Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Hi, is getting 8 in IELTS academic module achievable?

Hi, is getting 8 in IELTS academic module achievable?

Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

luck-2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi, is getting 8 in IELTS academic module achievable?

Hi, I need to have 8 in my academic writing. To be precise, 8 in each skills. I have ever got 8 in other skills, but just not for the writing. My score is around 6.5- 7. Out of all my attempts, I only managed to get 7 once though.

I have bought several cambridge book, attended courses, read tips in some blogs etc, but I am still questioning myself if this is achievable? I took the test last saturday, and felt that I have screwed it up.

Helps? Suggestions? Encouragement?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:01 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, is getting 8 in IELTS academic module achievable?

I have 9's in each area but I sat the academic test as I'd been told (wrongly) that you couldn't get 8.0's on the general test. I'm an electrician with some higher study, English first language if that helps
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I have 9's in each area but I sat the academic test as I'd been told (wrongly) that you couldn't get 8.0's on the general test. I'm an electrician with some higher study, English first language if that helps
Wow.. Are you serious?!! But why do you still need to take the test if english is already your first language? Just out of curiousity?

Well, if you just lied, that's fine. It is still some sort of encouragement. =)

Last edited by luck-2; Sep 19th 2012 at 11:32 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:37 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luck-2
Wow.. Are you serious?!! But why do you still need to take the test if english is already your first language? Just out of curiousity?

Well, if you just lied, that's fine. It is still some sort of encouragement. =)
Only holders of certain passports are able to use them to exempt themselves from taking the IELTS test. However, there are plenty of people that take it anyway because they need the extra points.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Only holders of certain passports are able to use them to exempt themselves from taking the IELTS test. However, there are plenty of people that take it anyway because they need the extra points.
Yep - needed the 20 points
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yep - needed the 20 points
Ohh right!! You are truly amazing..
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:41 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

Hi, I need to have 8 in my academic writing. To be precise, 8 in each skills. I have ever got 8 in other skills, but just not for the writing. My score is around 6.5- 7. Out of all my attempts, I only managed to get 7 once though.

I have bought several cambridge book, attended courses, read tips in some blogs etc, but I am still questioning myself if this is achievable? I took the test last saturday, and felt that I have screwed it up.

Helps? Suggestions? Encouragement?

Thanks in advance.
What kind of courses did you attend? The reason I asked this question is in countries like Pakistan, every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he can start teaching English/IELTS. Many consultants whose primary job is dealing with educational visa has also started IELTS courses as a side business (this was true while I was back there, it might be worst by now). The other just teach spoken part of English. You need to get in touch with a qualified instructor who knows English (as a subject matter) and ideally a former IELTS examiner. Knowing the IELTS test format is one thing (the Cambridge books, reading tips help there), knowing rules of English language grammar is an entirely different matter. You need to go through the grammar rules (specially rules regarding complex sentences) and increase your vocabulary to attain a high score.

Cheers,

Usman
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uzi
What kind of courses did you attend? The reason I asked this question is in countries like Pakistan, every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he can start teaching English/IELTS. Many consultants whose primary job is dealing with educational visa has also started IELTS courses as a side business (this was true while I was back there, it might be worst by now). The other just teach spoken part of English. You need to get in touch with a qualified instructor who knows English (as a subject matter) and ideally a former IELTS examiner. Knowing the IELTS test format is one thing (the Cambridge books, reading tips help there), knowing rules of English language grammar is an entirely different matter. You need to go through the grammar rules (specially rules regarding complex sentences) and increase your vocabulary to attain a high score.

Cheers,

Usman
Hi, the course is pretty good. The teacher is not native speaker but she has had a lot of experience in teaching IELTS. I understand where you are coming from, but well, I did a bit of research first before deciding to take a course there.

Anyway, I am just wondering if 8 is achievable. None of my friends or people who I know ever got 8 in writing, thus it is sort of discouraging me a bit. So, if any of you who read this post and had obtained 8 in academic writing, please reply. In that way, i will know that this is not something impossible.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the course is pretty good. The teacher is not native speaker but she has had a lot of experience in teaching IELTS. I understand where you are coming from, but well, I did a bit of research first before deciding to take a course there.

Anyway, I am just wondering if 8 is achievable. None of my friends or people who I know ever got 8 in writing, thus it is sort of discouraging me a bit. So, if any of you who read this post and had obtained 8 in academic writing, please reply. In that way, i will know that this is not something impossible.

Thanks
I got 8 in writing, 8 in speaking and 8.5 in listening. I am not a native English speaker, so it is achievable. I just practiced for 3 weeks with the materials available online. So yes with lots of hard work you can achieve 8.0's across the categories.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by giri26
I got 8 in writing, 8 in speaking and 8.5 in listening. I am not a native English speaker, so it is achievable. I just practiced for 3 weeks with the materials available online. So yes with lots of hard work you can achieve 8.0's across the categories.
Oh thanks! that sheds a bit of light! Do you write one essay each day for practice?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks! that sheds a bit of light! Do you write one essay each day for practice?
Yes I wrote at least one letter and one essay everyday during those 3 weeks. Best of luck on your preparation.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:55 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

Thanks
There is a difference in just teaching IELTS and knowing the subject matter (English) and understanding how IELTS examination itself works. IELTS examiners are trained and required to evaluate on very specific style and pattern of writing (and speaking module). Usually the native speakers are well-versed in these specifics (naturally) and get 8 or 9 easily. The non-native speakers, if they are exposed to English at various levels, educational institutes, daily exposure, magazines, news etc. also manage to get high score. However, if you are constantly getting 6.5-7, then clearly you need guidance on your style of writing.

Yes, it is possible to get 8 in academic writing module (for non-native speakers). Heck, even 9 is possible. Have you actually gone through what does an 8 band means in IELTS?

8 - Very Good User - Has full operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
They key is the last part, you need to show through your writing and speaking that you can create and defend a complex detailed argument on given topic(s).

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:17 am

If you google it, you can find examples of IELTS essays written to the standard of an 8.0 or better - that's what I did even though I'm British so I understood what it was they were looking for in the exam
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:17 am
Just Joined

cyber_drac is an unknown quantity at this point

Be prepared. IELTS is an exam ! More you prepare more you get. Good Luck
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for all the comments, suggestions, wishes etc. I will keep you all updated with my results. Hopefully I can get the score I want. Fingercrossed..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.