Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IT helpdesk job and ACS - Professional experience

IT helpdesk job and ACS - Professional experience

Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

FutureOz2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT helpdesk job and ACS - Professional experience

How do the ACS view an IT helpdesk job?

Is it seen as professional experience?

Or would one have to 'move up the ladder' to another higher IT job such as Network or System Administrator?

And combined with a OU degree (IT related).
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice
Default Re: IT helpdesk job and ACS - Professional experience

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016

Or would one have to 'move up the ladder' to another higher IT job such as Network or System Administrator?

I think it depends on the duties involved. If the helpdesk job is just answering the phone and logging call tickets to be passed to other teams then the ACS probably wouldnt entertain it.

If you were doing some kind of first/second line support role too...ie resolving issues, in a technician/engineer role, then you will probably be ok.

I dont know about the degree though.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie

I dont know about the degree though.
The ACS require a degree plus four years experience
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

khdmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
IT Helpdesk is not issue .....you need to show your responsibilities in detail
Plus you need a IT Degree with 4 years experience
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by khdmah
Hi
IT Helpdesk is not issue .....you need to show your responsibilities in detail
Plus you need a IT Degree with 4 years experience
Mmmm, interesting. I'd always assumed I'd have to have moved up the ladder from a Helpdesk job.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice

I suppose it depends on what your responsibilities at the helpdesk are: let's say you work at Cisco, and network administrators call you for assistance with advanced router configs it should be okay. If users phone you going "my printer won't print!", then it probably falls under technician.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

ACS requires experience in ICT related jobs. If you can show some growth in your carreer path that is a definite plus. But for reference: before I actually started to work as an ICT professional (in an ICT business, where I worked for over 8 years in multiple roles), I was a department ICT coordinator in an engineering office. In this role I performed mainly helpdesk related tasks, from enabling persons to use specific software and management of user accounts to preparation of simple reports before I moved to more specific database related work. All of my years I worked for this company have been acknowledged by the ACS.

I am sure you can word the tasks performed during your work in such a way that it is clearly seen as ICT related work on a professional level. If your reference letters from your employer are not specific enough you can consider to add your own statement. Just make sure you state facts so things can survive a closer check.

Cheers,
Sylvia
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

But would an IT helpdesk job come under the category Computing Support Technician (3294-11), which is 'only' 40 points and isn't assessed by the ACS
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But would an IT helpdesk job come under the category Computing Support Technician (3294-11), which is 'only' 40 points and isn't assessed by the ACS
Have you thought to ask ACS?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

elementv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I had experience of working as a technical support engineer supporting desktops in my first job. The next job was with an IT helpdesk and later got promoted to another role in the same company. Now I'm with a third company. When ACS evaluated my application they considered all the experience and I was put under Computing professionals (nec) as my current role is in process consulting. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

I believe you need to be assesed by another body
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:51 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wookiee06
I believe you need to be assesed by another body
Not necessarily so. Technical support or helpdesk analyst falls within the ACS's list of occupations, if the specific duties are of a professional level.

Regards
Peter
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ptlabs
Not necessarily so. Technical support or helpdesk analyst falls within the ACS's list of occupations, if the specific duties are of a professional level.

Regards
Peter
Technical support Engineer is the correct class, and its not help desk.

According to a member of the ACS. Technical support Engineer uses programming lanaguages or os scripting to help with supporting software in 2rd line or 3rd line of support.

Before applying i asked about this ACS class and others

Last edited by wookiee06; Oct 20th 2009 at 2:09 pm. Reason: nsw
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Technical Support Officer is listed under Information Communication Technology Professionals (nec) ASCO 2231-79.

Perhaps it would've been a better idea to have had a look through this ACS document
https://www.acs.org.au/assessment/do...bruary2009.pdf
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Technical Support Officer is listed under Information Communication Technology Professionals (nec) ASCO 2231-79.

Perhaps it would've been a better idea to have had a look through this ACS document
https://www.acs.org.au/assessment/do...bruary2009.pdf

havent already gone through the process and recieved a positive assesment and as Ive known people and myself ACs called it TSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.