Hi...need some advice

Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Nickireg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi...need some advice

I am currently living in the UK. I am in the process of trying to work in either or both, the Cairns area of Australia and the Auckland area of New Zealand. I have friends in these places. I am a EYFS and Primary teacher and my school said they will give me six months to explore education in other countries and have my job open when I return. I have to return as I have a husband who unfortunately cannot come with me due to his job, but I will be taking my two year old son. Hopefully the return will be excitement of trying to get back out to either one of these countries in the future with my husband in tow! Feeling nervous but so excited to take a risk and explore eduction and the world a bit more, giving more opportunities for my son too as he loves the outdoors.

Where do I start? I have sent my CV to my friend in Cairns to give to her teacher friend. It's trying to jump through hoops and get my name out there!

Last edited by Nickireg; Sep 29th 2013 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi...need some advice

Do you have a visa? And are you registered to teach in these places?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:45 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are travelling with your son, how do you plan on being able to work, even if you sort out the visa issue, and get a school to offer you some work? Do you have family in either place?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

No visa yet and I am just beginning to look and I can't come out until the end of next year. I will stop with friends in either place. Hoping son will to do day care, nursery, friends will help like he's used to here in the UK. If needs be my son will have to stay in the uk with my husband, but it will be great for him to see various opportunities down under.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Not registered yet, but looked into it yesterday,
Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

First thing first.

The visa is the main one. This is not a simple process.

Then you need to look to see if you are eligible to work as a teacher. The rules in Oz are different.

Then you need to see if there are jobs. I don't know about northern QLD, but in a number of places primary teaching jobs are in very short supply.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickireg
No visa yet and I am just beginning to look and I can't come out until the end of next year. I will stop with friends in either place. Hoping son will to do day care, nursery, friends will help like he's used to here in the UK. If needs be my son will have to stay in the uk with my husband, but it will be great for him to see various opportunities down under.
Well I cannot think of a visa that would be suitable for what you want to do to be honest. The skilled migrant visa would be quite an effort for six months work in Australia. You can't go on a WHV with a child and nor would the child even be able to visit you, I don't now if you are too old for this visa anyway. So that leaves finding an employer sponsor, but primary school teaching posts are hard fought for even without needing a visa.

So hard to know where to go with this one. Where did you get the idea from? I am wondering if you know something none of us do...?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently living in the UK. I am in the process of trying to work in either or both, the Cairns area of Australia and the Auckland area of New Zealand. I have friends in these places. I am a EYFS and Primary teacher and my school said they will give me six months to explore education in other countries and have my job open when I return. I have to return as I have a husband who unfortunately cannot come with me due to his job, but I will be taking my two year old son. Hopefully the return will be excitement of trying to get back out to either one of these countries in the future with my husband in tow! Feeling nervous but so excited to take a risk and explore eduction and the world a bit more, giving more opportunities for my son too as he loves the outdoors.

Where do I start? I have sent my CV to my friend in Cairns to give to her teacher friend. It's trying to jump through hoops and get my name out there!
Welcome to BE

The visa that people usually get for just 6 months in Aus is the Working Holiday Visa, but woth your child accompanying you that is out straight away, plus you may be too old (have to have the visa before you are 31).

A 457 is a possible, IF your skill is on the list and you have the right qualifications to teach here, and IF you can get sponsorship.
An independent Skills Visa 189 or a State sponsored 190 are a lot more work to get for just 6 months, and again your skills must be on the right list, and meet the requirements to teach here.

Make sure if you are set on Cairns that you look at the requirements for Queensland in particular as well as Aus in general as each State is different.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ is where you will need to start visa-wise and I'll move your thread to the Immigration forum.
There's also a teaching forum here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Not sure whether NZ would be easier, but their Immigration forum is here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108
Old Sep 30th 2013, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys. It is a dream so I have a slight doubt it will happen. Luckily my field is Early Years which I have seen on the visa list. Do you think it would be easier if I try and look for coming out for a year?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 5:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. It is a dream so I have a slight doubt it will happen. Luckily my field is Early Years which I have seen on the visa list. Do you think it would be easier if I try and look for coming out for a year?
You would still need either a 457 (employer sponsored) or a full PR visa. I guess obtaining sponsorship is more likely if you commit to a year, but you would still need to go through the registration process in order to be able to work here.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I guessed I would need sponsorship to get a job.