British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   HELP!! Visa Advice Required Urgently (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-visa-advice-required-urgently-727901/)

CIBSE1974 Aug 8th 2011 6:08 pm

HELP!! Visa Advice Required Urgently

We have recently been advised that our 175 Visa application has been rejected because the title I put down for my UK role did not match the title of the role I was applying for under my Visa, I had listed my role in the UK as a Building Services Engineer and as this role did not come up on the Visa application the closest role listed we could select being a Mechanical Engineer so this is what was selected.

We did not feel this was an issue as this would have happened before and to our suprise because of this they have declined the application without assessing any further and my qualifications and experience being taken into consideration.

We have replied to the email notification but ask for help and guidance on this issue and hope there is somebody who can assist in this matter and advise us how best to deal with this set back quickly?

Many Thanks
CIBSE1974

Jensanco Aug 8th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: HELP!! Visa Advice Required Urgently

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9545265)
We have recently been advised that our 175 Visa application has been rejected because the title I put down for my UK role did not match the title of the role I was applying for under my Visa, I had listed my role in the UK as a Building Services Engineer and as this role did not come up on the Visa application the closest role listed we could select being a Mechanical Engineer so this is what was selected.

We did not feel this was an issue as this would have happened before and to our suprise because of this they have declined the application without assessing any further and my qualifications and experience being taken into consideration.

We have replied to the email notification but ask for help and guidance on this issue and hope there is somebody who can assist in this matter and advise us how best to deal with this set back quickly?

Many Thanks
CIBSE1974

My husbands role is listed differently in Australia to what it is here in the UK, did you take advice before selecting that title can I just ask?
Does the Australian job title you chose accurately fit the desription of what you do ?

Have a search through the visa's and immiggration part of Australia section on this website you may find you get more help there,
I think many Aussie's are in bed sleeping right now or those that are over that part of the world so try not to panic, Rome wasn't built in a day another day taking time over going through whats happened and ascertaining if it can be resolved won't take any harm

Try and remain positive

CIBSE1974 Aug 8th 2011 6:26 pm

The role listed on the application list is an accurate description of my UK position and we did not take any advise because the whole process did not complicated!!!

We just hope this simple error can be resolved?

Thanks
CIBSE1974

jothefw Aug 8th 2011 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9545300)
The role listed on the application list is an accurate description of my UK position and we did not take any advise because the whole process did not complicated!!!

Thanks
CIBSE1974

In my opinion and experience, the visa process is very complicated.

From the advice of our migration agent, due to staffing cut backs and budget cut backs the Department is overloaded with work. Years ago they would question something like your query and give chance to rectify etc. Now it's a simple refusal it would seem. This isn't the first time I have read of something similar happening.

All that doesn't help you in your situation though - if I were you I would be taking some advice from a registered agent and whilst it might be too late, perhaps they can help you take the next step?

But then I get the post office to help with passport forms, just so we get everything right first time.

Pollyana Aug 9th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9545300)

Thanks
CIBSE1974

You would be best advised to speak to a registered agent, asap and before talking to DIAC again. An agent can review your options, DIAC can only deal with the info they have in front of them.

George Lombard Aug 9th 2011 3:28 am

Many Thanks
CIBSE1974

Hi CIBSE,

What occupation were you skills assessed in? Unfortunately it's not all that easy to get a refusal decision reversed, particularly as for the 175 there's no merits review.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Red_V_Roger Aug 9th 2011 8:30 am

Many Thanks
CIBSE1974

Sorry to hear your situation. I am a mechanical engineer by qualification and I cannot see how that equals Building Services Engineer...so I can see where DIAC have come from.

A mechanical engineer understands mechanical design, calculating stresses, welding, fabrication, machining, etc. From the Wiki description at least BSE appears to be "the engineering of the internal environment and environmental impact of a building"...very different.

George Lombard Aug 9th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 9546733)
Sorry to hear your situation. I am a mechanical engineer by qualification and I cannot see how that equals Building Services Engineer...so I can see where DIAC have come from.

A mechanical engineer understands mechanical design, calculating stresses, welding, fabrication, machining, etc. From the Wiki description at least BSE appears to be "the engineering of the internal environment and environmental impact of a building"...very different.

A bit tough Roger - in terms of the mechanical services inside a large building - HVAC, lifts, waste disposal etc it's not inconceivable and best to let him put his case forward.

