Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

HIV Applicant for Partner Visa (thinking 820/801 or similar)

Wikiposts

HIV Applicant for Partner Visa (thinking 820/801 or similar)

Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:23 am
Just Joined

EverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant future
Default HIV Applicant for Partner Visa (thinking 820/801 or similar)

Hello,

I have had a read through the forum, but some of the posts i have noticed are pretty dated..... and some of the advise (for instance links to agents who Website was last updated 2004!!!!) so thought i would start a new one and see where i end up!

Basically, I am in a long term same sex (de facto) relationship with an Australian Citizen and we currently live in the UK (he is a dual national).
I am HIV positive and he is HIV negative.

The time has come where he wishes to return to Australia... he is very unhappy here in the UK and wishes to return home.... with me! =)

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any personal experiences or has any advise for us? I wish to apply for a Partner visa (820 or 801)... but are we better off doing this out here in the UK or me going to Australia on a 1year working holiday visa and then at the end of that year taking it from there? Or if anyone has any contacts? (pref. in the UK) that can give us a hand?

Thank you
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

rackspace is a jewel in the roughrackspace is a jewel in the roughrackspace is a jewel in the roughrackspace is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: HIV Applicant for Partner Visa (thinking 820/801 or similar)

it is almost impossible for you to get australian visa because of HIV.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:03 am
Just Joined

EverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant futureEverythingCrossed has a brilliant future

You can sometimes be granted a "waiver" and i believe one of these circumstances is when you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen and they believe you will not be of "undue" cost to Australia.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give up or be put off trying, many people have gotten into Australia with HIV, as stated above there is a waver, and it is usually for people in a relationship or family member of an Australian Citizen.

It can also depend on how developed it is, for example they majority of people who have been granted the waver have HIV which has not progressed to AIDS.

Good luck.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:25 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rackspace
says who?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That is blatantly untrue. Unless you can show some evidence to that effect I would suggest you don't go posting as if it's gospel.

OP, if it were me I would check contact a very good migration agent who is experienced with health issues. George Lombard here in Australia (Sydney) is often recommended. Your agent doesn't need to be in UK, since most of them work either via phone or email anyway. Good luck with it all.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:22 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That is blatantly untrue. Unless you can show some evidence to that effect I would suggest you don't go posting as if it's gospel.

OP, if it were me I would check contact a very good migration agent who is experienced with health issues. George Lombard here in Australia (Sydney) is often recommended. Your agent doesn't need to be in UK, since most of them work either via phone or email anyway. Good luck with it all.
+1

I definitely think it's worth having a chat with a MARA registered agent. Good luck OP. I hope you get it sorted.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Guys,

Thank you SO much! after seeing that first response my stomach dropped.... my partner is REALLy unhappy here in the UK and desperate to go home and be with his family and I'm more than happy to go.... in fact would be extactic to move to Australia!!

Thank you so much for your advice!! it's something we r going to do! I've seen a qoute from someone on another site from someone saying they was quoted 5000AUD (they was also HIV), do u think this is all in? or just the advisors/lawyers fees and then we have to pay the visa fees on top of that?!

just trying to get an idea of how much we r talking.....

thank you so much for giving me some hope
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EverythingCrossed
Guys,

Thank you SO much! after seeing that first response my stomach dropped.... my partner is REALLy unhappy here in the UK and desperate to go home and be with his family and I'm more than happy to go.... in fact would be extactic to move to Australia!!

Thank you so much for your advice!! it's something we r going to do! I've seen a qoute from someone on another site from someone saying they was quoted 5000AUD (they was also HIV), do u think this is all in? or just the advisors/lawyers fees and then we have to pay the visa fees on top of that?!

just trying to get an idea of how much we r talking.....

thank you so much for giving me some hope
Don't get your hopes up too high.
http://www.visabureau.com/australia/...australia.aspx

238 people were granted waivers in 2009. So it's not exactly an 'open door' policy, though that link does say that things may be getting easier.
Surprising really, when you read that those 238 went on to cost nearly $60m in health costs.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 29th 2012 at 6:57 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst it was incorrect to say that it was almost impossible, it certainly won't be straight forward either. This looks like a useful reference document.

http://www.afao.org.au/__data/assets..._Sept_2011.pdf
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck anyway. You may indeed have a case for a waiver as your partner is a citizen. The most important thing is to engage one of the highly respected Mara agents mentioned frequently here - there are a couple of names that always crop up and you don't need one in your country.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:32 am
Just Joined

already on the case with one recommended..... arranging a telephone consultation with him soon!

he is one who comes highly recommended on here and has handled cases successfully of HIV applicants previously.

I will keep you all posted as to how it goes!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:19 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EverythingCrossed
already on the case with one recommended..... arranging a telephone consultation with him soon!

he is one who comes highly recommended on here and has handled cases successfully of HIV applicants previously.

I will keep you all posted as to how it goes!
good luck mate