Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move! Which visa help/advice would be much appreciated

Hoping to move! Which visa help/advice would be much appreciated

Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Domini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move! Which visa help/advice would be much appreciated

Hi, apologies if a common post but I couldn't find a similar circumstance on the forum.

A little background………
  • Mid 30’s
  • Highest qualification is A Level
  • My career is not on the SOL, CSOL list
  • Working in admin management for 6 years
  • In a de facto relationship (under 1 year) with an Australian citizen (hoping to move with her as her family member is sick)
  • Have a sibling who is an Australian permanent resident
Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move! Which visa help/advice would be much appreciated

Originally Posted by Domini
Hi, apologies if a common post but I couldn't find a similar circumstance on the forum.

A little background………
  • Mid 30’s
  • Highest qualification is A Level
  • My career is not on the SOL, CSOL list
  • Working in admin management for 6 years
  • In a de facto relationship (under 1 year) with an Australian citizen (hoping to move with her as her family member is sick)
  • Have a sibling who is an Australian permanent resident
Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hang on until you have been living together for 12 months then apply for a Spouse Visa as her de facto.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana.
The trouble is we have not been living together for long, say a couple of months (we just split our time between each other's place).
We have had a joint bank account for 6 months though which i presume will aid our case.

So there is no other way around it than just to wait?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:13 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana.
The trouble is we have not been living together for long, say a couple of months (we just split our time between each other's place).
We have had a joint bank account for 6 months though which i presume will aid our case.

So there is no other way around it than just to wait?
Well on the basis of what you've said, I think a Partner Visa is the most likely to be your way in, and unless you actually get married you will need to prove twelve months cohabitation.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Disappointing

Thank you though
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Disappointing

Thank you though
Some States do have an alternative to marriage now, where you can register your relationship as if it were a marriage. That then removes the need for the 12 months.
So if you were to come out on an evisitor for 3 months, and then the two of you decided to register your rel'ship (or even marry) THEN you could apply for a Partner Visa, assuming you are in a State that allows registration.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Pollyana that is something I didn’t even know was a possibility. Thanks

My concern would be financial as I presume I wouldn’t be eligible to work on an evictor during that time up until receiving the Partner Visa? This could be quite a wait I fear.

The state would be Queensland. quoted from their site "At least 1 of you in the relationship must have lived in Queensland for at least 6 months and you must provide evidence to prove this." is the requirement for a registered relationship.
It does not clearly state whether that is living in QLD for the covering period of your relationship or just proving one of you have lived there in the past. My partner has been in UK for the last 10 years.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana that is something I didn’t even know was a possibility. Thanks

My concern would be financial as I presume I wouldn’t be eligible to work on an evictor during that time up until receiving the Partner Visa? This could be quite a wait I fear.

The state would be Queensland. quoted from their site "At least 1 of you in the relationship must have lived in Queensland for at least 6 months and you must provide evidence to prove this." is the requirement for a registered relationship.
It does not clearly state whether that is living in QLD for the covering period of your relationship or just proving one of you have lived there in the past. My partner has been in UK for the last 10 years.
I think it does mean at the time of registering. Honestly, I think you need to wait, unfortunately if she goes on ahead it gets a lot trickier to prove defacto.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Yes, sadly it seems you're right Bermuda. Thanks anyway