HOW CAN I GET 5 MORE POINTS??!!

Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road
Default HOW CAN I GET 5 MORE POINTS??!!

Hi,

Last year I decided to emigrate to AUS on a 175 skilled visa. I used to work as a metal fabricator but hadn't been involved in that industry for 5 years due a career change (sales) and time spent at university. I scored 115 points - I needed 120 to pass. I was told (by various immigartion agents) that I needed to return to my old trade for 12 months. This would give me enough points as you needed 12 months experience out of the last 48 months.

Now I've just spent the past year as a metal fabricator, purely to gain those extra points. I've just completed my application online and I still only earned 115 points!!! Have the rules changed?? It seems that I now need 36 months out of the past 48 - another 2 years!! I feel a bit shafted.

Could I gain more points by sitting a language test? I'm English so I'm fluent but could I do the test anyway just to get the additional points?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

John
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: HOW CAN I GET 5 MORE POINTS??!!

Yes John...just sit the IELTS!! Jobs-a-good-'un!!
Lisa,x
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your speedy response! This has ruined my Saturday night! How do I go about that? Have you done it? How many more points will it get me?

John
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jhonnywalker is an unknown quantity at this point

As you are English - you would get 15 points by default. If you score >=7 in each module of the IELTS, you would get 25 points - which would mean - your total points tally would be 125.

Also - have you checked if sponsorship works for you? I guess sponsorship would need only 100 points. You can go for a relative sponsorship / state sponsorship (provided your job is on their requirements list)

Good Luck!

Cheers!
JW
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You were probably advised to go back to your old trade because you need to have spent 12 of the last 24 months in a skilled occupation, even before you get as far as the points test.

The rules did change last September and lots of people lost points, sounds like you were one of them. However you will get 10 points if you pass the IELTS test at a high enough level.

Have a look on the DIMA site here - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../175/index.htm and look very closely at the bible, booklet 6 - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm.

Good luck.

Last edited by louie; Nov 15th 2008 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Made a boo boo :-(
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Great! Thanks very much for your help.

John
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

how long has the '15 points by default' been included? Not that I'm saying you're not right of course, they change the visa points so often I can't keep up!!
But when we applied (April '08) we needed 10 extra points and had to sit the IELTS for them. Also if you get 15 by default won't John have been advised this by whoever he spoke to? Maybe they've counted the 15points and he still needs another 10?
The 175 Visa allows you more freedom and benefits...so best if you can get 120 points really....unless you have a family member to sponsor you to apply on a 176. I would only go for a work sponsored visa if the 175 wasn't an option.
My husband sat the IELTS, so if you want any advice I'll be glad to help. It seems you have a good chance of getting the 120 points John, so enjoy your wknd and don't worry about it...where there's a will..and all that!!
We're from Blackburn so we'll be cheering on our Diana on X-Factor before maybe going out! ...........Lisa,x
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

She should get booted off! Perhaps I could get my 5 extra points by getting a sore throat!

Thanks for your help. I do get 15 points automatically but the test should give me more. I could get employer sponsorship but that means I would be tied to a contract for a set period (often 12 months) and there are lots of parts of AUS where I don't want to live.

Thanks again,

John
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JMC1678
She should get booted off! Perhaps I could get my 5 extra points by getting a sore throat!

I don't think I'm your friend anymore!!

Thanks for your help. I do get 15 points automatically but the test should give me more. I could get employer sponsorship but that means I would be tied to a contract for a set period (often 12 months) and there are lots of parts of AUS where I don't want to live.

Thanks again,

John
Some people have had problems with their employment sponsors pulling out and leaving them in the lurch!
The test is relatively easy, just have an early night before and make sure your concerntration button is switched to 'ON' before you go in!! Looks like that's the way to go!! And get it booked ASAP or you could be waiting a while for a place!!

VOTE DIANA VOTE DIANA VOTE DIANA!!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

A word for the wise

...The listening part of the IELTS test is worth paying attention to, as they don't repeat the information. Good luck with the Visa app!

My OH is a metal fabricator too & we fell short of the points after the changes last Sept, so he had to sit the test. His advice is just to concentrate when you're in the exam and keep talking when you get to the interview. They will shut you up if you go on too long!

Last edited by middi; Nov 15th 2008 at 5:41 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! How annoying huh!? I've spent the past year in a dreadful job purely to get 5 points - and now those 5 points haven't even got me anywhere!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

Thank you! How annoying huh!? I've spent the past year in a dreadful job purely to get 5 points - and now those 5 points haven't even got me anywhere!
It will count towards your work experience, so all is not completely lost.

Good luck & Chin up
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ha ha! Can you tell I'm spitting my dummy out? Ok - I'll get the test done. If I can't pass an English test I can't pass anything.

John
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snoo
Some people have had problems with their employment sponsors pulling out and leaving them in the lurch!
The test is relatively easy, just have an early night before and make sure your concerntration button is switched to 'ON' before you go in!! Looks like that's the way to go!! And get it booked ASAP or you could be waiting a while for a place!!

VOTE DIANA VOTE DIANA VOTE DIANA!!!!!
hey I just voted diana i think she is great so originaL and so different from the others.
I have had the same problem as you jmc i am also 5 points short and considering the IELTS or family sponsorship but not sure if I need to live in the part my family stay.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! Can you tell I'm spitting my dummy out? Ok - I'll get the test done. If I can't pass an English test I can't pass anything.

John
Don't be too cocky going into the test. It's not a cake walk for native english speakers. The best advice would be to study before doing the test and as others have said concentrate on what you're doing. You can get study materials from www.ielts.org

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.