Cheers,

George Lombard

emonje Aug 9th 2011 10:57 am

I'm sorry to hear that.

Did your CO asked you to comment on the situation before refusal?

As far I know (from first hand experience unfortunately), DIAC will ask for applicant's comments if there's any discrepancies between what you put down in your app and the information they get.

CIBSE1974 Aug 9th 2011 7:06 pm

We had no comments from DIAC regarding the discrepancy which is what is frustrating given that I meet all the qualifications and experience criteria required.

The title Building Services Engineer in the UK covers all aspects of HVAC, plumbing, air conditioning, drainage and controls but on the Visa appliation the title which covered all these items was a Mechanical Engineer and as we had already completed phase 1 of the application and we did not see this as an issue as somebody would ask for clarification.

We simply do not know what to do now and have heard lots of stories of Visa firms charging excessive fees to complete the application hence why after looking at the process did not think it was to difficult and carried out the process ourselves but we are now stuck and cannot afford to apply for the new visa again and have invested in flights and accomodation to come out in September 2011 as we thought our application would be approved by then.

Any help out there?

Thanks

CIBSE1974

George Lombard Aug 9th 2011 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9548284)
We had no comments from DIAC regarding the discrepancy which is what is frustrating given that I meet all the qualifications and experience criteria required.

The title Building Services Engineer in the UK covers all aspects of HVAC, plumbing, air conditioning, drainage and controls but on the Visa appliation the title which covered all these items was a Mechanical Engineer and as we had already completed phase 1 of the application and we did not see this as an issue as somebody would ask for clarification.

We simply do not know what to do now and have heard lots of stories of Visa firms charging excessive fees to complete the application hence why after looking at the process did not think it was to difficult and carried out the process ourselves but we are now stuck and cannot afford to apply for the new visa again and have invested in flights and accomodation to come out in September 2011 as we thought our application would be approved by then.

Any help out there?

Thanks

CIBSE1974

Hi Cibse,

As I suspected.

FWIW an agent ought to be aware of the potential pitfalls and prepare your application accordingly. The new policy in General Skilled Migration is to force people to be very precise about their occupations and it's now possible for people to go to Engineers Australia, TRA, Vetassess, and ANMAC to have their work experience validated prior to application. People with occupations which have subtle distinctions ought to consider using these services. Sadly, the most difficult distinctions are in IT, for which there's no such service. Go figure :-(

Cibse the 175 refusal is final except in unique circumstances - in your situation I think it's worth getting professional advice but there won't be any guarantees.

Cheers,

George Lombard

CIBSE1974 Aug 10th 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 9548425)
Hi Cibse,

As I suspected.

FWIW an agent ought to be aware of the potential pitfalls and prepare your application accordingly. The new policy in General Skilled Migration is to force people to be very precise about their occupations and it's now possible for people to go to Engineers Australia, TRA, Vetassess, and ANMAC to have their work experience validated prior to application. People with occupations which have subtle distinctions ought to consider using these services. Sadly, the most difficult distinctions are in IT, for which there's no such service. Go figure :-(

Cibse the 175 refusal is final except in unique circumstances - in your situation I think it's worth getting professional advice but there won't be any guarantees.

Cheers,

George Lombard

George can you not help us I see you are a migration agent?

Or can you recommend somebody please?

Thanks

CIBSE1974

moneypenny20 Aug 10th 2011 6:15 am

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9549617)

Thanks

CIBSE1974

You would have to contact George direct, his details are in his link. He, very kindly (and we're more than grateful) offers general advice free of charge on here but won't, and can't offer specific help to an individual for obvious reasons.

Good luck with it.

George Lombard Aug 10th 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974 (Post 9549617)

Thanks

CIBSE1974

Hi CIBSE,

Yes of course I can try to help but I wasn't sure you wanted to get professional advice. My office email address is [email protected] .

Cheers,

George Lombard

hoofie2002 Aug 11th 2011 2:12 am

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 9546749)
A bit tough Roger - in terms of the mechanical services inside a large building - HVAC, lifts, waste disposal etc it's not inconceivable and best to let him put his case forward.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Roger was being absolutely correct. A Building Services Engineer is not the same thing at all. I can see why the OP may have considered Mechanical Engineer to be a close fit but the comparison is not really valid.