Holiday/working visa in Australia

Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

NBRettie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday/working visa in Australia

I have recently applied for my first British passport, through descent from my father. Still waiting to get them back, hopefully soon. My question is once I get my passports back and have dual citizenship UK/USA, would I be better off applying for my australian working/holiday visa as a US citizen or as a UK citizen. I have been on the Australian gov't site and there doesn't seem to be any differences between applying as a US or UK citizen but thought I would ask on here to see if any one has some good advice for me.

Thanks in advance
Nick
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:45 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday/working visa in Australia

Originally Posted by NBRettie
I have recently applied for my first British passport, through descent from my father. Still waiting to get them back, hopefully soon. My question is once I get my passports back and have dual citizenship UK/USA, would I be better off applying for my australian working/holiday visa as a US citizen or as a UK citizen. I have been on the Australian gov't site and there doesn't seem to be any differences between applying as a US or UK citizen but thought I would ask on here to see if any one has some good advice for me.

Thanks in advance
Nick
It makes no difference.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Pretty sure it makes a big difference. UK passport holders can get the working holiday (417) which can be extended to a total of 2 years. US passport holders have to get the Work and Holiday (462) which is only for 1 year, with no extension.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Originally Posted by Dorothy
It makes no difference.
Pretty sure it makes a big difference. UK passport holders can get the working holiday (417) which can be extended to a total of 2 years. US passport holders have to get the Work and Holiday (462) which is only for 1 year, with no extension.
Indeed, it does make a difference.

Firstly, as stated, with the UK passport the visa would be subclass 417 (Working Holiday Visa), and with a US passport subclass 462 (Work and Holiday Visa). Additionally, it's possible to get a 2nd 417 visa if you complete 3 months of specified work in regional Australia. This is not possible on a 462 - nor is it possible to obtain a 462 if you have previously used a 417, or obtain a 417 if previously used a 462.

If the OP may be interested in obtaining a 2nd visa, either extending the stay to 24 months or returning at a later date for 12 months, then using the UK passport to obtain a 417 visa is the way to go. Other eligibility requirements (e.g. age) still need to be met at time of application for the 2nd 417 visa.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Indeed, it does make a difference.

Firstly, as stated, with the UK passport the visa would be subclass 417 (Working Holiday Visa), and with a US passport subclass 462 (Work and Holiday Visa). Additionally, it's possible to get a 2nd 417 visa if you complete 3 months of specified work in regional Australia. This is not possible on a 462 - nor is it possible to obtain a 462 if you have previously used a 417, or obtain a 417 if previously used a 462.

If the OP may be interested in obtaining a 2nd visa, either extending the stay to 24 months or returning at a later date for 12 months, then using the UK passport to obtain a 417 visa is the way to go. Other eligibility requirements (e.g. age) still need to be met at time of application for the 2nd 417 visa.

Thank you, that is what I had thought the case was but could not find the information about it. I also couldn't remember if it was with the US or UK passport I was able to get that second year visa.

So also it sounds like if, for instance, I was to stay in Australia for a year on a 417, then at the end of that year leave and say spend a few months in England I could then whenever I want apply for that second 417 with out restrictions, other than the normal ones. Am I correct in saying that?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NBRettie
So also it sounds like if, for instance, I was to stay in Australia for a year on a 417, then at the end of that year leave and say spend a few months in England I could then whenever I want apply for that second 417 with out restrictions, other than the normal ones. Am I correct in saying that?
Yes, as long as you have met the specified work requirements on the first visa (with proof), and also meet the other eligibility requirements at the time of applying for the second visa (e.g. age).
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Yes, as long as you have met the specified work requirements on the first visa (with proof), and also meet the other eligibility requirements at the time of applying for the second visa (e.g. age).
Awesome, thank you so much!!