Hoping to move!

Old Aug 25th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

4littlemonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move!

Hi all, I'm looking for any advice you feel happy to offer! I want to move my family to QLD and i'm not sure what i need to do. I know I need a Visa, but i don't know what one i need to apply for and what to do if successful (or not).

I'll give you a little background...

I'm in my mid 30's, married and have 4 boys (aged 2yr-11yr)
I have 16yrs+ of Customer Service Management experience
My highest level qualification is an GNVQ Advanced in Business & Finance (equiv to A levels).
My husband (late 30's) has no qualifications beyond GCSE and has worked in a warehouse environment for about 22yrs (at varying levels).
My mum lives in Australia - she married an Australian 3 years ago.
My sister is studying in Australia (mature student!)

Many thanks in advance!

Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move!

Originally Posted by 4littlemonster
Hi all, I'm looking for any advice you feel happy to offer! I want to move my family to QLD and i'm not sure what i need to do. I know I need a Visa, but i don't know what one i need to apply for and what to do if successful (or not).

My highest level qualification is an GNVQ Advanced in Business & Finance (equiv to A levels).
My husband (late 30's) has no qualifications beyond GCSE and has worked in a warehouse environment for about 22yrs (at varying levels).

Many thanks in advance!

The first thing to do is see whether you actually qualify for a visa. Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection is where to begin
Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You need to check the two lists of occupations. One is called the SOL the other the CSOL.
If your occupation is on the SOL, then you can look at skilled migration such as a 189 visa. If it is only on the CSOL then you would need either state or business sponsorship. State would be the better, so you then need to look at the lists each state produces of which occupations are available for sponsorship. Google the state and occupation list.

You would then need to calculate your points and see if you can pass the skills assessment for your occupation.

If you find this all a bit daunting, then one way is to appoint a good migration agent such as Go Matilda who will do a initial assessment for free.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance!

Mums and sisters don't really come into it much.

As others have said, the first thing to do is check the SOL and CSOL and see if your occupations are on either list. You will find the lists by doing a search on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

I must admit, I don't feel optimistic based on what you have said, so why don't you firstly just do that and see what you find, then cone back and let us know.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

4littlemonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hoping to move!

Thanks for your responses

My occupation is on the csol list which is a start! I was just confused as to which visa i should look into, so thank you very much for helping there

I'll check out Go Matilda too

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your responses

My occupation is on the csol list which is a start! I was just confused as to which visa i should look into, so thank you very much for helping there

I'll check out Go Matilda too

Thanks
Ok so being on the CSOL means that you need sponsorship, either by an employer or by one of the state governments. So next you need to check all the state sponsorship lists and see if you can find your occupation on their sponsorship lists, they only sponsor particular occupations.

The other thing you need to do is look into the skills assessment for your occupation and see of you can pass it, it might ask for particular level of qualifications and work experience.