocky going into the test. It's not a cake walk for native english speakers. The best advice would be to study before doing the test and as others have said concentrate on what you're doing. You can get study materials from www.ielts.org
Agreed. The test is mainly aimed at non native speakers and is in no way designed to catch people out.

However, full attention is required in the listening parts as the questions move very quickly and it is easy to get lost off.

There are a few online practice tests which will give you a good idea of what is required on the day.

The most bizarre part was the one on one speaking test with an examiner which is then recorded and marked.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by middi View Post

Middi,

I did mine at Sunderland - the bloke who was organising/invigilating was a freakin nutter! I'm sure he had just been let out for the day.....
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lucierainbow View Post
I was just going to reiterate what other peeps have said. The IELTS isn't a walk in the park. I am born and bred English and have an English degree and i still found it challenging. I think it _IS_ a good idea to revise. I did and found that knowing the marking scheme and the layout of the examinations and understanding what to expect made me feel more confident about what i was doing. For most, at least one of the catagories is difficult. Mine was the listening. I missed the answer to 1 question and it threw out the 4 remaining questions. If you take the exam seriously you will be fine!
Lucierainbow
I'd say it would have been very useful to know what was going to happen on the day (the below link is very useful for this) but I still stand by my point that there's no real point in revising - if you are a native English speaker. How much are you going to improve your English after a bit of revision? You either know English or you don't at the end of the day but knowing what will happen will be useful as you say.

I don't think the questions I missed were on a different page but I do remember that some were on the top half of the page and the ones I forgot to pay attention to (simply missed the fact that they were there and a part of the section being listened to) were on the bottom half of the page.

- CDM